“Great instruction, great fun, great people and great accommodations it doesn't get any better!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Simply

You added Surf Simply to your Saves list
Surf Simply
Playa Guiones, Nosara, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
SBY, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

This kind of trip is usually over the top for me, but I was drawn to Innocent's approach to teaching surfing. I couldn't find anything comparable and when I got there they more than lived up to my expectations. Surfing everyday with quality instructors that are passionate about what they do and how they teach was very rewarding! On top of that the room, pool and food was outstanding, did I mention the food was outstanding! I also, recommend taking yoga. A great way to say ready for the next surf and Jess is a great instructor!! I truly felt like I got more than my moneys worth! I would definitely go again. Ru, Gem, Becky, Al, Sam and Harry are the best host and instructors you could want. They make it hard to leave!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

Had the great opportunity to take a surf lesson with Ru on my recent visit to Nosara. If you really want to learn how to surf, Innocent is awesome! They don't just push you into waves and tell you you're surfing. They really teach you, step by step, how to make it from newbie to riding the green waves! I can't wait to get back to Nosara so I can take a week of classes with them!

nycsar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2010

I just returned from my second trip to Nosara Costa Rica for surf lessons with Innocent Surf School. Last year I loved the lessons with Innocent so much, I couldn't wait to go back for more, but this time, staying in their new accomodations just exceeded any expectation. The rooms are lovely and comfortable, the pool area and grounds are gorgeous and tranquil, and the food is outstanding! It is so delicious and fresh and beautifully presented, its like dining at a 5 star restaurant. The lessons are fantastic, all the instructors are super encouraging and teach so well. No matter what your level/ability you have fun and learn so much. Plus there are so many amenities, if you want to do other non surf activities they are arranged for you, there are bikes available to go and check out the town, etc. You get the chance to go to some amazing local restaurants. Also if there are any special needs/requests, ie special food diets they are so so accomodating. We went to celebrate a friend's birthday and even a little birthday surprise cake/party was arranged. I can't say enough nice things about every person who works there and the entire experience. Highly recommend checking it out!

Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2010

My brother and I (26 & 28) stayed at Innocent Surf Resort from March 6-13 2010. We had only surfed once before deciding to book the trip, but we heard great things about Nosara, Costa Rica and quickly became confident in the program after visiting their website and reading so many great reviews of their surf school on Trip Advisor. Ru's podcasts gave us a sneak peak of how knowledgeable the staff was about surfing and how much energy they were willing to put into helping us improve. All of expectations were exceeded and we had a fantastic time learning how to surf, and hanging out with Ru, Gem, Becky, Harry, Alex, and Sam. I really can't imagine a more fun and positive experience!

Surf:
We chose Innocent because we figured, that if we wanted to go to Costa Rica to learn to surf we wanted to go all out. We knew Innocent would give us the most instruction we could get in one week (two surf sessions a day, plus classroom-style video instruction). Ru, former coach of the British national youth surf team, supervises all of the instruction for the week. He's super-upbeat, friendly, and loves surfing more than anything in the world. Ru leads most of the pre-surf discussions. He also videotapes the surf sessions and breaks down your performance on the waves. Harry, Alex and Sam are the instructors that will do most of the teaching on the beach and in the water. They're all intelligent, hilarious and fun to be around. They provide you with the perfect environment to learn to surf to improve your skills. The beach is very consistent and good for both beginners and more advanced surfers, and the instructors will make sure you're out there with the waves that suit your experience level. It's also more beautiful than it looks in pictures!

Accommodations:
Each chalet had two bedrooms, a kitchenette, a bathroom w/ shower, a small living room, and a porch area. The bedrooms had fans and air conditioners and were very comfortable. The grounds at the resort aren't terribly large, but the pool is priceless. The water is both refreshing and comfortably warm, and there are spots where you can sit and sunbathe happily without completely submerging yourself in the water. Surf movies play all day by the dinner table, and there's lawn chairs and a comfortable couch/lounge area.

Food:
Gemma, a successful cook and restauranteur in England, did an amazing job preparing all of our meals. Each meal was unique and delicious. They featured the freshest organic meat and produce available. Gem often supplemented the meals with wonderful freshly-squeezed smoothies, and topped them off with artful deserts. She was great about preparing meals for people with special dietary restrictions. Half of the nights the staff took us out for dinner at local restaurants, all of which had their own personalities. Some had bonfires, some had great views, and others featured live music, but all were delicious. One of the plusses of the all-inclusive experience was that it was great to not have to worry about where to go, and what to eat every day.

Extras:
On Wednesday the guests have the day to do whatever they want and eat wherever they want. When you book the trip you can choose an activity for that day (we all chose the Canopy Tour), and if you decided to include a massage in your trip instead of doing yoga, the massage would also be on Wednesday. I chose to have a massage with Jessi at Buddha Massage. It was very relaxing and she was fantastic. The MissSky Canopy Tour (definitely a uniquely Costa Rican experience) was fun, but because it was so hot it felt a little bit long. It was more of a series of zip-line rides high over the mountain range. It really wasn't a guided tour of the plant/wild life.

Here's why you should go to Innocent Surf School:
-they'll teach you the right way to surf / they'll make you a better surfer
-the staff gives you the personalized attention that you've probably never gotten at any other hotel or resort
-the rooms are comfortable and the food is great
-the staff is a ton of fun to be around, and overall the experience is fantastic!

Calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2010

Was at the Innocent surf camp/resort from March 6 to 13th - absolutely loved it!! Ru, Gem, Becky, Sam, Al and Harry are wonderful hosts and teachers, all are friendly, funny and professional. Their passion for surfing, and their joie de vivre in general are obvious and infectious. Our group included solo travelers and those who came together, male and female, with a variety of ages, and, thanks to the charm of the Innocent team, we all felt welcomed and comfortable together immediately.
All surf instructors are excellent surfers who have many years of experience as teachers as well. I very much appreciated the enthusiastic, patient, positive and specific feedback I received in every lesson. Some of us were complete beginners, others were more experienced, and the instruction was targeted to each person´s level of ability. I felt challenged, but never un-safe. Really, it´s difficult to imagine more knowledgeable or in any way better instructors.
The surf resort/camp experience was terrific: I really enjoyed staying there with all other students and having lessons twice a day. It was very organized and professional in every respect, while also being great fun. The food was wonderful, a treat for the palette and the eye. The common pool, lounge and dining areas are swanky and conduciive to chilling out, chatting and laughing after lessons - the pool in particular is epic, especially on a hot afternoon.
The accomodations are also very nice. I shared a cabin with a friend (1 bedroom each), which was perfect. (Note: if going solo, I'd recommend paying extra if you can to have a room to yourself, as the twin rooms are a bit cozy to share with a stranger for a full week.) The beach, Playa Guiones, is absolutely gorgeous, not crowded at all, and with stunning sunsets nearly every night. I opted for the yoga lessons, which were also wonderful; Jessie is a great teacher. We did sunset yoga on the beach one evening, so beautiful.
Before I´d booked, I´d thought the price was a bit high, but now I think it is excellent value for what you receive (and because I´ve realized that Costa Rica in general is not an inexpensive place to travel; prices for food and many other items are similar to those in Canada or the US).
I´d definitely recommend Innocent Surf School to anyone wanting to learn to surf, or advance their surfing skills, while having a really fun and unique vacation experience!!

Boston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2010

The best money can buy. World class surf coaching, comfy accomodations, the best pool in Nosara and lovely lovely people. Your search is over. I am so happy to have found Innocent Surf School!

Vancouver Island, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2010

I can't imagine a better place to take lessons, regardless of your experince level, or a better group of people to learn from. This is a small operation; a group of dedicated, patient, skilled, and fun professionals who operate this business on what may be the best teaching-beach on the planet.

As a guy who showed up with no experience (none!), I could not have been more impressed with my experience over the course of three lessons... or more impressed with what I saw in terms of how this staff worked with others of various levels (from small kids, to absolute beginners like me, to more accomplished floks who'd clearly done this before). From the start, you know you're in good hands, and you just know you're in for a great experience.

C. Hope (NYC)

Been to Surf Simply? Share your experiences!