The Guilded Iguana is a fantastic place for travellers who are looking for a relaxing home base to surf or explore the area! If you are looking for an all-inclusive, want to party hard or laze on the beach with a drink under an umbrella this is probably NOT the place for you.
We LOVED the Iguana - it was in a fantastic location with short walks to the beach (2 minutes), the small town (10 minutes) as well as other local restaurants (check out Olga's!)
- Live music Tuesday and Friday
- The bar closes around 10pm - which is great when you want to get up early to surf, or you are woken up early by the howling monkeys!
- Great wildlife - a walk around the "block" and we saw monkeys, a huge iguana, colorful crabs and a coati
- Free Wi-fi
- Rooms are quite large and have a fridge
- You can drink the water (this was key for us as it was SO hot!)
- Food is quite good and varied, lots of vegetarian/healthier options too
- Dee (the main server for breakfast/lunch) is awesome!
- Management is very accessible
If you aren't great with the heat, make sure to book a room with A/C - ours didn't have it and while sleeping at night was fine, napping during the day was almost unbearable.
Also, the beach is beautiful and not crowded at all, make sure you go to watch the sunset at least once. If you want to sit in the shade with a book, I would recommend bringing a chair and an umbrella. A great place for surfers but the water is a little rough if you aren't a strong swimmer. The pool is not great for laps but perfect for cooling off and for kids to play - there is even a little waterfall!
Finally, make sure you do the Sky Canopy zip lining. It is unbelievable and the guides make the experience very enjoyable.
Thanks to everyone at the Iguana who made this such an excellent first visit to Costa Rica!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A landmark at the beaches of Nosara, Costa Rica, The Gilded Iguana Hotel brings casual relaxation, comfort and excellent service to the Pacific Coast of Costa Rica. One of the most famous and well loved vacation destination hotels in Nosara for surfers, expats, families and adventure holidayers. **NEWS** - Gilded Iguana has been sold to new owners - but is sure to be better than ever for open Nov 2014. All reservations still valid! ... more less