“Beautiful hotel a stones throw from the beach!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Casa Romantica

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nosara
Hotel Casa Romantica
You added Hotel Casa Romantica to your Saves list
Apdo. 134 | Casa Romantica, Playa Guiones, Nosara 50206, Costa Rica   |
Special Deal
Free breakfast with your stay
Ranked #16 of 21 Hotels in Nosara
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel a stones throw from the beach!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

As we were travelling during green season we hadn't booked and were able to get a room as the hotel was very quiet. We took a small room with no AC which was very basic, but nice and clean. It was very hot but the ceiling fan was ok for us.
The hotel grounds are beautiful! The gardens are filled with beautiful flowers and plants and the large swimming pool was clean and cool - watch out for visiting crabs in the pool, we had to fish out quite a few! As we were travelling in green season, during the day the hotel was empty and really lived up to it's name as it felt like we had the whole place to ourselves, very romantic! The hotel has it's own private path to the beach which is a 2 minute stroll away. The beach is rustic and beautiful and it was great to have it so close by.
The restaurant at the hotel was fairly expensive however was nice, expect lots of italian dishes. We didn't realise that the restaurant was closed on Sundays so we drove in the dark (big no no!) to find somewhere for dinner, got lost and managed to get our jeep stuck in the mud!!! Not an enjoyable experience, however after returning to the hotel on foot, the owners were very helpful the next day and spoke to our car rental company for us to arrange for them to get our car back. They also let us borrow a long rope to use (as the car rental guy did not have a long enough one to tow us out!) which was very kind.
A really lovely place, would recommend.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
PNW
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2010

This was my second time and my wife's first.We stayed 2 nights. I had set the expectations high as she had seen the pictures and heard the reports of how much my friends and I liked the hotel and food. We were not dissapointed dinner was very good. My wife liked the house Chardoney, I had the fruide de mare (spelling?) Dinner was very reasonable ( 38,000 plus 13% VAT cash).
We found out late on Sunday that they didn't serve dinner on Sundays. So we asked other guests where we might go and they recommended La Dolce Vita. I have to say this turned out to be a blessing, the food was incredible. When I go back I will split the nights up again.
They key elements of this place havn't changed, the location, pool and grounds make this a must do for Nosara.
My wifes only complaint was that she did not like the smell in the room #8 ( her nose is sensative mines a decoration) I can't judge how bad it was, but to be fair to Casa R we did not complain or even comment to the management about this. Mattress was poor. The bathroom was updated or better than I remembered.

I think a general tip is to bring lots of US cash down with you. We pulled out Colones from a local bank machine ( bought at a lesser rate plus two ATM fees) then we paid the bill quoted in US dollars converted to Colones at a higher rate . Between the two conversions it adds up.

Overall my wife and I really enjoyed our stay, we hope to stay again. location, food and pool make this spot a must do. A highlite of this trip was Howler Monkeys (short walk) and a visit to Tica Massage for the wife ( she raved about it ) great price and wife said they were good.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Olivos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

I don't surf, but my husband does. Although we thought the hotel itself was nice (great food, clean rooms, reeeeaaaaally nice pool) the surf left a lot to be desired. he went out at least twice a day & never came back excited by the waves. Granted, we life near fantastic surf in california, but it was not a case of being spoiled. We heard from other guests that came here regularly that the surf has been steadily going downhill over the past few years. Very mushy. Regardless, the hotel itself was wonderful...but biggest testimant to the place is that we met SEVERAL other guests who had been to nosara many times in the past & absolutely swear by casa romantica. We enjoyed our time here, and the dinner at the resturant was among the best we had on our entire honeymoon.

Casa Romantica is a bit pricey, but we felt that this seemed to be a trend throughout Nosara. the prices on everything, including lunch, are competetive to resort locations in the US. I reccommend this hotel if you are looking for a warm, friendly place with great food & private beach access. We would certinly come back.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
rye, nh
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2010

Stayed here twice, in 2005 and in 2006. With my wife and children. Not sure if same owners, I believe so. Food was terrific, bit pricey, but Nosara is getting pricier and pricier. Beds were not great, bring your own pillow on every adventure. Ceiling fans are great. Hammocks are great. Surfing 50 meters outside the front gate with nothing between you and your cabina. Pool is clean, grounds are clean... gardner well that was another story... he was peeking in our window, through that one 5 inch spot that wasn't covered by a drape, while my wife and I were enjoying the morning before my surf (couldn't be positive it was him, but it was, so I couldn't do much about it... Probably isn't there anymore... Lastly, I felt safe, secure and my kids enjoyed the hell out of it... we really enjoyed it and it remains a safe option to enjoy and relax if other trips do not pan out... I say check it out... also, favorite restaurants in town... La Luna is a must for some relaxing lunch, or a romantic dinner and you can bring the kids... and La Mariposa is just about the best breakfast i have ever had.... room temp fruit bowl, espresso (many) and toast... sometimes and egg... but what a way to start the day after a morning surf... we lived at these places. Enjoy an easy, nice vacation where you can walk around and feel safe with nothing to do. I rated it honestly, without emotion... I think most reviews are either over enthusiastic or overly mean..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Montevideo, Minnesota
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2010

Owners run the place on a tight budget. Prices on Guidebooks (both lonely planet and footprint) are half the real ones. Buffet Breakfast is severely affected by owners policy to maximise earnings. After a few days I tried the everpresent fried Spam (positive: first time I have tried it in my life). You really have to scramble for the small commonal serving of scrambled eggs.
Avoid dinner, very much Swiss style (overcooked pasta and wienerschnitzel) and poor in quantity (I was served the smallest fish fillet ever). Just walk out of the place turn right and head to the airy restaurant (tex-mex style) serving fantastic specials of the day. I had my best lobster ever. Really. (The owners told us that we should not venture out at night beacause of the horrendous traffic......).
The only positive is the extremely close location to the nice beach but you can find the same elsewhere in Nosara at a lower rate and with a more welcoming patrons.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Ottawa, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2010

Casa Romantica is located in the quaint surf town of Nosara. We stayed in two different rooms during our stay as we had reserved last minute and they were quite booked. Although it was just my husband and I, our first room was meant for a family of 4 – 5. It had two rooms, a fridge, and a/c in the master bedroom only. The room was dark, and opening the curtains took away any privacy. The metal bars on the windows and door took away any charm.

The next day we moved into another room. Surprisingly, this room was ten times better – it was bright, seemed cleaner, no metal bars on the windows or door, and the bathroom seemed updated and modern.

The restaurant at the hotel was great – dinner was fantastic, and the buffet breakfast was just enough to get you going for the day. The hotel has a private entrance to the beach, and it is just a walk away. The pool was decently kept and very warm during the day. The staff were friendly enough, but I never got the sense that they would go that extra mile. Compared to other places I had been, I never felt a true welcoming feeling here.

The location is great, and close to many things in Nosara – restaurants, bars, ice cream parlours, etc... We had dinner at a place called La Luna – cute and a great spot to watch the sunset. I loved Nosara, but wasn’t thrilled by Casa Romantica. If I ever go back, I’d probably try a different hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2009

In the land of perpetual "mucho gusto", Nosara-Costa Rica, you know the Gods were smiling when they created this corner of the country!
They must have said, "Let's create a place where the animals celebrate audibly(Howler Monkeys), along with the trees and plants, (ancient hardwords with tropical ginger and sages). And then, we will make them behold to the dance of the butterflies, (the Blue Morpho and a colorful host of others) from the music of castanetting crusteaceans, (orange&purple Halloween beach and land crabs).
The land will feel the breath of the creators (Playa Guiones, the MOST consistent surf break in Costa Rica) from the long broad beach, that accomodates the infinite sea. Where under a full moon the arrival of returning ancient ones visit, in their glorious magnitude (Olive Ridley sea turtles, hundreds of thousands of them, North of Playa Guiones at Playa Ostional)."
This intense vibration of life ia all ever-presently staged at CASA ROMANTICA! A perfectly small hotel located at one of the most beautiful beaches of Costa Rica. BUT, it is the management and the chefs that encompass the affection for their guests through international cuisine and personal attention!
Casa Romantics has long been a home base for many a world traveler! Why a home base? Who wouldn't feel at home at CASA ROMANTICA in Nosara, Costa Rica?
Submitted by: a 15-year recurrent guest,