“Lived up to the reviews” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Nosara
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lived up to the reviews”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

This was a really nice place to stay in Nosara. They allowed my friend to bring her well behaved dog too which was very kind. The rooms are spacious, with very nice bathrooms and hot showers - unheard of in Costa Rica! The beds are comfortable and the eating / fridge area outside the rooms would be great if you were here with a small group or family. The hosts are as everyone has said very helpful and welcoming, although if you prefer privacy when eating breakfast you may need to make it known! The pool here is immaculate and great for laps. I only have two minor issues; one is that it is a bit misleading to say this is 'on the beach' - it isn't, it's about a 10 min walk. Which is fine, but not what 'on the beach' implies. The second is that the breakfast was a bit disappointing, and expensive for what you get. They had no pinto! I would recommend eating elsewhere for breakfast. Other than that it was a great stay and we really enjoyed it. NB travellers should know that to get to Nosara, you have to drive for approx 45 minutes on dirt roads, which for the last 30 minutes are really bad. 4x4 is advisable and be prepared for huge potholes, ridges, mud and road subsidence. Not recommended for nervous drivers!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We had a lovely visit to Giardino Tropicale. The location is wonderful - like living in the midst of the rainforest. We had howler monkeys in the tree outside our room every morning. The owners are wonderful. There is a great pool immaculately maintained. Breakfast is available and there's a great Italian restaurant on site as well.

We had a wonderful second floor treehouse room - spacious and well kitted out including a little kitchen. There was a table and chairs, a hammock and other chairs available for the balcony that is well protected from the sun and rain.

It's a two minute walk to the beach or to the small commercial street nearby with more restaurants and rentals for ATVs, paddle boards, surf lessons, etc.

Would definitely recommend to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room. One thing to note is that with the main road right alongside the hotel and it...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
San Jose Metro, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

For the last 15 years I have been visiting the wonderful Paradise of the Giardino Family and each time I stay I fall in love again and again - not only with the beauty, cleanliness, AMAZING FOOD and organic prestine gardens and rooms but with the warm love and kindness from the owners - Giardino Tropicale is a true tropical oasis in the heart of My favorite place in the world, Nosara. THANK YOU so much for all your love and for making our stay last weekend such a memorable experience! ;)

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Berkeley, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

3 stays, each time a week, confirmed how comfortable and beautiful it is here.
The pool is the best I know of in Nosara, as well as the excellent coffee anytime at no extra cost. The owners are warm and engaging, and very responsible in running a hotel with sustainable principles. The prices are very reasonable for the area, and the restaurant has an Italian chef making fresh pasta in house, with great wood fired pizza.
It is disheartening to see negative reviews that seem to be issues of communication and expectations, when reviews are overwhelmingly positive. We will continue visiting Nosara, and will stay here when we do.

Room Tip: We have stayed in A, and will always ask for it. B is adjacent, and perhaps a little quieter in the...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I stay at Giardino almost every time we go to Playa Guiones in the Nosara area. Marcel and Myriam are the consummate hosts. Myriam is great at finding entertainment in the area for you.

Every morning, a simple but filling breakfast is served to order near the pool. Great time to reflect about the rest of the day. Marcel and/or Myriam are often sitting at an adjoining table, and are happy to talk about your vacation plans or anything else that comes up! Between them, they speak Spanish, English and German, providing ease of communication for a variety of guests.

The lush grounds are ideal for languidly viewing as you lie in a hammock, nodding off. :-)

Having stayed in each type of room, I recommend one of the Deluxe rooms or the apartment. The Standard rooms are smaller and not as light as the others, so after our first visit we upgraded.
Some of the Deluxe rooms we've stayed in have delightful paintings directly painted on the wall, and they all have a kitchen-like section of the room where you can make coffee, store items in a refrigerator and have a sink for a quick clean-up.
The apartment is a good option for when you want to stretch out and have a small but serviceable kitchen (and table and chairs!) at your fingertips. We have relatives in town so we appreciate the room when everyone comes over for an afternoon or evening.
The only gentle criticism I can offer is that the pillows could be replaced in some of the rooms. I bring one with me no matter where I go, so it's not a deal breaker. I've stayed in other, higher end hotels in the area and so far I can't say any of them have fantastic pillows. :-\

I'm told the menu at the restaurant is very good, but can't attest to it anymore. My husband and I used to love going there for the wood grilled pizza and wonderful pulpo (octopus) salad, but since we both found out we can't have gluten there isn't much on the menu that we're able to have. :-( Hoping for more gluten free options in the future. The restaurant has a full bar, so it's still great for a pre-dinner drink for us.

All in all, Giardino is a fun and friendly base to have while you're in Playa Guiones!

Room Tip: Deluxe or apartment guarantees more light and roomier feel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I don't normally write reviews, but I felt compelled because of the ongoing horrible experience I had with this hotel! I booked a room in advance (for a Monday+Tuesday stay in march) and let them know that I was not willing to give them my credit card number (based on some of the negative reviews I read). The room I reserved was listed as "deluxe" and "private patio." When we arrived I asked to see the room and they immediately asked for my credit card to "start registration" while we looked at the room.
The room was just terrible! Dark, dingy with one small window. Three dead insects were visible on the floor and another on the bed. It smelled musty. The "patio" was a small tiled area on the side with one sad looking plastic chair, no sunshine... totally unpleasant. They offered to show us another room, but I had seen enough. We very politely let them know we were going to look elsewhere for lodging, retrieved my card and left. At NO point did they object, try to stop us, or warn us that they were going to charge my card. One week later they did! A full $210 for a two night stay! I never signed anything and I immediately called chase fraud protection but these dishonest people are still refusing to refund my money for a room that was so terrible I wouldn't have stayed. For a poor hotel experience I wouldn't bother giving a bad review online, but for charging for a 2 night stay, without consent, essentially stealing my credit card number and giving no warning they were going to do so... STAY AWAY.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
MYM357, Gerente at Giardino Tropicale, responded to this review, February 4, 2015
This is incorrectly portrayed. This guest arrived to a fully booked hotel with a reservation. The hotel has a cancellation policy and had sent this information out, as it does with each reservation when confirming space. The credit card was on file for the reservation, as per policy. The guest did not cancel the reservation but left without comment or consultation. The hotel management attempted to reach her and tried to fill the space and when it did not, charged the card for the lost revenue per their policy. The deluxe room has windows on three sides of the building and has a tiled porch with wooden furtniture and a leather/ wooden rocking chair. This was a downstairs unit on the northern side which receives less light but is also naturally cooler. There are only plastic lounge chairs in the pool area. We aim for the highest possible level of service and are sorry this traveler did not stay to enjoy it. Please see our other 150+ positive reviews!
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Such a relaxing spot with beautiful, lush gardens. I stayed here for a week with my 10 yr. old son. The owners were very friendly and helpful with arranging activities. The room was very clean and comfortable. I was very happy we stayed here. The beach is a short walk.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor, we had a nice patio with a hammock out front. The room had lots of n...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Been to Giardino Tropicale? Share your experiences!