“Giardino Tropicale is a real find in Playa Guiones” 4 of 5 stars

Announcement
Click for details
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Nosara
Chicago, Illinois
“Giardino Tropicale is a real find in Playa Guiones”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

My husband and I stay at Giardino almost every time we go to Playa Guiones in the Nosara area. Marcel and Myriam are the consummate hosts. Myriam is great at finding entertainment in the area for you.

Every morning, a simple but filling breakfast is served to order near the pool. Great time to reflect about the rest of the day. Marcel and/or Myriam are often sitting at an adjoining table, and are happy to talk about your vacation plans or anything else that comes up! Between them, they speak Spanish, English and German, providing ease of communication for a variety of guests.

The lush grounds are ideal for languidly viewing as you lie in a hammock, nodding off. :-)

Having stayed in each type of room, I recommend one of the Deluxe rooms or the apartment. The Standard rooms are smaller and not as light as the others, so after our first visit we upgraded.
Some of the Deluxe rooms we've stayed in have delightful paintings directly painted on the wall, and they all have a kitchen-like section of the room where you can make coffee, store items in a refrigerator and have a sink for a quick clean-up.
The apartment is a good option for when you want to stretch out and have a small but serviceable kitchen (and table and chairs!) at your fingertips. We have relatives in town so we appreciate the room when everyone comes over for an afternoon or evening.
The only gentle criticism I can offer is that the pillows could be replaced in some of the rooms. I bring one with me no matter where I go, so it's not a deal breaker. I've stayed in other, higher end hotels in the area and so far I can't say any of them have fantastic pillows. :-\

I'm told the menu at the restaurant is very good, but can't attest to it anymore. My husband and I used to love going there for the wood grilled pizza and wonderful pulpo (octopus) salad, but since we both found out we can't have gluten there isn't much on the menu that we're able to have. :-( Hoping for more gluten free options in the future. The restaurant has a full bar, so it's still great for a pre-dinner drink for us.

All in all, Giardino is a fun and friendly base to have while you're in Playa Guiones!

Room Tip: Deluxe or apartment guarantees more light and roomier feel
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

I don't normally write reviews, but I felt compelled because of the ongoing horrible experience I had with this hotel! I booked a room in advance (for a Monday+Tuesday stay in march) and let them know that I was not willing to give them my credit card number (based on some of the negative reviews I read). The room I reserved was listed as "deluxe" and "private patio." When we arrived I asked to see the room and they immediately asked for my credit card to "start registration" while we looked at the room.
The room was just terrible! Dark, dingy with one small window. Three dead insects were visible on the floor and another on the bed. It smelled musty. The "patio" was a small tiled area on the side with one sad looking plastic chair, no sunshine... totally unpleasant. They offered to show us another room, but I had seen enough. We very politely let them know we were going to look elsewhere for lodging, retrieved my card and left. At NO point did they object, try to stop us, or warn us that they were going to charge my card. One week later they did! A full $210 for a two night stay! I never signed anything and I immediately called chase fraud protection but these dishonest people are still refusing to refund my money for a room that was so terrible I wouldn't have stayed. For a poor hotel experience I wouldn't bother giving a bad review online, but for charging for a 2 night stay, without consent, essentially stealing my credit card number and giving no warning they were going to do so... STAY AWAY.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

Such a relaxing spot with beautiful, lush gardens. I stayed here for a week with my 10 yr. old son. The owners were very friendly and helpful with arranging activities. The room was very clean and comfortable. I was very happy we stayed here. The beach is a short walk.

Room Tip: Our room was on the top floor, we had a nice patio with a hammock out front. The room had lots of n...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We recently spent one night here and it was awful. Those writing excellent reviews may travel much differently than we do. For example, there were scratchy bottom sheets on our beds and only one small scratchy odd cover thing. No top sheet. No blanket. Pillows were like balled up gym socks in a pillow case. The towels were all mismatched and also quite thin. Warnings posted all around about local crime, esp at the beach. I'm sure people go there and love it but after your early 20's I think everyone has a much different expectation for a vacation- not to mention that you have to drive for hours on dirt roads filled with potholes. In fact the entire drive was potholes. We all still feel like we are recovering from our visit there a few weeks later. The owners do seem lovely and we're very warm. But I think others should know what they are getting into. We learned the hard way that all trip advisor reviews are not equal. I would say this could be an excellent stay for very young travelers wishing to save money. Know we never saw a beach near this place either. Still a 10 min walk away. Went to another stretch of beach by driving. Walked through the reserve at Lagarta Lodge and much nicer for families. I'd hate for another family to have the same experience we did. Almost ruined our much needed vacation.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Telluride, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014

I have never stayed at the hotel, but in my search for the best pizza, was directed here. (Closed during off-season; we had to come back a year later!) Guests of the hotel say that it is very nice and it seemed; strolling through, like a summer-camp paradise!
Having only dined there, I can say the service is professional, the wine is very good, and the pizza is some of the best I have ever had. We were celebrating our honey moon in 2013, and our first anniversary in 2014. The Malbec was very good and the pizza was melt in your mouth lovely, with a shared first course of salad, with chicken. Built on a hillside, in the traditional open style, you can enjoy the tropical night air. If you are in Guiones, it will require a short walk, which can be a treat, if the fireflys are out; or a bit of a challenge, if it is raining. Totally worth it! Very good! Romantic and special.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Atenas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014

My daughter and I visited Giardino's and fell in love with this lovely place! The landscape with tropical plants and flowers was so lush, and, toward the evening, the lights come on just enough to make this an absolute magical experience! Words just can't describe it! The hosts, Marcel and Myriam are wonderful and welcoming, and we knew we were in good hands, as they are both very capable, well organised, and know what they're doing!! We hated to leave after only 3 days there...lucky for us, we live in Costa Rica, so make make the 3 hour drive there from time to time! The rooms were clean and inviting, and the food was quite good at the restaurant there..I hear the pizza is terrific, but did't try it! Coffee is hot, fresh and strong..perfection!
Thanks, Myriam and Marcel...we will be back!!!!

Room Tip: I recommend the second story..we stayed in "B" and enjoyed the beauty from the balcony!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2014

I was traveling alone, from Canada, with my 2 children for the first time. 8 and 11 years old. We stayed for 10 days at Giardino Tropicale and loved it. Myriam and Marcel were so welcoming and kind. We left feeling like family. Everyone associated with the hotel was kind and welcoming.
It was very hard to leave. The rooms are great, we had a kitchen and shopped at the local market as groceries were quite expensive in guiones.
We walked everywhere and felt completely safe at all times. The beach is very close.
We will return for another stay with Myriam and Marcel. They honestly took care of us like we were family. Our friends were staying at a (very expensive) yoga/healing resort near by and wished they would have stayed at Giardino Tropicale.
It was a tropical paradise and felt like home. We really did not want to leave and we are telling everyone to stay there. We miss waking up with our monkeys and all the birds !!! Thank you for making our first holiday perfect. Allison, Kelly and Andie

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to Giardino Tropicale? Share your experiences!