“Budget break away” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Milford Inn Hotel

You added Milford Inn Hotel to your Saves list
Milford Inn Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Letterkenny Road, Co. Donegal, Milford, Ireland (Formerly Best Western)   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Milford
“Budget break away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

My boyfriend and I wanted a value break away for the bank holiday and sure did we get it in milford. I purchased the voucher on pigs back which entitled us to two nights b n b and a 2course evening dinner each. The food was delicious and the staff were so friendly and welcoming. The hotel itself is about 20-25 minutes outside letterkenny and is situated in the picturesque countryside. The receptionist kindly told us of Finand Head which is about 40mins from the hotel and is absolutely gorgeous set in the rural isolated landscape at the top of donegal and a has lighthouse for many picture opportunities. The rooms were so clean and spacious and the shower was very powerful. I would Really recommend this small, cosy, warm, clean, friendly hotel.

• Stayed June 2014
Johnckee, General Manager at Milford Inn Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2014
Thank you for such a fantastic review. Your compliments are welcomed by the whole team here. We work hard at providing a top class guest experience and its always nice to receive such positive feedback.

I hope you and your boy friend will return in the future.

John Kee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Antrim, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

I booked this using a Pigsback deal - 109 Euro or £90 for 2 nights B&B plus a two course evening meal for two. To say that it was excellent value for money would be an understatement. From the reception staff, to housekeeping, to bar staff, to waiting staff, the staff are a credit to this hotel!!! Nothing was too much trouble and they all work exceptionally hard!! 10/10 to the staff!!

The food is beautiful. Would highly recommend the steak baguette, delicious! Peppered sauce is incredible!! Breakfast is lovely too! All of it amazing for the money.

We had an amazing time, we were away just the two of us to relax and rest, and I honestly cannot wait to go back! 15 minutes away from beaches, 15 mins away from shopping - I would call that a perfect location!!

Ok, yes the rooms are not anything exceptional, but they aren't run down either, they have everything that you need. Wifi in the rooms would be an advantage too, but when you are in this location, I think lack of wifi in the rooms can be forgiven!

The General Manager did make himself known to us, and what a nice man he was. Mandy on reception supervisor is one of the nicest ladies I have ever met.

I would recommend this to everyone and anyone. We are going away later on in the month and if I could I would have went back to the Milford Inn Hotel rather than anywhere else.

The hotel also had entertainment on both nights, a young guy David McNamee - he was brilliant and very entertaining, and a guy called 'Ronan the Piano Man' who was perfect.

I believe in giving credit where credit is due, hence this post!

Well done Milford Inn!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gearóid P, General Manager at Milford Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2014
Hello PetersWife2B,

I have to agree that our Steak Baguette makes a great meal. Our Executive Chef, Chris and his Kitchen Brigade put a great deal of effort into getting our food offering right and I thank you wholeheartedly for recognizing this.

I was delighted to hear that you enjoyed our entertainment over the two nights of your stay. David McNamee is a young Country Artiste who is starting off on his career and with a performance like the one he put on at the Milford Inn Hotel - he will be sure to go far. Ronan the Pianoman is our Resident Pianist and is always well received by guests and locals alike.

Thank you for your kind comments in relation to the Staff, Mandy and Myself - I will be sure to pass them on and I must express personally, that it was a pleasure to have met you both.

In summing up, not many hotels can say what you said in words and we are really appreciative. Both the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Milford Inn Hotel in the near future!!

Best Wishes,

Antrim
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

The staff and manager at this hotel couldn't do enough for you .
Service was superb, treat ticket VFM @ £89 fantastic.
Good clean hotel
Grub mmmmmm very moreish , steaks to die for and quite a varied menu. Minor things fixed immediately - nothing was a bother. Inc the cheeseboard not on the menu but provided on request.
Breakfast first class , fresh wholesome and tasty (available until 11)
Yes the hotel is being or has been refurbed but the first floor rooms are fine.
Ok the hotel is a weeeee bit out of the town but the grub is good , the drink free flowing and cost fine. they have music on a sat nite and the staff are friendly and very helpful .
The room was large and clean flat screen TV no issues .
Would I return -absolutely -wud I recommend it -definitely
Common folks stop the whingeing
This is an absolute bargain and service with a smile

Room Tip: Try it for yourself You won't regret it
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gearóid P, General Manager at Milford Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 21, 2014
Hello bigmacAntrim,

What a fantastic review!! Everyone here at the hotel was delighted to read your incredibly positive feedback.

I have to agree with you, that our TreatTicket offers are most certainly excellent value for money.

Your very kind comments regarding our food at both Breakfast and Dinner are most welcome; and I will be sure to pass them onto Chris our Executive Chef and the rest of the Kitchen Brigade.

As you have noted, the hotel is currently undergoing a soft refurbishment of our Public Areas and Bedroom Block which we hope to have completed by the end of this week. We believe the changes that are being made will further enhance the excellent quality of our product and consequently achieve a high level of guest satisfaction.

Once more, thank you for such a great review and both the team and I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not so distant future.

Warmest Regards,

Derry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014

Visited The Milford Inn on 17 May at approx 7.00pm, for bar food. My uncooked cheesy garlic bread arrived looking somewhat anemic. Closer inspection revealed that it had not seen an oven or indeed a grill. White crusty bread (fair enough) covered with huge lumps of uncooked fat and orange cheese. In hindsight the Milford Inn did me a great favour letting me see the uncooked food and I am so relieved that I did not consume it. This was followed by lukewarm cod and chips. The chips looked like they were recycled more than twice and tasted likewise.
My family said their mains were just ok but my son's cheesecake was of a mushy consistency and was well short of a proper cheesecake ie:set.
The best parts of the evening were the young attentive staff and the the 1/2 bottle of wine we consumed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Gearóid P, General Manager at Milford Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Hello 1Marsha,

Thank you for your review. I'm so terribly disappointed to read about your recent dining experience. Please be assured that this is far from our usual standard.

Thank you for your kind remarks with regard to our staff and wine selection.

I would be grateful if you would contact me directly on gearoid.pyne@milfordinnhotel.com so that I may have the opportunity to discuss your experience further.

Kind Regards,

Ballymoney, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

Decided to book direct with Milford Inn as at the time it appeared to be giving a better deal than those advertised through discounted sites. Wrong!

On arrival the hotel had no record of our booking or of the deposit that we had paid. I had to go behind the reception desk to access my home email account and print off acknowledgments that had been sent! Not a very promising start.

The manager Gearoid, stated he would give us an upgrade room because of this - fair enough we thought. Alas not so. The lift was out of order and we were placed on the second floor at the very end of a long corridor. The room itself was nice enough but from what I could see not significantly better than any other rooms. Additionally the wall mounted tv was not working and a replacement had been brought in and placed on the occasional table thereby rendering it not usable.

Our package included a 'gourmet 3 course evening meal' but the voucher we were given was for a 2 course meal and this was only available off the set early menu. The positives were that the food was good but we had eaten off this menu in the hotel the previous evening and would not have done so had we known that our included meal was going to be restricted. The other positive is that the breakfasts were freshly cooked but the quality did vary over the two days with the offering on the second day being of a lower quality.

Despite the problems with booking in the manager (Gearoid) never one acknowledged us throughout our stay despite him shambling about the place regularly. Generally the level of service and attention to detail left a lot to be desired - a further example being the provision of cutlery with which to dine! Full marks however must go to Kelly who served us food and drink throughout our stay. She was helpful and attentive and to be honest was the only truly professional member of staff we encountered.

Departure again proved to be extremely challenging with the check out process malfunctioning and again the manager had to be called. Again he did not acknowledge us and continued to sort out some other issue before turning his attention briefly to our problem. Once he had sorted the system glitch for the receptionist he left. Surely his job was to ensure that his guest's issues were fully resolved before going off to attend to some other matter not involving a guest? ! I did comment on this to the receptionist.

Doubt that we will return to Milford Inn or recommend it to friends.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gearóid P, General Manager at Milford Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear 1959clare,

I believe there are two sides to every story and it is important that I post a rebuttal so that other Tripadvisor Members may have a fair and unbiased account of your stay.

You arrived to check-in with no confirmation email for the dates of your stay. This was because you booked the wrong dates for your stay. Consequently, the Receptionist on duty could not find your reservation as the date of your physical arrival differed from the date of your reserved arrival. The receptionist asked you to use your phone to email us the reservation conformation which you did not have. You declined and asked if you could come behind the desk to enter your email password, to which she obliged. When the discrepancies were noted, I was called to assist in the matter. Sensing your obvious embarrassment at the situation, I offered to upgrade you to an Executive Room.

When you arrived, the hotel was in its first week of trading and the elevator was out of operation; as were waiting for a service engineer to attend onsite and re-activate it. We had signs put up to this effect and these signs also clearly state that luggage assistance is available to any guest who wishes to avail of it.

The Executive Room you were upgraded to consists of a 4 Poster Bed and is the only room in the hotel with one, so I cannot see how it is in anyway similar to the other rooms. It is in fact one of the most popular rooms in the hotel and many guests have requested it.

The Television you speak of in an unflattering manner is a 32” Flatscreen HD with 50 channels. The old wall bracket mounted CRT Televisions were in the process of being removed at the time of your stay. These were being removed on a room by room basis and this is a time-consuming task as it involves both electrical and physical maintenance. Many guests have commented on the high quality of our new televisions and the excellent picture and variety of channels to cater for all tastes.

With regards to our menu offering, you comments are inaccurate; we have never offered a 3 Course Menu as part of our packages. We only offer a 2 Course Menu and this is clearly stated on our website. While you may feel that the menu you received was “restrictive”, we feel that it is excellent for the value it represents with a choice of 15 dishes. And in addition we offer all our guests to upgrade to our a la carte menu if they so wish.

Upon checkout, the printer jammed when your bill was printing. The Receptionist called me to remove the paper that was jammed as she was unsure how to do it. When she called me, I was in a meeting and I left that meeting to come and prioritize your situation. Once I had rectified the situation, I returned to my meeting.

To refer to me personally as “Shambling” around the Hotel is incredibly unfair. I greeted and acknowledged you several times during your stay and never once did you express any issues or problems with your experience. In all my years as a manager, I have never left a guest in a situation of inconvenience; you were extended every courtesy possible and I am incredibly disappointed to read your review which in my opinion is inaccurate, unfair and of a derogatory nature.

Yours Sincerely,

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

stayed 2 nights on a Living Social deal--Great value
Hotel was placed in the centre of Fanad peninsula 20 mins east or west from hotel had us at lovely beaches. hotel was first class + food in the bar second to non,will return .

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gearóid P, General Manager at Milford Inn Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Hello Geezer80,

Thank you for your submitting such a lovely review. You are correct in stating that our location is perfect for anyone looking for a break away near the breathtaking scenery of the Fanad Peninsula. Thank you for your kind remarks regarding the hotel and food. Such feedback is really reassuring to receive, as it lets us see that we are doing a good job in keeping our guests happy. Keep watching the Deal Sites for our regular offers and we hope to see you again soon at the Milford Inn Hotel.

Kindest Regards,

Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

We have just returned from a wonderful relaxing weekend at the Milford Inn Hotel. We went on a Treaticket offer which was £89 for 2 people for 2 nights b&b ane 1 two course dinner! What an offer , the rooms were really lovely and comfortable and the hotel has been recently refurbished to a very high standard. The breakfasts and dinner were very impressive and the staff were courteous and friendly.The hotel is placed near to all the lovely beaches in Donegal and we will be returning soon with friends as I have just booked 3 more offers. Overall we had a really enjoyable stay.

Hello GloriaM758,

Thank you for taking the time to share your stay experience on Tripadvisor. It is so encouraging to read your wonderful feedback. We have put a substantial amount of time and effort in upgrading the hotel to a high contemporary standard and I'm so pleased that you noticed it. Our TreatTicket offers do indeed represent great value and I'm delighted to see that you have purchased more. Repeat trade is the cornerstone of any business and I sincerely thank you for putting your faith in us to host you again in the not so distant future. Both the Team and I look forward to welcoming you back over and over again to the Milford Inn Hotel.

Warm Regards,

Gearóid Pyne

Been to Milford Inn Hotel? Share your experiences!