“An amazing surf experience and best vacation destination” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Casa Tucan

Casa Tucan
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nosara
Casa Tucan
Playa Guiones, Nosara, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #14 of 18 hotels in Nosara
New York City, New York
“An amazing surf experience and best vacation destination”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2010

I booked 5 days at Safari Surf School and did it somewhat blind. I used the web and trip advisor but really didn't do my research. Was i pleasantly surprised! I could have extended my vacation for weeks, months, it was amazing. The casa tucan was the hub for everyone to meet up and have dinner, get drinks and explore Playa Guiones. I made new friends and had a blast with the staff and instructors. They make you feel part of the family.
The surf school was amazing. I was standing on the outside by the 3rd day. The instructors were smart, patient, and instilled a sense of confidence and accomplishment. The instruction is clear and caters to ALL levels. They explain each step and really emphasize the basics. Practice, practice, practice. They let you stay out longer and teach you how to read the waves.
Accomodations are basic but you are never in your room anyhow. I recommend bug spray after dark.

I would go back in a heartbeat and kind of hope the town does not explode with tourists.
It is a street of about 4-5 shops and about 4-5 restaurants, all based on yoga.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends

20 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2010

If you are looking for a place near the beach with really fun and consistent waves, warm water, super friendly and experienced instructors, cozy little hotel with great inexpensive food, then Safari Surf School is the perfect company for you to contact. The stuff is very dedicated and they will help you get the package that works best for your needs.
I personally stayed at Casa Tucan both times that I went to Nosara (just recently in Feb. 2010 and about 5 years ago) and absolutely love it. It is not a luxury hotel by any means, but is very clean, comfortable, cozy, with a nice deep clean little pool and an outdoor restaurant that serves the freshest and very tasty food from early morning till 10pm. You can also drink their tap water which is actually very tasty too (I personally like that fact a lot since I usually like to drink tons of water after surfing). The hotel is landscaped beautifully, you can take postcard pictures, really. The staff is very friendly, relaxed and attentive at the same time. You can order your breakfast or lunch while on they way to your room from surfing and eat the food 10 minutes later after you take a quick shower and change your swimwear. The vibe is very laid back and you really feel that you are on vacation.
The beach is 2-3 minutes walking and it is wonderful. Surfers of all levels, from complete beginners to real pros, seem to find enough room for themselves comfortably. And if you wake up early, then you can have practically the whole two-three mile stretch of that gorgeous beach entirely to yourself.
The last time we went to Nosara, I was with my sister and our 70 year old mother. Being the only person out of the three of us surfing, I was honestly a little concerned that my dear women would get a little bored, but nothing like that happened. They really loved taking long walks on the beach, found a couple of places where the waves weren't breaking so they could swim, and at times when it is too hot to be in the direct sun, there are nice cafe/shopping area just 5 minutes walking from Casa Tucan, or , as we did most of the time, just hang out in the shade by the pool and the hotel's restaurant. And it is so easy to make good friend there, the atmosphere at Casa Tucan just naturally provides it. By the time our one week vacation was over, it seemed that we new all the guests, instructors and staff members for many years. :)
The 4-4,5 hours taxi ride from San Jose Airport was very comfortable and scenic. We all enjoyed it in both directions. If you arrive to San Jose at around 9 or 10 AM, I would recommend it over the SJ-Nosara airplane flight. You will save some money, get to see a lot of beautiful nature on your way to Nosara + that little plane ride might get a bet bumpy, as I remember from 5 years ago. We all liked our taxi ride and were glad that we took it. The road gets a bit rough just the last 20 minutes before you get to Nosara because it is not paved, otherwise it's a very smooth ride all the way.
Nosara seems a very safe place, you can walk by yourself at night and everything. If I can only give one advise - don't keep your money and valuables in you room, keep them in the hotel's office in a safety box. Also, make sure that your balcony door (the back door) is always locked when you are not in the room. Just in case... :)
My surf instructors were very helpful. They are all wonderful surfers and very dedicated to teaching you. Many times they were giving me advises not even while I was having my lessons, but just when they would see me do something funny and just wanted to correct it.
Thank you Owen, Rolando and Tyler! And thank you Tim for you your patience and for all the work you did setting us up for our trip!

Stayed July 2010
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2009

I stayed at Casa Tucan on a recent surfing vacation. Although a little dated, it was clean, simple, AC'd and all around perfect accomodations. For the type of area/experience Nosara is (surfers galore, yogis, environmentally conscience) it fits. No need for high-end frills and fluff here. The staff was very nice and friendly. The food at cafe is good, fresh seafood most nights is a solid bet. You can walk to everything and very close to the beach.

One of the best things is it quiet over night. Other members of my group were at Harbour Reef and Harmony and plagued by all night party crowds. Tucan is nice and quiet by 11pm. I will be going back in a couple months with my family and will choose Tucan.

The only downside is wireless is not accessible from room which is a problem if you need to work some. And the in room safes didn't work.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2009

I have been to this hotel a total of four times over the past two years. In the past it was enjoyable for all the reasons that the other reviews have mentioned, but last time things were different. The manager Tyler was overbearing, loud and very rude, he harrased the customers and was belligerant towards the staff. It was very uncomfortable and I will not stay there again. There are many other good hotels in the area. Also, last visit rooms were dirty and full! of bugs - much more than usual. Food was not the same either!!

Stayed April 2008
New Hampshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2008

We enjoyed our stay here. The rooms are simple but clean and the pool is nice. The grounds are nice but not amazing. The bar/restaurant is the best part. Always a great crowd, good food and fun music. I would suggest this for people who are relaxed and okay with the fact that the bar may run out of white wine. For us this was fine, a lady at the next table was a bit upset (to bad for her!) We have travelled all over and were happy here, not our favorite but would certainly return. Close to the beach and very surfer oriented as you should expect given it's locale.

• Liked — close to surf, rooms in other building were large with nice sitting area inside
  • Disliked — lack of office/ front desk to help with questions and to check in, seemed disorganized
  • Stayed January 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2007

Casa Tucan is 3km outside of Nosara. This hotel is very small. It has clean rooms with great AC and the basic necessities. The area is rustic, basic and real. This place is of, for and by surfers.

Tyler is one of the two owners of the hotel and is the owner as well as one of the instructors of Safari Surf School. Rusty is also part owner of Casa Tucan. When he is in town, his band (The Killer Penguins) will rock the bar. I was told he was the pianist for Three Dog Night.

There is live music at the bar every Friday and Saturday night and while it is in season, American Football plays on the big plasma over the bar every Sunday.

It is said that Costa Rica has some of the most beautiful women in the world and the girls working behind this bar are living proof.

The food in the restaurant at Casa Tucan is fantastic. The seafood tastes recently caught and the vegetables are as fresh as I have come to expect in this country.

The bars closes at 10pm and there is a quiet policy in place from then on. Surfers are early risers. Here you will wake to fresh hot Costa Rican coffee at the bar each morning.

The hotel will wash your clothes for $5 US per load. There is a laundromat within walking distance.

Casa Tucan is a 5 minute walk to the beach. This is the closest hotel to the ocean.

This hotel is also home to the Safari Surf School. That is what brought me here and I was not disappointed. Kimbo had me surfing (actually standing on the board!) 10 minutes after we entered the water.

This place is a bargain. I never did figure out exactly how much the rooms were but my 3 night stay, all my meals, wine and beer came to $270 US. I couldn't believe it.

Tica Massage is across the side street from the hotel. They have several 50 minute massages for $50. They are a big help thy day after you over do it.

The only pharmacy/store within walking distance was closed. So pack your sunscreen.

AT&T roamed in Nosara but only on the beach and in town. Hotel De Cafe Paris has internet access equivalent to DSL for $6US per hour.

• Liked — Friendly people in a beautiful setting.
  • Disliked — Hard to get to.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2006

I have actually stayed at this property twice - first time was in March of 2005 and second time was in May of 2006. It has only gotten better - they are doing wonderful things here. Its very close to a lovely beach, and there are so things to do and see nearby. Every member of the staff is incredibly helpful and friendly. I think that the restaurant here has the best pizza in Nosara, but the other offerings are delicious as well - especially for post surfing grub! It is dark and difficult to get around at night if you do not know the area, but if you need to leave the property (and why would you? the food is great, the bar is well stocked and there is entertainment a couple of nights a week!) the hotel is happy to arrange transportation for you. The rooms are spacious and air-conditioned and the pool is clean and refreshing. The hammocks are perfect for laying around and reading or dozing off. Planning another trip soon and won't consider another hotel in the area. Not only is the staff phenomenal, but every other guest I've encounted here is cool as well. I travel by myself alot and this is a great place to meet people.

• Liked — The people - staff and guests.
  • Tips/Secrets — the pizza......and enjoy the appetisers.
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Casa Tucan? Share your experiences!