“nice surf location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harbor Reef Surf Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nosara
Harbor Reef Surf Resort
Del Hotel Cafe De Paris 400 Suroeste y 150 al Este, Nosara, Costa Rica (Formerly Harbor Reef Lodge)   |
Offers & Announcements
Green Season Rates Now!
Ranked #5 of 18 hotels in Nosara
OC
“nice surf location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2008

Stayed in a house for a few days. Air conditioner only worked in living room and one bedroom. It was pretty hot.
They were really worried about theft in the area so we were really careful.
Went North for a few days and returned to Harbor Reef later.
Stayed in a room the next time around. Air conditioning was better. Felt more secure.
Staff was very friendly. Girls took us surfing in Osteonal. Massages were cheap. Food was fantastic, thanks Gorge in the Kitchen!
My buddy was married at Harbor reef.

• Liked — good surfing
  • Stayed May 2005, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Harbor-Reef-Lodge, Manager at Harbor Reef Surf Resort, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thanks for your great review and we are happy to hear your experience was a good one. We are currently under new management and new ownership and we are committed to improving the amenities for our guests! Come back and see us again soon! Playa Guiones is more beautiful and relaxing than ever these days. Pura Vida!

142 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

Hello fellow travelles I just want to express what a wonderful trip i had in Costa Rica and in special our stay in Harbor Reef they help us from the time we got out from the airport until we depart arranging transfers,hotels and activities I got it say never felt that spoil every place they recommend was great in Arenal area and Monteverde and they helps us booking the activities what a amazing experiences I have from Costa Rica and the Stay at the Harbor Reef hotel the best part of the trip the staff always nice and very helpful rooms were fine a few bugs around but all rooms had screens so they stay out anyway it's the jungle right ? restaurant was nice and delicious food they had Special nights on Monday with live music so that was nice too and don't forget find Victor he helped us out arranging everyhting and we couldn't thanking enough for such a nice trip and what he did for us we will definetly would book our next rrip with him I think they just have open a new travel agency named Reef Travel incase anyone wants to talk to him I can't wait for my next trip to Costa Rica...Higly recommend ! I

• Liked — the confort
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We are currently under new management and new ownership and we are committed to making upgrades that our guests will love! Come visit us again in the future and enjoy our hospitality! We look forward to serving you again soon!
Pura Vida!
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2008

I just thougth I would write in a little something for those guys there at Harbor Reef. I stayed recently at this Hotel in Nosara and it was the one! The staff was killer and the people were great that I met. I had some of the best surf of my trip and will deffinatly go back!
Victor at the Reservations Department for them was outstanding. He arranged everything for my trip so I had to swing in and thank him. I would recomend you trying those guys out for your next trip to Costa Rica. He really knows where to send you to keep you well taken care of.
The resteraunte was fantastic and the service was great. Not to mention the beer was cold. Louis at the bar was funny as heck. He keeps a set of dice at the bar and has a game called 10,000.
The town was nice and the weather worked well for the beginning of the Rain and all. The Surf Break out front is outstanding. The crouds were nothing compared to what I am used to back home. I deffinatly got my fill!
All in all I am glad I stayed there. The rooms were nice and I felt very safe with their gard at the entry and all. I highly recomend you looking into this place for your next trip!

• Liked — The rooms were clean and everything was set into the Jungle. I could not see the buildings.
  • Disliked — That I could not stay longer. They were booked.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Jon C, Manager at Harbor Reef Surf Resort, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Thanks for your great review! We are really happy you enjoyed your stay here at Harbor Reef. As of November 1st, 2012 we are under new management and we are committed to raising the bar when it comes to Hospitality. We hope you will come visit us again soon at the all new Harbor Reef Surf Resort. Pura Vida!
Meridian, Idaho
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2008

My husband and I booked Harbor Reef for the last 3 nights of our 10 day trip to Costa Rica. The grounds and restaurant at Harbor Reef were very nice. BUT the room was horrible.

First of all the 'windows' aren't windows. They are just screens with wood blinds. So you can hear everyone walking, breathing and talking outside your room.

Then the bed wasn't even a real mattress. It was a foam camping mattress, like one you would find in a camper trailer. There were lots of cracks in the room where all the bugs came out at night. I didn't even use the shower because there were red flying ants coming out of the cracks. Then there were black ants coming through the 'windows' right down to the bed. So beign too exhausted to find a new place at 10:00 pm we just moved the bed to the middle of the room and tried to sleep. The bed was horrible.

(I know, I know, we are in Costa Rica for goodness sake and we will have bugs. BUT we were in the cloud forrest in Monteverde and Arenal areas and didn't have any problems with bugs. Once we left Harbor Reef and to our cabina we didn't see one bug in the cabina. )

The next morning we left to go find somewhere else. We found an AWESOME cabina that we rented from our surf instructor, Juan Surfo. It was brand new, clean, and no bugs. AND cheaper than Harbor Reef.

We went back to Harbor Reef and told them that we were checking out 2 days early. They were great about it. Didn't have any problems. (Must be used to it.) They said they would credit our card back for the 2 days we had already paid for. We will see if we get it back. They didn't ask us why we were leaving.

Just know that there are SO many cabinas for rent all over. We were so happy we moved. We had our own kitchen, outdoor shower, 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms for half the price of our room at Harbor Reef. It was great.

Also if you need surf lessons Juan Surfo is the man! Local guy that is a total crack up!

• Liked — The grounds were beautiful but the pools were gross. Good restaurant.
  • Disliked — Bed, no windows, BUGS!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
We are very sorry you had this experience when you stayed with us back in 2008. We are currently under new ownership and new management and we have committed to making our guests stay more enjoyable. Currently we have ordered new mattresses for all of our 22 rooms and suites. Further we have installed safes in all of our suites and will be installing them in all of our remaining jr. rooms. We also have plans to upgrade our current window system which will in turn keep the rooms much cooler. We would love if you would considering giving us another chance on your next return to Nosara. We would like to offer you 15% off your next stay. We look forward to having the opportunity of your business once again in the future. Pura Vida!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Harbor Reef Hotel after it was recomended by some of our friends. My wife who had never been to Costa Rica was a little unsure of vacationing in the jungles of Nosara. Staying at the Harbor Reef made the trip special. The surroundings at the hotel truly made us feel connected with the jungle. The food was exceptional and the staff was absolutly wonderful. By the time my wife and I left to go home we both felt a connection to the people of the Harbor reef hotel. We've told our friends about our wonderful experience and plan to return with them next year.

• Liked — The staff at the hotel
  • Disliked — It was a great experience
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We are so happy you enjoyed your stay at Harbor Reef. We are currently under new management and ownership and we are dedicated to making the all new Harbor Reef Surf Resort the best possible experience for our guests. We would love to see you back here in Nosara soon! Pura Vida!
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2008

Pura Vida! This place is awesome. My hubby and i stayed with another couple primarly for a surfing trip. I’d like to make a quick comment about the previous review and I’ll start by saying that I am a bit of a hotel snob and really prefer places like the Ritz. You have to realize that Costa Rica is considered a very poor country and you will NOT find the Ritz.

That being said, the Harbor Reef is one of the very best in Nosara. It is clean, well kept, nicely landscaped, and the people are very kind. The front desk has a safe that you can lock anything in however I left money, ipod, clothes, etc lying around and had no problem with the housekeeping. Also remember that Ticos (Costa Ricans) are never in a hurry. It definitely takes longer to do anything from getting your check in a restaurant to getting your rooms made up in the morning. You have to just sit back, relax, and remember that you aren’t in a hurry either!

We stayed in the Surf City Suite which is 2 bed, 2 bath, kitchen and loft. The pics on the website don’t do this suite justice! They have a beautiful veranda which is where we spent a ton of time. Most of the other rooms at the hotel were one story and did seem pretty small. Also, they did not have a veranda. Ask for Victor when booking, he is great.

The restaurant is great! We ate there almost every meal. Everybody speaks English however if you make an effort to speak Spanish they love it. They accept credit cards and US dollars. Ask the bartender for a Tropicoco (there are only a few who will make it).

Tips:
Get a “Tica Massage”
Do yoga at the Harmony Hotel (5 mins walk, $12)
Go to Casa Toucan for dinner when “trainwreck” is playing
Do the Miss Sky Zip Line tour (65 including a ride)
Watch the sunset from Lagarta Lodge (get there early)
Do the sunset horseback ride with Boca Nosara

• Liked — Food/Property/Location in Nosara
  • Disliked — Leaving!!!
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you for your positive review of the Harbor Reef! We are currently under new management and new ownership and we are committed to making the all new Harbor Reef Surf Resort the best possible experience for our guests. We hope you will come visit us again soon!
Pura Vida!
surfside
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2008

i have traveled down to costa rica several times now throughout the years and love going their. nosara though is some where i always come back to and stay at harbour reef lodge. this hotel is definetly amazing. the staff was very helpful for us and we booked several different tours through them which worked out. i love staying their because everything is so spread out and the hotel is always very clean and neat. if you are planning on traveling to costa rica stop by and stay at harbour reef and you will not want to leave. amazing food, people, and hotel with even a in pool bar.

• Liked — food
  • Disliked — having to leave
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
We are so happy your enjoyed your stay at Harbor Reef. We are currently under new management and we are committed to continually improving our hotel! Come visit the all new Harbor Reef Surf Resort and enjoy our hospitality. Pura Vida!

Been to Harbor Reef Surf Resort? Share your experiences!