“These guys are the best teachers!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Surf Simply

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Surf Simply
Playa Guiones, Nosara, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty lodging in Nosara
DesMoines
“These guys are the best teachers!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Our group took 5 days of 2 lessons per day. This was intense, but forced us to really get into the groove of surfing. Our instructors were great, and very enthusiastic. The methods/techniques used were very effective. We will definately go back again to this very relaxed atmosphere...

275 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

My aspiration in life is to learn to surf, and I finally found a surf school, Innocent Surf School, that is methodically and intelligently teaching me the foundation of surfing. The bonus is I had so much fun in the process.

In summary, I highly recommend Innocent Surf School and they're simply the BEST!

I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places to try to learn to surf. I've taken surf lessons at surf schools in Hawaii, Mexico, Mal Pais (Costa Rica) and Orange County (California). Unfortunately, none of those schools taught me any lasting skills that I could apply the minute after I left their beaches. There are three things in common among all these ineffective schools: (1) The people they hire to teach are not teachers -- they're surf bums who are trying to make money to continue to be surf bums, (2) They are trying to run as many students through the courses to maximize revenue, and (3) Surf coaching is not their passion.

The opposite is true at Innocent.

At Innocent Surf School, the proprietors and the surf coaches that they hire are, first-and-foremost, intelligent, professional and capable. The fact they are stoked about surfing has simply allowed them to combine their abilities with their passion. They are NOT "surf bums". Instead, they are best described as "surf geeks". And just like any geeks, they obsess over the mechanics of surfing. They spend hours thinking/brainstorming/discussing how they can teach aspiring surfers or accomplished surfers how to understand, learn, practice and improve those mechanics.

If you're reading Innocent Surf School's reviews, then you're daydreaming or planning a trip to Costa Rica to learn to surf. I can empathize that this is a big investment. So, what should you anticipate if you decide to travel to Nosara and take lessons from Innocent Surf School?

You should anticipate three things:
(1) Methodical approach to teaching where they will explain the theories in clear ways,
(2) Regardless of your level (beginner to ripper), they will tailor the lessons and you will significantly improve,
(3) You will be safe, and
(4) You're going to love them as human beings.

The proof is in the pudding:

If you want to see an example of their "geekiness" - go their blog and watch their coaching videos at http://www.innocentsurfschool.com/blog/

If you want to ask what their past students think about them, go to http://www.facebook.com/innocent Ask the students yourself for their thoughts.

Hope this helped!

innocentgem, Owner at Surf Simply, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Thanks for taking the time to write such a thoughtful review. Feedback like this really means a lot to us. I always forward the TripAdvisor reviews to all the team and this one in particular caused big smiles all round.
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

As a repeat customer of Innocent Surf School, I can say that every member of their organization--their surf instructors, as well as those who manage store operations--are simply delightful people love what they're doing, and it shows. They have a technical yet fun approach to teaching the skill of surfing, and they structure and pace the lessons according to the skill and experience (or lack thereof) of each student. I've also observed that they do a nice job of making everyone feel good about their own performance each day. Their video instruction has been particularly helpful to me in determining what adjustments I needed to make next time out in the water. For those who might be a bit nervous about getting in the water in the first place, it should be of comfort to know that each instructor is also a certified life guard. I have nothing but good things to say about Innocent Surf School. I hope to return again to enjoy the expanded services they will be providing in their all-inclusive surf camp that is opening in March 2010.

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2010

I took part in a 5 day yoga and surf retreat in Nosara in mid January 2010 and had the pleasure of receiving 5 awesome 2 hour lessons with Innocent. I can't say enough about these folks - excellent instruction, great personalities and totally professional. Alex and Harry were such fun to hang out with and also instilled in all members of our group a great love of the sport they have obviously dedicated so much of their life to. I would recommend Innocent to absolutely anyone and truly hope that I get an opportunity to receive their instruction again in the near future.

New Haven, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2010

Innocent Surf School came highly recommended to us when we were in Nosara. I took a lesson the day before we were leaving Costa Rica - next time I will take a lesson every day. I was amazed at what we packed into one lesson. Harry was our surf instructor - he was excellent. I didn't think it would be possible to stand on a surf board and ride a wave in after one lesson - BUT WE DID! Becky in the shop was incredibly helpful and friendly as were the other instructors.

New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2010

Nobody does it better! Surfing is fun, especially with these guys. The break conditions in Nosara, teaching style of the Innocent instructors, and serious curriculum that breaks down all the levels of understanding what this sport is about and ensures standing, carving, and blissful wave riding. Each day was a measured advancement. You do not want to visit Nosara and miss being a part of the Innocent community - they are dialing varsity fun for all ages.

honisayrelax
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2010

They seem to be in a good mood all the time at innocent. if you learn in a kind of mathematical way this is the right place for you.

Been to Surf Simply? Share your experiences!