“Hidden gem. Clean, safe and comfortable.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Teak Pacific Hotel

You added Teak Pacific Hotel to your Saves list
Teak Pacific Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Lots C184 and C185, Playas de Nosara, Nosara, Costa Rica (Formerly Villa Las Tecas)   |
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Nosara
Miami, Florida
“Hidden gem. Clean, safe and comfortable.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed at Villa Las Tecas in October and because it was low season Jay let me stay at the villa next ot the pool and it was really nice and comfortable with a properly equipped kitchen. Maria and Kevin, who are encharged of the hotel could not have been nicer hosts making sure I had everything I needed and making me feel right at home and safe, wich helped make this vacation truly special. This hotel is close to beautiful playa pelada, my favorite beach in Nosara, and one of my favorite things to do became my almost daily walks on the sand from playa pelada to playa guiones, exploring the natural pools in the rocky beach in pelada during low tide and surfing beautiful guiones could not have been a better combination for who loves the water.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Nashville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

My husband and I came to Nosara in May 2012 to stay for the summer. We stayed at Villa Las Tecas for ten weeks. Our experience was amazing.

When we arrived here I was very impressed. The gardens are incredible. Everywhere you look there are beautiful flowers and luscious greenery. Every morning I would go pluck a ripe juicy mango from one the many mango trees on the property to enjoy with my coffee. It was the perfect start to the day.

The pool on the property is clean and relaxing. Especially after a long surf session. We would usually come home, immediately grab a beverage, and jump in and float in the cool, refreshing water. It also proved to be a great place to kick back and read a good book.

The apartments are basic, but clean and comfortable. Our apartment had a queen size bed and three big comfortable futons. We had plenty of room for guests and often had people over for dinner. They have really nice bodega on the property as well. It was lined with several hammocks so there was never a shortage of relaxation space.

Being that we stayed here so long we became really good friends with the staff. Everyone was very hospitable and delightful to be around. Many times we would all get together and and have potluck dinners or breakfast under the bodega.

It was like having Thanksgiving in the the tropics. We would talk, laugh, and share stories for hours. The location is great as well. It is only a 10 min walk to Playa Pelada and another 5 min walk to Guionnes. Its also conveniently located close to some really great restaurants.

I felt very safe here as well. They keep a couple of dogs, Lobo and Ruthie, on the property who are friendly but do their job in keeping away creepers. I would definitely recommend staying here for a long term stay or a short term visit.

We built many lasting memories as well as many great relationships. Terrific staff. Terrific location. Terrific experience all around.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The three of us stayed at Villas Las Tecas for close to 2 and a half months. My husband and I accidentally ended up here one night after sunset and surely didn't regret it. We were greeted by the owner Teresita, shown the vacant villa and decided to stay 3 nights but those three nights turned into a week which turned into a month and then another 2. Teresita was more then accommodating during our stay there, always making sure we had what we needed, willing to assist and help in booking appts (Dr., lawyer, ect.), provided helpful advice, notifying us of new news, local events, and warnings, and sharing stories of the locals and past events. Yes shes a missionary like the others have stated but not once did she push religion or have outlandish 'visions' like the other posts stated. I think their reviews are harsh and far-fetched. She is truly a nice and caring lady who wants to make your stay comfortable and enjoyable, making sure to never cross any boundaries. As for the Villas it's self, they are equip with everything you'd need for a long-term (or short term stay), although some of the cookware and utensils are a bit 'tired' and cheap, and the stove can use a little patience, but otherwise we were able to live and cook comfortably. Villas Las Tecas are perfectly hidden in Playa Pelada, tucked away from all the traffic which then equals dust in the dry season. It's quiet and safe.... she's never had any problems of petty-theft or robbery on her property, which truly says a lot. The pool is a great place to relax surrounded by a beautiful garden.... the gardener Saul does a great job with the property! The main area of Playa Pelada is a leisurely 10 minute walk from the Villas and the surf beach of Guiones is just another 5-10 minutes from there. There are about 5 different restaurants localed within walking distance all with a different flair to suit and please anyones palate. I'd highly recommend Villas Las Tecas. It's no 5 star accomodation but perfect for a relaxing and quiet vacation for those who'd like to discover the Nosara area. We miss it already.

Room Tip: The ground units are the coolest in temp. but all units are equip with ceiling fans and an A/C in th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

At first this place seemed like it was going to be fine. Nosara was a little hard to get to from San Jose and we arrived late (9pm) because we got lost but we were relieved upon arrival that the owner seemed friendly. The lady who runs it is an American missionary who appears to be serving out a sentence at Las Tecas. I say sentence because she seems to be very unhappy, lonely, and her talks of "visions" made the hairs on my neck stand up. I'll explain why.

First, as to the hotel - As far as cleanliness, the rooms are ok but not insect proof. We found one large spider in the kitchen within minutes of arriving. Plus the millipedes were trying to get in all night and we had to spray insect repellent in the doorway to keep them out. We're not afraid of bugs so that was fine. I wish we'd known to bring more insect repellent but we dealt with it.

The next morning we were so excited to go to the beach! We woke up early, got dressed. I got ready first and sat outside and waited for the family to get ready. Then the owner came and snuck up behind me. Our conversations started normally but then she suddenly asked whether I'm married or not, and about my parents, and my religion. She got personal really fast and it felt very affronting. I didn't know that was only the beginning.

Staying at Las Tecas became a daily ritual of trying to avoid the hotel manager's constant proselytizing (trying to convert us). We knew we were being watched too as she commented on times we came in and times we left. I would step outside to sit on the steps and the owner would constantly come by to talk to me alone (while I'm reading) asking me about God and what faith I am. I tried to use the pool but since the gardeners used it in the morning I usually waited until they were done, which I didn't mind only I often gave up because the owner would inevitably find me and start talking about God. When she ran out of things to say about God talking about her husband, how he left for another woman, her missionary work out in Costa Rica and how I should go to some other country and not stay in the US because God is wanting me to do other work somewhere. She had a vision right before my eyes. Yes, while I was sitting in a wicker chair and she was standing next to me, she flipped her eye lids and had a vision.
My parents taught me to be polite but this was over the top. I walked away as this was slowly becoming the vacation from hell.

It's too bad the lady running it is so weird because the garden is nice and with a little more insect repellent and some regular pool hours for guests only and this place is fine. She's just so hard to avoid, really it's like she waited for my fiance and I to come home every day because she must have "bumped" into us 3-4 times a day.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
teakpacific, Owner at Teak Pacific Hotel, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Thank you for your review. We have recently purchased the hotel and are going through major renovations! New kitchens and bathrooms with granite counter tops, glass paneled shower wall, all new fixtures, appliances and furnishings. We would love to have you come back and take a look at the new hotel. In addition to the remodeling we are offering a much more guest centered experience. We are also changing our name to reflect the new "us". Villa Las Tecas is now Teak Pacific Hotel. Come and experience barefoot luxury!
Orlando, FL
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2009

The hotel itself is really nice, and if you've always wanted to live in a horror movie, then this is the place for you. Teresita, a very religious American woman who runs the hotel along with her rottweiler and 3 cats, will keep you on the verge of eviction as well as fearful that she will break through your room door one night with a chainsaw to murder you where you sleep. She is seemingly nice at first, despite the obvious lack of social skills through little human contact, but will can mutate to a snarling beast at the drop of a pope hat, accusing you of intentionally sabotaging her hotel in one way or another.

If you do find yourself staying at this hotel, here are some survival tips:
1. Say as little as possible and as quietly as possible, because Teresita or one of her cats is probably eavesdropping. Everything she hears will be used against you.
2. Do not allow any of the millions of stray dogs of Costa Rica to follow you back to the hotel. It seems that stray dogs are hell-spawns that desecrate her holy asylum.
3. Bring your own back-up toilet paper. If you forget that Costa Rica's plumbing was designed by kindergarteners and send some toilet paper through the drain, she will steal the roll in your bathroom and pray for Jesus to remove your excretory organs.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with friends
Orofino, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

I was lucky to be in Costa Rica this March. Most of my stay was at Villa Las Tecas and it was great. The apartments are very spacious and comfortable. The full kitchen includes your dishes and cooking utensils and a large shower in the bathroom. The bedroom sleeps 4 comfortably with the double futon bed and bunk beds along with the A/C. The living room had two futons that could sleep 2 more. There is a covered outside area with hammocks, tables and chairs. Great place to relax and play games. The pool, ahhhh very nice and refreshing. It would be helpful if you liked animals, as there are several friendly cats and a very sweet dog. We enjoyed watching the howler monkeys most evenings and watching the lightning bugs at night. The beach is a short walk, along with a grocery store within walking distance. The owners are very friendly and would be happy to give you recommendations on the best restaurants, beaches, ect., in and around Nosara. Great place for a relaxing vacation!!

Stayed March 2008
Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2008

A fabulous place run by fabulous people. Our spacious apartment was great! It could possibly sleep 10 people if needed. The living room was decorated with 3 double futons, a table, and a ceiling fan. There was a full kitchen too! Complete with refrigerator and icebox, a bar and stools, a stove, an oven, and loads of cooking utensils! The bathroom was nice. The shower was huge. The bedroom was perfect. A bunk bed, a full bed, and a large closet. A/C in the bedroom. Everything was great. The property was fabulous. Nicely decorated. There is a pool, loads of hammocks, and board games as well! A large outside/inside covered patio perfect for relaxing. There are a few cats and 2 dogs that are extremely friendly and add to the charm of this hotel. The owners are very friendly and helpful. They will be happy to tell you about the best restaurants, beach spots, and views in Nosara. An excellent place all around.

• Liked — the quality for the cost
  • Disliked — no food
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Teak Pacific Hotel? Share your experiences!