“A Getaway” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Nosara
south carolina
“A Getaway”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

Remember you are in the Jungle. It seem some people need to get back to the simple life. The greatest treasure in Nosara is the people and the local flavor.
You can stay for 2 weeks and eat at a different restaurant every night and never get a bad meal.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2009

My friend and I wanted to surf Nosara. We searched for a sustainable hotel and found Harmony. Beautiful, nestled in gorgeous vegetation and guarded by families of monkeys hanging out above us! The staff was very friendly and quick to respond to requests. The yoga classes were wonderfully challenging and the spa services were exactly what I needed after 5 days of surfing. I will be back with my husband!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2009

This is a special place. I've realized it from the moment I stepped in to the reception.
This is the example of a place where charm and sustaintabilty coexist in a harmonious way.
The staff, the bungalows, the food, the guys at the bar, the beach, surf, sunset, the mini bookstore, pool, spa (Oh My God!)... everything is brilliant and I can safely say that this was the best place I've ever been in my life.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stayed here for 5 days and must say the hotel was great and the staff was very friendly. There are so many people working at this hotel that no matter where you turn you will find someone there to help you. Here are the PROS and CONS...

PROS:
1. The hotel room has AC
2. The staff is VERY helpful
3. The breakfast is GREAT
4. The juice bar has amazing drinks to choose from
5. The beach is super close
6. They have security all over the place 24/7 - I felt almost too secure ;)
7. Salt water pool (though they need to clean it more often, it is somewhat dirty)
8. They can book anything for you to do, which is great!!!
9. They have two laptops you can use and check out and surf the web from your room, the pool, or the bar (and they are mac's so that was a plus).

CONS:
1. Dinner and Lunch aren't that great, though the Harmony Special for lunch was great (Sea bass, beans, avocado, rice, plantains = yummy)
2. The prices are a little higher here than other places.
3. No TV...

If I did it again I would most likely stay here because this is the best looking hotel out of all of them there. We spoke to some other people that stayed just a few hundred meters away in some condos and that would be the ticket because then you can cook some food...I would recommend this to anyone...

Since this is a HUGE surf town you have to go to INNOCENT SURF SCHOOL to get lessons. After going to all of the places there including the Nosara Surf school, INNOCENT is the best, the people there are certified in CPR, lifeguard, and know how to instruct on how to surf. They even have a pool you can learn in for duck diving. Next time I go back I am going to take all the lessons there...I can't highlight this place enough...

Back to the hotel - Stay here, you won't regret it. We got put up in the CoCo's room first just because our room wasn't ready then we moved to the 1 bedroom bungalow. I liked the CoCo's room better, it was smaller but the private backyard was great. We stayed in room number 16 which is right next to the path to the beach so you can hear all the early bird surfers go by in the morning...not that bad, but if you need it super quiet then say in number 24. The outside showers are pretty awesome if you ask me (though #16 didn't have one, it was inside with a tub)...

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, PA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

We had an absolutely perfect 5-night stay at the Harmony Hotel in March 2009. There were no water problems while we were there. The landscaping was alive and well despite being at the end of the dry season, and friendly maintenance staff were everywhere keeping it that way. Reading some other recent reviews, I had to double check that they were referring to the same hotel. The lighting in the rooms and the sheets were fine. The food and the service in the restaurant was outstanding. The bartenders were really nice and funny. And I had a fantastic massage.

Key amenities for surfers: proximity to the beach, 24-hour guarded surf board storage, and a guy who keeps flip flops safe on the beach. I don't think any other hotel in Playa Guiones has those features.

We had a switch rooms twice due to availability (we booked really late), so I got to see 3 types of rooms. We loved the Cocos rooms (least expensive) because of the totally private large back deck with shower and hammock. We did not like the duplex bungalow because we could hear everything that happened on the other half of the bungalow (more a result of loud neighbors than anything else). We absolutely loved the stand-alone bungalow and will stay in one again when we return. Everyone that works there was so friendly. They handled our room switching beautifully and without much effort on our part.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Woods Hole, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2009

Harmony markets itself as a newage, 'sustainable', upscale hotel. Unfortunately while we there they ran out of water every night. This means no shower and no using the toilet. The front desk could only say it would be fixed in the morning since no one was around in the evening. Requests to have the manager contact us went ignored. You can market yourself anyway you want, but if you cannot provide basics like water, showers and working toilets you should not be charging $190 to $275 a night. We stayed all over Costa Rica and the Harmony Hotel was clearly the low point of the trip.

At check out the manager did agree to give us a 50% discount, but I had to really push to even get to talk to anyone about it. She explained that they had a leak. But it had been going on for several weeks and would take weeks to fix.

Poor service. The place could be nice, but there is a problem with management. I would avoid Harmony.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
harmonyNosara, General Manager at Harmony Hotel Nosara, responded to this review, March 24, 2009
Dear Alexzen,

We appreciate your comments and understand your frustration.

As I explained at your check out time, the water shortage that we have been
experiencing has been a huge and difficult challenge and is by no means the kind of service that we normally provide our guests with. Being at a remote location in the driest region in Costa Rica, water is limited and precious, and we have been working nonstop to solve the problem at an urgent rate.
Like I mentioned before and at your check out time, we understand and sympathize for the inconveniences during your stay and that is why I even offered to comp your whole stay, in an effort to make sure that you left our
hotel feeling fairly compensated. To this offer you replied that was not necessary since other aspects of your stay had been positive, not only this time but also on your previous stays with us.

Once again, I apologize for the inconveniences during your stay. I am glad
to say that since your checkout, we have been able to solve the water situation 100%
and have not experienced further problems.
I hope you will give us another chance in the future to give you the Harmony experience that you deserve and that we constantly strive for.

Best regards,

Andrea Miranda
The Harmony Hotel
boston, MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2009

I happen to stay at harmony at the same time period of the post below. Some of the points below are true, such as the need for more lighting inside the room and better bathroom fixtures. But overall, it is a very charming experience. It is not going to be a cookie cutter Marriott or Westin, and it shouldn’t be decorated like them. And how many Marriott and Westin have your own back yard with your own hammock and rain shower? And the Red Flower bath products are lovely! The room provides all the creature comfort one would need for a nice relaxing vacation.

And the dog situation. I did see a couple dogs lounging around the hotel at one point of time of other, but it was definitely not as much an issue as what the post below sated. At least I didn’t notice and dog poop and I had spent enough a lot time in the hotel grounds so if there was any, I should have noticed.

The restaurant and juice bar are EXCELLENT. If you are in Nosara area, you should pay them a visit even if you don’t stay at Harmony. The staffs are all very nice and are trying their best to help the guests.

About the price of the hotel. I wouldn’t say it is a great bargain, but you do get what your money’s worth. And I do also wonder what entitles Four Seasons Costa Rica to charge $815 for their lowest level of room. Could it be it is not at the end of a dirt road, new sheets, and more lights inside room, nicer bathroom, meticulously maintained ground, no dogs or the golf course? Some one would really need to explain that to me..

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Harmony Hotel Nosara? Share your experiences!