“Food on the beach...” 4 of 5 stars

Dining options: Reservations, Late Night
London
“Food on the beach...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Goiod basic fare on the edge of the beach. Usual menu, cooked well and wine beer etc all available at a good price. Service OK and food of a good standard. Good to have lunch there when sunbathing!

• Visited May 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

64% Recommend
“Poor food, awful service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

We've visited this cafe as they offered lots of sea food. The crab salad had crab sticks in it for 8 euro, instead of seafood mix we got fish mix which costs 10 eur more and the waiter said that's our fault that we didn't make it clear what we want to order. Then in the bill we saw seafood mix, not fish mix, but with the higher price. And finally we heard the waiter saying "it's not my fault" for the same reason at the nearby table. They also forgot to bring another dish, but it was in the bill. Keep out of this place.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Old Windsor
“Best restaurant in Matala”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I have visited Matala a number of times and we always find ourselves drawn to the Lions Cafe. We have tried many of the restaurants in the village but have not found any that can match this one. The food is always very good and even with the extensive menu with numerous specials offered every night the chef Makis will cook you something special if you ask. the view is great and the prices very reasonable. take some time to get to know the staff they are top notch.

• Visited July 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Florida
“Decent food, dubious wine”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife & I had lunch here in late October after visiting Phaestos. It's right on the beach.

The food was OK, my Gyros plate was adequate. Wine was a bit funky though: we asked for a half-liter of red and got something that looked more like a rose. Dare I speculate that they were running low in the bottle and topped up with some equally-low house white? One of the few times we got less-than-good house wine in Crete.

The place was almost empty: the weather had turned and the whole town was obviously getting ready to shut down. Maybe things are better in season.

• Visited October 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London
“Not worth the view”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

We sought this cafe out due to a recommendation in a travel guide. The view of the beach and caves was great but sadly the food and service were appalling. It was lunchtime so my husband and I both ordered a salad. I had the special crab salad which consisted of crab sticks in mayonnaise, fizzy coleslaw (clearly out of date), shop bought potato salad and some tomato and cucumber. This poor offering cost 8 euros. My husband had a tuna salad that was much the same. The service was indifferent and it felt like they couldn't care whether we enjoyed our visit or not. Having read some of the other reviews I don't know whether we were unlucky with the staff and the food but based on my experience I would not recommend it.

• Visited October 2012