My aspiration in life is to learn to surf, and I finally found a surf school, Innocent Surf School, that is methodically and intelligently teaching me the foundation of surfing. The bonus is I had so much fun in the process.
In summary, I highly recommend Innocent Surf School and they're simply the BEST!
I've been fortunate enough to have travelled to many different places to try to learn to surf. I've taken surf lessons at surf schools in Hawaii, Mexico, Mal Pais (Costa Rica) and Orange County (California). Unfortunately, none of those schools taught me any lasting skills that I could apply the minute after I left their beaches. There are three things in common among all these ineffective schools: (1) The people they hire to teach are not teachers -- they're surf bums who are trying to make money to continue to be surf bums, (2) They are trying to run as many students through the courses to maximize revenue, and (3) Surf coaching is not their passion.
The opposite is true at Innocent.
At Innocent Surf School, the proprietors and the surf coaches that they hire are, first-and-foremost, intelligent, professional and capable. The fact they are stoked about surfing has simply allowed them to combine their abilities with their passion. They are NOT "surf bums". Instead, they are best described as "surf geeks". And just like any geeks, they obsess over the mechanics of surfing. They spend hours thinking/brainstorming/discussing how they can teach aspiring surfers or accomplished surfers how to understand, learn, practice and improve those mechanics.
If you're reading Innocent Surf School's reviews, then you're daydreaming or planning a trip to Costa Rica to learn to surf. I can empathize that this is a big investment. So, what should you anticipate if you decide to travel to Nosara and take lessons from Innocent Surf School?
You should anticipate three things:
(1) Methodical approach to teaching where they will explain the theories in clear ways,
(2) Regardless of your level (beginner to ripper), they will tailor the lessons and you will significantly improve,
(3) You will be safe, and
(4) You're going to love them as human beings.
The proof is in the pudding:
If you want to see an example of their "geekiness" - go their blog and watch their coaching videos at http://www.innocentsurfschool.com/blog/
If you want to ask what their past students think about them, go to http://www.facebook.com/innocent Ask the students yourself for their thoughts.
Hope this helped!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Surf Simply has broken the surf camp mold by providing coaching of a standard one would usually expect to receive in more mainstream sports. The makes of the Surf Simply podcast (available on iTunes) offer all inclusive package from their beautiful boutique surf coaching resort in Nosara, Costa Rica. You stay incorporates not only - video analysis, theory sessions on everything from board design to surf forecasting, pool training and in water coaching during your two fun surf session each day; but also transfers, accommodation, yoga classes, massage, fresh home cooked food and a variety of destinations in the evening from beach BBQs to stunning cliff top restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia and Travelocity so you can book your Surf Simply reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.