“Bad sushi and mai tai, average yoga and pedicure, great juice” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 21 Hotels in Nosara
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersGold level
seattle
“Bad sushi and mai tai, average yoga and pedicure, great juice”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

I didn't stay here this trip. The rooms look nice and I will try to stay here in the future; however, I will avoid the following:

- The sushi was disgusting. Most of the fish seemed past it's prime
- I had the worst mai tai of my life here. It was almost pure lemon juice and gave me a ridiculous stomach ache

The alright:
- The pedicure staff is friendly. The actual pedicure is overpriced and average in quality. I don't like their nail polish.
- The yoga was nothing special. I will probably stick with the Yoga House next trip, but avoid the guy teacher. The woman teacher at the Yoga House is great.
- Didn't get a massage, but I imagine it can't top Tica Massage, which was one of the best massages of my life

The excellent:
- The juice guy Andrew is wonderful: very friendly, made us fresh juice mixes off normal hours, and the juice was delicious

If I board here, I'll write a review on the rooms. I'll be sure to go somewhere else though for yoga, pedicures, and massage (stay with TIico Massage)

I wish I didn't have to choose whether I recommend this place to a friend. I guess I'll say 'yes' since I'm hoping to try out the rooms next visit. Who knows, maybe by my next visit the items I didn't like above will have improved!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
harmonyNosara, Manager at Harmony Hotel Nosara, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Dear cranberryAli,

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback on your restaurant and spa experience at the Harmony Hotel. Too bad you could not stay with us to the get the whole experience. First of all, we would like to apologize that our services did not meet your expectations. It comes somewhat as a surprise as our sushi is very popular in all of Nosara and a favorite of our guests and people visiting from other hotels in Nosara. We buy our fish from a local fisherman that is known for the great quality of his fish. But then again, we do make mistakes and it seems you had your experience on a day where we were not performing 100%. We would love to get a second chance to make up for this. We hope you can stay at the Harmony Hotel and feel the vibe that makes this experience so special and enjoy our fresh sushi and a great massage and pedicure. Thanks again for your comments and see you soon at Harmony.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

My friend and I spent a week in Nosara at the Harmony hotel. We both cannot say enough great things about Harmony. The staff is very friendly and will get you whatever you need. The service is that of a 5 star hotel. We stayed in the coco rooms which are the smallest but they have the best outdoor space as its very private. These rooms have a nice outdoor shower (I never showered inside) and a hammock. While the other rooms are bigger, most of the outdoor space is open.
The food at the restaurant is also fantastic. From the breakfast to the sushi to the smoothies and cocktails. Harmony gets an A+
This hotel is rustic luxury with a beautiful pool and direct access to the main beach.
I cannot say enough good things.
This is by far the best place to stay in Nosara!

Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2010

We stayed in 2 different room types. The least expensive are the "motel" type rooms which are small, but are close to the salt water pool and restaurant, and occasionally get wireless from the lobby. The bungalows are more roomy, the best ones are toward the edge of the property, #11 was private. Bungalows in the center of the property are not as private, as there is a lot of foot traffic to the beach. Clean, simple, tasteful rooms. Amazing food and 2 great bars (one for drinking alcohol, the other for juice). Staff is friendly and passionate about the eco lodge mission. Great spa, yoga classes. There are a couple of free boogie boards you can use on the beach, which is the main attraction...flat, great waves, you can walk for about 2 miles at mid to low tide. There is a surf shop steps away where you can rent a board. Bonfires at low tide on the weekends :) We will definitely be back!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2009

We stayed here on the first leg of our honeymoon in Costa Rica. Loved it!!

We rented a car and made the drive out to the Harmony Hotel. Its a very cool hotel. There was always great music playing in the lobby, tons of surfing available for all levels, yoga classes, and lots of hidden nooks for reading.

There are so many good things: the breakfasts were amazing, but we never had lunch or dinner at the hotel so can't comment there. The service was top notch, very friendly and helpful. Our room--Room 7--had an AWESOME outdoor shower, and a great deck. We saw monkeys in the evenings, had great access to the beach, and enjoyed the spa services. The beach is not the best for sunning, its definitely a surf beach, but the pool was beautiful and clean. Just get there early to get a chair. People camped out while we were there.

The downsides (if there are any) would be that the hotel's wi-fi was only available in the lobby and the shower pressure in the room was so hard it hurt. As for the shower pressure, not a problem since we showered outside every day. The wi-fi wasn't a problem for us either, since we weren't there to surf the net BUT there were so many guests in the lobby --right by the bar, pool and restaurant--all day and night on the computer it was distracting. Kids watching videos, people skyping in the lobby...again, not the hotel's fault but it was annoying after a couple of days.

Nevertheless, we would absolutely recommend this hotel. Its worth the price. The location is perfect--away from the hub-bub of many touristy sites in Costa Rica. There are a couple local restaurants that were great. Ask the hotel staff for recommendations.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2009

A great place, in a perfect location, with a fantastic staff, and steps from Guiones Beach, the optimal surf spot in Nosara.

They definitely take the concept of sustainability a long way too.From basic recycling to biodegradable soap products all the way to the drinking straws used by the restaurant and bar, which are made out of dried, hollow plant stems. Very cool. The pool is also a salt water pool which was very nice.

There are no TV's in the rooms. On purpose. In fact, there are no TV's in the bar area or anywhere else for that matter. A great way to ensure you really "get away." If you cant stand to be away from the warm fuzzy glow of a lcd screen for too long, just rent an Apple laptop and open her up by the bar, in your room or by the pool and surf the web on the hotel's wireless.

This and other services is what makes the hotel great. For surfers, no need to bring the board back in your room. They have a guarded surfboard rack right on the way to the beach within hotel property. Very nice touch.

Its pricier than most hotels in Costa Rica I know of or have been too, but I would sincerely recommend this place if you can appreciate basic, organic goodness, a perfect location and a great escape. If you are more impressed by walls of flat screen TV's, flashy china, thread counts and more typical 5 star opulence, this might not be for you.

Breakfast was included and was very good. You could order anything you wanted off the breakfast menu, including coffee, juices, etc. They have the typical ' Gallo Pinto' to fresh fruit plates you'd come to expect in Costa Rica, to a thick and delicious French Toast.

My wife and I stayed in the Cocos room. I thought the room was perfect, and the private outdoor shower and hammock were the best part. I didn't shower inside once the whole week.

I've mentioned it once, but its worth mentioning again how great the staff are at Hotel Harmony. Thank you all for exceeding our expectations and making our stay at Harmony an experience we will want to repeat again soon.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Santa Monica, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2009

I spent four days here in late July. Service was spectacular, the staff was personable, pleasant, laid back and professional all at the same time. The room was clean, simply decorated and I especially liked the back outdoor porch/shower area. The location is unbeatable, it's no more than a 2 minute stroll to the beach. The fresh fruit juice cocktails are amazing and the bartender, personable and fun. I look forward to the next time I get to visit Nosara and in particular, The Harmony Hotel.

• Stayed July 2009
san francisco
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

This hotel is very spartan in their rooms, comfy bed, nice sheets, small desk, and very basic bathroom. ( cheap tile, and fixtures, dim light, slow toilet) For art in the room, a large map of Costa Rica... nice porch with outdoor shower, not very private. A safe, 2 robes, and organic soaps and shampoo. I did not like the light in the room, if you were to turn all the lamps you would still not have enough light to read a book comfortably!
Very Basic. No hairdryer, no alarm clock, no TV.
Close to the beach about 5 minutes walk, with security guard to keep your board.
Nice grounds, great salt water pool, warm.
Great service. Clean.
For the price I expected more. The food is great all around, but expensive, lunch/dinner for 2 adults and 1 child ( 2 sushi rolls each and pasta and veggies for our daughter with 1 cocktail was about 88.00 dollars with tip) Breakfast is included with your stay along with a yoga class.
If you like to surf the waves are great, if you have children the water here is safe, boggie boards are a lot of fun! beaches have lots of shells, it can be fun to spend quite a while picking them. Beach is clean and nice, water is warm.
A 5 minute walk takes you to some local ice cream and cafe.... and small little stores.
Nosara caters to a certain budget. Just check the prices in most hotels, and B&Bs.
The service was friendly, over all good.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
harmonyNosara, Manager at Harmony Hotel Nosara, responded to this review, September 22, 2009
Dear Ylara,

Thank you so much for your comments! It is through our clients’ feedback that we are able to work on areas of improvement.

I would like to mention that regarding the room amenities and décor, we truly believe that less is more, and that true simplicity is part of the beach life experience at Harmony Hotel. Nevertheless, we are in the process of installing new reading lamps to improve the lighting in the rooms. I trust that on your next visit you will enjoy this improvement has taken place.

We do have hairdryers and will soon have alarm clocks available at the Front Desk upon request. The reason we do not have hairdryers in each room is because we try to promote an energy saving vacation, but we do have them available if someone should need them. Not having clocks in the rooms is just another opportunity we like to give our clients to lose track of time. The no TV policy goes also along these lines, with the idea to allow people to disconnect from the everyday chatter and focus on the natural beauty that Harmony is all about.

Once again, we truly appreciate your feedback and look forward to receiving you at Harmony again soon.

Been to Harmony Hotel Nosara? Share your experiences!