“Simply ok, nothing special.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Tulip Rome Airport

Save Saved
You added Golden Tulip Rome Airport to your Saves list
Golden Tulip Rome Airport
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Scafa 416, 00054 Fiumicino, Italy (Formerly Hotel Club Isola Sacra)   |
Ranked #5 of 21 hotels in Fiumicino
the Netherlands
“Simply ok, nothing special.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed here for one night in Ostia Antica, and it was not a bad choice.

We had a room for three people without balcony. A double bed with an additional bed. Beds were ok, nothing special. Room had a fair size with a bigger bathroom as expected. Clean linnen, bathroom could use a litle bit more attention when it`s cleaned (molt on tiles). Aircon was not working. It was a bit hot in the room (fourth floor, old building) and we could not put on the aircon. Walls are obviously thin, could hear conversations of our neighbours. Breakfast was descent, nothing special and the same as the rest of Italy. Breakfast only till 09.30 AM.

Parking was free, location of hotel is near the airport. I think that it's impossible to reach the hotel by public transport.

It's about 15 min to the beach in Lido di Ostia. Nicer to eat in Lido di Ostia at night since the area near the hotel is not very special. Some local restaurants nearby. Restaurant in hotel was ok, nice food but not very cheap. Pool looks nice and it had a descent size, but the water was too cold to swim when we were there (last week of April 2013). Wifi free available in the room, speed was moderate. You need a new code every few days, available at the reception.

Room price for three with breakfast was about €110 including city tax of €2 pppn. We stayed in the old part (left part of the hotel, right side above recepion seems newer with balcony). Room price was a bit high, probably the high price is only caused by proximity to Fiumicino airport.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

571 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
  • Greek first
omaha
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Stayed one night this month after 2 weeks in Italy. This hotel was picked by our travel agent due to proximity to the airport. I'd agree with the majority of the reviews I read on this site before our stay.

The Good:
- Not too far from the airport
- Room was pretty nice
- Close to Ostia
- Wifi was good....unlike what other reviews mentioned
- Shower better than most of the 5-star hotels we stayed in during our trip.

The Bad:
- Location. Not easy to find for the taxi driver. Located in a residential area.
- Not a lot of dining options within walking distance
- Patio door wouldn't/didn't lock. All the balconies are connected so anyone could have entered our balcony door if they wanted.
- Staff was generally indifferent...not bad, but not great either.
- Breakfast buffet looked "sad". Was included with our stay, but we decided to skip it.
- 3 miles from airport and they charge 6 Euro per person for one-way trip....seemed a little high.

Recommendation:
- If I had to do it again, I'd stay at a Hilton closer to the airport.
- If you stay here, and have a few free hours, take the bus to Ostia (seaside town only a few miles away). You can't walk to Ostia due the busy roads, and lack of sidewalks, but it's a quick bus hop. The bus stop is right outside the hotel and only cost 1.5 Euro each way. Ostia is full of eateries/cafes and a better option than eating/drinking in the hotel. Just make sure you know how to catch the bus back and know how to buy bus tickets (not that the bus drivers ever check). Hopefully the front desk can help explain.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were going to Rome for Easter week and had rented an apartment in Rome for the week. Unfortunately our flight was due to arrive at Rome Fiumicino airport at midnight making it unsuitable to make a transfer to the city. So knowing that I chose the Golden Tulip Isola Sacra as our Rome opening.

The hotel is rated 4 stars and I quite agree with it. The hotel was superb (contrary to most hotels in Europe) with good facilities, helpful staff and absolute cleanliness. We wished we could have enjoyed it more but we arrived after midnight after an transcontinental flight and were extremely tired and jet-lagged. Next day we had to wake up early to check in to our apartment in Rome city.

I had a prepaid reservation for one night (double room) and when we arrived they had no troubles in finding our reservation. Checking out was also quick.Downside was that the staff kept our passports until the morning.

We had a room in the 2nd floor with view to the pool. The bed was absolutely comfortable as well as the room temperature (a/c). The bathroom was also very nice. Breakfast was a buffet style but what I didn't like (we were nearly the last because we arrived for breakfast late) was that the staff at the breakfast room seemed to be too watchful as if you were going to do something bad, they need to ease up.

The transfer from the hotel was I believe EUR 6 / person and was just fine to arrive to the airport some 5-10 minutes away. Unfortunately their airport shuttle service has a very limited schedule (we caught the last one out at around 10AM I think).

Going to the hotel late at night was a bit troublesome as their shuttle service is not available that late. If you are at the airport the taxi drivers will try to charge you EUR 30 for the ride which is outrageous. Make sure to go to terminal 3 (if I remember correctly) where the Fiumicino taxis are near the airborne passage/tunnel. It costed us EUR 20 for both which I believe was also a bit excessive considering the short distance.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I've stayed the days 3rd and 6th March 2013 in this hotel. The staff is absolutely great! I left one bag of mine in the storage because needed to make a short trip of 2 days and everything was very fine. Besides, I had the bad luck of forget my credit card in the taxi which was called by the hotel, and I only missed it one day later, when I was far away. But the staff found the driver, took back my card and sent it to me with my authorization, on time that I get it before come back home. It was very very nice from them, since I've forgot things even less valuable in hotels before (including a 5 stars in Malta) and they never send me anything, always passing the time and nothing. So, thanks for Mr. Pasquale for this attention and good care.
Independent of that, the hotel is just beautiful, brand new, amazing restaurant, comfortable rooms, silent, everything great. I wish it would be in middle of city with the same price...heheh but, still is worth to stay there if you have a long connection in Rome or even don't mind to take a short trip train everyday to the center of city.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Amman, Jordan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

l want to thank everyone who works in this hotel , everything was excellent ,wonderful team from A -Z so kind , friendly and polite , l am waiting my next trip to stay in this hotel again :) :) really excellentttttttttt :)

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Malta EU
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Very helpfull staff, a clean hotel and a good restaurant.We arrived very tired from a cruise. The hotel staff took all our luggage to our room.The food in the restaurant was good and wholesome, plus a good selection and all at a fair price. Breakfast next morning was continental. It was all fresh. Again the staff were very helpful. The hotel rates are very competitive. Plus a shuttle bus to and from Fuimicino airport. We loved our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Orebro, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Hotel has a pool and shuttle bus to the airport, it takes only 7-8 minutes to get there. Good practical rooms. Rooms are situated in two different buildings, and our opinion is that rooms with balconies (new building, reception) are of higher standard than regular rooms in building nearby. Parking is possible on site.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family

Been to Golden Tulip Rome Airport? Share your experiences!