“One of the best cafes/restaurants in Corsica” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Ice Cream, Brasserie, Café, Wine Bar
Good for: Outdoor seating
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“One of the best cafes/restaurants in Corsica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

We nearly walked on by when Jack-Pierre (joint owner with his partner, Amanda) first started telling us about the food.

My wife and I were knackered from a long drive to Zonza after powering up Monte Cinto that day. We wanted food . . . lots of it. Jack-Pierre was so animated and passionate but insisted that their little cafe/restaurant wasn't a pizzeria.

However, something about the whole place, and Jack-Pierre, persuaded us to stay. And my god, we were NOT disappointed. We had their 3 course soup/meat platter-cheese and fig jam/walnut cake . . . the soup pretty much did it for us! A huge bowl of mixed veg and meats, Corsican style, like a broth. It was all we could do not to eat the bowl too. Then the platter - huge! And so much choice! And with bowls and bowls of fresh bread we knew we were going to be rolling back to the campsite. Last up, the walnut cake. Now, we're desperate for this recipe. Give it to us!!!!!

We ended up coming back to their place over three times in our short stay. We were meant to be cooking ourselves and being as self sufficient as possible. But the temptation of such fantastic food, lovely wine and a brilliant atmosphere was too much.

Amanda is from Birmingham originally (albeit she has lost the accent - well done!). Amanda speaks brilliant french though she modestly says not. Jack-Pierre speaks brilliant english and is local to Zonza. He is also passionate about playing his guitar and singing . . . . .

. . . I don't normally like guitars. I would be John Belushi in Animal House, smashing the party goer's guitar to bits in a frenzy of hatred. But, one night, my wife sat having our food there and Jack-Pierre started "jamming" with another local dude (owner of our campsite, ironically enough) and together they were lost in their own little world singing corsican song after corsican song - with perfect harmonies - totally impervious and uncaring of whomever was listening about them. My wife and I sat there for three hours in the end, totally mesmerized.

Amanda came by a few times and rolled her eyes, "he just loves playing".

Where am I going with this review? Well, it certainly is, in our minds, one of the best little cafes/restaurants we visited on all of Corsica. Sits right on the edge of the village . . . it's well worth a visit. Both Amanda and Jack-Pierre are excellent hosts and will look out for you throughout your meal.

You will NOT be disappointed.

Thanks guys - see you again.

Luke and Katie - the weary climbers

• Visited July 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

97% Recommend
Inverness
“Authentic Corsican Food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2013

The sign on the side of the road in Zonza got my attention initially.
We found somewhere to park in this busy little village and walked back to check out the menu.
Great style and atmosphere.
Very friendly staff; one of whom happened to be English. A great help when your French is from school, 40 years ago.
I can highly recommend the Planche Mixte; a selection of charcuterie and cheese served on a wooden board.
Good house wine and Pietra Beer on draft.
Excellent Artisanale Ice Creams.
€30.00 for lunch for 2. (We shared the Planche; pretty difficult to eat one on your own)

• Visited June 2013