“The ONLY Hotel in Bestensee” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Am Sutschke-Tal

and 1 more site!
You added Hotel Am Sutschke-Tal to your Saves list
Hotel Am Sutschke-Tal
Franz Kuenstler Strasse 1 | Bestensee, 15741 Bestensee, Brandenburg, Germany   |
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bestensee
St. Petersburg, Florida
“The ONLY Hotel in Bestensee”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

Three of my uncles own cottages along the Hintersee (in Bestensee) so when we leave Berlin for the weekend, we go to Bestensee.

I have stayed at this hotel over the years while in Bestensee because it is the ONLY Hotel located in this small town. It is also important to note that they speak very little English here so if you do stay here, make sure to know some German as well in order to communicate.

The hotel itself is very charming and the rooms are reminiscent of an old school east german hotel. The rooms are actually larger than you will find at most (east) german hotels and there is no air conditioning as well. Thankfully, it was very cool weather so leaving the windows open at night is no problem. As you'll find at most German hotels, they push two double beds together to form a King size bed. The shower is also stereotypical of a, eastern German hotel which means it is a very snug & tight space but if you stay in any hotel in the eastern part of Germany, you will find that this is very common.

You can add breakfast each morning at the very inexpensive price of 5 euro per person and it is a very good spread. They provide the 6 minute egg (soft boiled), excellent deli meats, fantastic bread, fruit, dairy, etc...

The front desk staff are friendly and the ladies providing the breakfast service were very friendly and accommodating as well.

They also have a Biergarten attached to the hotel which was not open all weekend long, even though the World Cup was going on (when we stayed at this hotel) and Germany even played a game that particular Saturday evening. It sounds like that they only operate the Biergarten/Sommergarten a few times a year.

Now for the downside... In the past, we have stayed here while the Biergarten was in full effect and the "oomm pah pah" band played loudly until 3am in the morning. As I mentioned in order to have a temperature friendly/cool room (due to no air-conditioning systems in the room), you have to leave the windows open. So combine the festivities with the open windows and it equals very little sleep if you are not partying until 3-4am in the morning with everyone downstairs. Even if you close the windows, it is still very loud.

This past stay, while the Biergarten was closed, we were surprised to find out that the Hotel restaurant was booked for a party, D.J. and all.

The hotel did not inform us of this when we booked the rooms nor at check-in. Our room was 5 feet from the restaurant and they partied until at least 3am in the morning and unfortunately the D.J's sound system was practically in our room. Every song that utilized the 808 drum (Boom Boom Boom in rap & techno) caused our bed to boom along with it.

As I mentioned before, this is the only Hotel in Bestensee so if we were to complain, they would have thrown us out (the major money generator was the party as well as party goers who also booked rooms). Naturally we had very little sleep that night.

To top things off, the next morning when we were checking out, the owner of the hotel screamed at me like a mad man for no good reason. It was 10:40am and he was pointing at his watch basically telling me that we were late to check out. The funny thing is that every document and sign in the Hotel indicates that checkout is at 11am so we couldn't understand what the problem was. Once we paid our bill he became a lot friendlier so we assumed that because we loaded up the car BEFORE paying, he thought we were trying to leave without paying. But in my history of travel, I ALWAYS load up the luggage before paying. Who knows.

Overall there is nothing like an angry owner chewing you out immediately after his establishment infringed on your right to get a good night's sleep because he was making a lot of money off of a party that he did not disclose to us in advance, that would be going on all night long right next to our room. This is a chronic problem.

Overall the Hotel itself is very pretty, the breakfast is good, the bed is comfortable, the grounds are pretty, the rooms are very clean and the front desk is friendly. But because of the undisclosed parties which seem to go on every time I stay at this Hotel, if I could, I would stay at another hotel when I am in the area... But unfortunately that is not an option.

P.S. If they wouldn't schedule loud parties & such when I stay there, I would say that this Hotel is romantic, quaint AND the sleep quality good (it is on nights when there are no parties). But because of how loud it can be on those unfortunate nights, I have to give negative ratings for those categories.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple

1 review from our community

Been to Hotel Am Sutschke-Tal? Share your experiences!