“Great find on our last evening” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Culpeper, Virginia
“Great find on our last evening”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

We were staying at a small hotel near the airport prior to our return to the U.S. we checked tripadvisor and found Pecora Nera a block and a half away. A storefront, but nicely decorated inside. We were served a complimentary a glass of a proscecco while reading the menu. We had the vegetables cakes, Tuscan meat platter, tagiatella with asparagus, and lamb. All delicious!

We passed on dessert, but our waiter insisted on bringing us newly fried donuts from his grandmother. She came out from the kitchen at the end and we were able to tell her how much we enjoyed the meal.

• Visited June 2012

96% Recommend
San Francisco, California
“A Really Nice Surprise in a Totally Out of the Way Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2011

Our hotel recommended this restaurant and we're glad they did. On a residental side street in Fiumicino, the space was nice, the owners welcoming and friendly, and the food very good. The house wine was delicious and very moderate in price. They served us some very good bruschetta prior to our pasta dishes. And there is no typical cover charge, as in most Italian restaurants. If you're staying overnight in Fiumicino, this place is definitely worlh finding and enjoying. The food is completely homemade and authentic.

• Visited April 2011
Fairmont
“A good surprise to end our stay in Fiumicino”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

We happened upon this restaurant trying to find our way back in the dark to our hotel after an adventure down at the sea side and no restaurants open.
The grandson greeted us warmly and assisted us in choosing foods to our liking. He recommended his grandmothers vegetable cakes (we call them breaded deep fried vegetables in USA). We ordered them and were quite satisfied. My husband ordered the salami platter which he also enjoyed. Grandma sent us a plate of her style of Bruschettia (a grilled bread with cheese and raw bacon). We both ordered pasta's and enjoyed them. Husband had a nice rose wine and I had water. It was pleasurable to watch this family interact with each other and see what goes on in the kitchen. Grandma had to come out and turn TV on to see if she won the lottery. So funny. Grandson began eating and brought me a glass of the wine he had opened for himself. It was a very nice mild white wine which I enjoyed. We asked for the check and paid but then were requested to stay for grandmother had prepared us some of her donuts. We were exhausted but thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant and highly recommend it.

Maine
“Truly a great family run restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2010

We ate at la Pecora Nera during our last night in Italy, staying at a hotel in Fiumicino, quite close to the airport. We didn't have high expectations because this is a somewhat nondescript area of town but ended up having a wonderful experience. This is truly a neighborhood family restaurant, from grandmother up and down between the kitchen and the nearby "family table," to the waitress tending her child between serving customers. The food was spectacular and the wine list exceptional. We were given an English language menu so I asked for a menu in Italian. Our waiter (one of the grandsons) laughed and said they didn't have one. I thought he was joking and then realized that for the local "non-tourists" they basically do a prix fixe nightly dinner, which he described and we promptly ordered. The antipasti and pasta carbonara were about the best we'd had during our monthlong trip in Italy followed by a great bistecca tagliata. The service was wonderful and friendly and the meal followed by a unique walnut amora digestivo. All in all, a delightful last meal in Italy.

• 5 of 5 stars Food
Boston, MA
“Slow service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2009

I recently spent a night in Rome on my way home from Malta. I had previously spent 3 days in Rome this past August, so I know what good food and good service is in Rome. This restaurant is in the Fiumicino district, and was one of the only restaurants open in late October. I went there only because it was the only open restaurant the desk clerk at my hotel could recommend. When I first arrived, they were closed because they were in the middle of a party but there were no signs advising customers of this. I returned at 7pm, as they advised. Their menu is VERY limited as all they have is one type of pasta- the only difference is the kind of sauce it comes with. My order was taken promptly and I did not have to wait too long for the food, but I had to wait over 40 minutes just to get the check. I asked for the check THREE times before I received it and, for the first time in my life, left a restaurant without leaving a tip. The first time I asked for the check, the waiter nodded and then went to make himself dinner and proceeded to eat it and drink wine in the dining area while leaving me waiting. I admit that I am American and have certain standards when it comes to Customer Service, but I spent 10 days in Italy earlier this year and never experienced service this poor anywhere in Rome, Venice or Florence. The only good thing about this restaurant was that the bottled water was free.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere