We spent 3 nights at Chateau La Barre in June 2012 and loved it! At first sight, the chateau feels more like a huge villa than a typical chateau, but once you get in, you can transport yourself to 1800s and even before.
Comte Guy and Comtess Marnie personally receive, host and even serve you! Guy's family has owned the chateau for centuries, so everything there is authentic and original: from furniture and cutlery to china.
They are also great guides, with off-the-beaten path recommendations on what to do in the Loire Valley. I strongly recommend to follow their suggestions.
We had dinner at the chateau once, with Guy and Marnie and other guests sharing a big dinning room table. Very good food, with good wine and interesting stories about everything.
The chateau grounds are good for a short stroll and having tea, but you need to plan for activities outside if you are planning to spend more than a day there.
Price isn't cheap, although it feels reasonable considering the uniqueness of the experience and the personalized service that you get.
We strongly recommend going there!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the same family since more than 610 years,Chateau de la Barre is more than a luxury accommodation, it is an experience of the gracious hospitality of French aristocracy. All the rooms are replete with precious XVIIIth century antiques and designer fabrics. Twice a week, a prestigeous dinner is hosted in the XVIIth century dining room, on other nights, it is possible to have a romantic supper in the dining room. Rent a car at CDG airport or take the fast speed TGV train directly to Le Mans or Vendome and rent a car there. Alternatively enquire about having our chauffeur pick you up and be your guide. It is also possible to rent a convertible classic car for your stay. Your hosts, Guy and Marnie de Vanssay, will be pleased to arrange customized stays for you, including visits of top wineries of the Loire (Cabernet Franc reds and Chenin whites, such as Chinon, Bourgueil, Vouvray and Jasnieres), sightseeing from the famous Loire Valley castles to fortified manor houses, medieval towns and picturesque villages, and farmer's markets. For the activity seeking, kayaking, cycling, hiking, hot air ballooning or why not drive a race car around the mythical Le Mans track? ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Chateau de la Barre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chateau De La Barre Hotel Conflans-Sur-Anille
- Chateau De La Barre France/Conflans-Sur-Anille