“Changed since other reviews” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Derby House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kildare
Derby House Hotel
Dublin Road, Kildare, Ireland   |
Ranked #1 of 1 hotels in Kildare
England
“Changed since other reviews”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2007

I am writing in response to the previous reviews about how terrible the hotel was. I stayed here recently by myself while working in Ireland as a single female traveller. In the past few months it has changed hands and the new owners have made a lot of improvements, including changing the name to the Derby House hotel. Admittedly the rooms werent great, considering during the same week i stayed at the Horse & Jockey in Thurles which was beautiful i might add, but they are all being renovated in the next few months as is most of the hotel.

The only "undesirables" i came across were when i was leaving the hotel at 4am to get to the airport and there were a few men still in the bar, i presume they were residents.

During my stay all of the hotel staff were fabulous and i never felt threatened or unsafe. Also there was no hint of a fishy smell so all is well now.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

31 people have reviewed this hotel

Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2007

Welcome - Ok
Bar - Dreary
Food - Hugely Over-Priced And Complete Muck
Bedroom - Below Average For 2* Plus If You Stay On Weekend Bring Your Dancing Shoes - For The Bedroom!! Music Is Crystal Clear From The Nightclub - Until Approx 2.30A.M - When The Shouting Outside The Club Starts!! You Should Get 3-4 Hours Sleep
Vulue For Money - There Was None!!!!

I really don't know where to start. As this was the only hotel in the town and we didn't have time to research, I booked what I thought was very overpriced for the area and time of year. Had I known what lay ahead I would have thought it even worse value!!

We (party of two) arrived approx 8 o'clock Sat evening 11th Feb. Booked in after much confusion as receptionist did not know how to use Credit Card machine. Had one drink in the VERY dreary bar. Booked dinner in the Kingsland restaurant (in hotel). Despite booking and being told at reception it was no problem we still had to wait 10-15 for a table.

Food was foul. One starter OK at best. Two fillet steaks for main course definately not the cow variety. Potato and veg were vile - had been cooked at earliest on previous Thursday. 2 starters, 2 main courses and 2 drinks from bar - €67 euro!!!!!! Was a complete rip-off for good food - not to mention the muck we were served up.

Had been travelling all day so just left it - did not complain - something I regret now. Off to bed round 12 after more drinks in the bar listening to some of the worst music I have ever heard. In bed 5 mins when nightclub music started!! The fact there is a nightclub is not mentioned in ANY of the advertising for the hotel. The bed may as well as been in the middle of the dancefloor and as the hotel was full (of noisy stag party!) there was no other room available - there are only 20 in the hotel anyway so moving would have been pointless.

We tried to complain in reception next morning but the person on desk did not understand what we were trying to say - not their fault but annoying none the less - and we were in a hurry to get away.

When I called on the Sun evening to complain I was told to call back on Monday, which I did. I was told manager would ring me back. I called again on Wed after hearing nothing from hotel. The lady on the phone basicly told me to get lost - I left it too late to complain and never once apologised for the nightmare stay in the hotel.

I have never done anything like this before and stay away with work all the time. I know it is only a 2 star hotel but that is no excuse for the terrible service, food and ignorance when I called the hotel. I have stayed in much better B&B's for a quarter of the price.

Stayed February 2007
dbhKildare, owner at Derby House Hotel, responded to this review, July 26, 2007
Dear Sirs,
It is with regret that I have read the above review and I feel sorry for the person in question, but no contact was made by anyone on the morning of departure. so I was not aware of any problems. To be honest I remember the night in question as I did have some problems, some Guests staying in the Hotel were insulting my staff with racist slurs and been somewhat diffcult so much so that I thought I was going to have to remove them from the premises but I understand thats all part of having Guests staying in my Hotel.
I would have welcomed if this person had made contact with me on the morning of their departure or even on the night as I would have gladly changed their room. at all times we strive to make our Guests feel welcome and comfortable. I only recently bought the Hotel but I have been in business of running a very successful Restaurant for the past 25 years and have never come accross comments as mentioned above. I was welcome comments both good and bad but on this occasion I feel that the person or persons involved should have made contact with me when there stat in the Hotel was so disagreeable.
LIMERICK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2006

The hotel has a fantastic outside but inside its a shambles.. dirty and smelly... a strong smell of fish everywhere and the toliets not working... however the porter/manager 'Eddie' was extrmenely nice and even cute.. he showed us to our room and explained about all the local attractions.

However the room was filthy... cob-webs everywhere and the bed covers had cigarrette holes and stains... we asked for our money back and left...

Eddie was very nice and recommneded a better hotel called the Stand... we thanked him and left..

STAY AWAY AT ALL COST.

Stayed August 2006
Michigan
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2006

After a very long drive, my husband and I were relieved to find a place with vacancy. When we arrived (2:30 am), we noticed that there was a lot of "riff-raff" hanging around the entrance. There was also very loud music coming from inside the lodge. A local was knocking at the door requesting cigarettes. When he thought that I was alone, he suggested another hotel down the street and would have been more than happy to show me where it was located. The desk clerk said that he did have one double room available. While we were a little uncomfortable with what we had noticed thus far, we were very tired and decided to check in. The check-in counter was dirty and sticky and there was a strong fishy odor permeating throughout the hotel. When I inquired about the music, the desk clerk said that the disco should be finished within the next half hour or so.
When we vetured upstairs, we noticed that our surroundings were very unkempt. In our room we found peeling and stained wallpaper, unvacuumed and stained carpet, dust, peeling paint, an dirty bathroom, and cob-webs everywhere.
We decided not to stay. When we came back downstairs, we told the desk clerk that we decided not to stay and requested our paperwork. He did not seem to be surprised about this - just said, "ok"! He did not seem concerned or ask what the problem was. As we were leaving, the music continued, many people were still hanging around outside, and there was a house alarm going off down the street with police arriving. As I looked back at the building as we were pulling out, I noticed that all of the upstairs rooms were dark with curtains open, as though no one was staying there. We couldn't leave quickly enough!
Frankly, I was extremely surprised about this - throughout all of our many travels around Ireland, we have never come across accomodations of this nature. I felt very unsafe and uncomfortable here.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — It was unsafe and filthy!
  • Tips/Secrets — Avoid this accomodation!
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Boston
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2006

I stayed here for one night and checked out without even staying for the included breakfast. The hotel could be beautiful with some sprucing up but unfortunately, it is sadly neglected. The main hallways have peeling wallpaper, stains all over the carpeting and I had cracked tiles on the bathroom floor in my room. The electric tea kettle was so moldy and rusty I couldn't use it. The only redeeming quality was the staff, who were friendly and efficient.

Been to Derby House Hotel? Share your experiences!