“simply awesome” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Brooklyn, New York
“simply awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

I had surfed quite a bit before, but was never consistent or confident on the board or understood why things went well one day or badly the next. And, unlike the other visitors in my group, I really struggled through much of my time in the water, but the instructors -- in my case Kerianne and Tinis -- took such an incredibly skilled, patient and personal interest in my progress that I was motivated to keep trying, an effort that paid off when everything somehow came together in an improbable and spectacular ride from out the back at the end of my stay. I also learned enough about how the board works in the water, how to read the waves and what I should be trying to do that I feel I can continue on my own at home, or wherever I might find myself. The beautiful surroundings, comfortable accommodations, warm hosting and delicious meals didn't hurt, either! If you want to learn to surf, or even just improve your game, and feel incredibly well taken care of, this is the place for you -- I'm already trying to figure out how and when I can go back, hopefully for two weeks rather than just one.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Lincoln, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2011

Amazing staff, gorgeous surf instructors, delicious food, great surfing....there is something here for everyone. After searching for a friend to join me, I opted to go by myself and shared a chalet with 2 other great women who were also traveling solo. I had never surfed before, and I was sad I had to leave the resort, but ready to book my next trip. I love surfing now, and absolutely plan to continue for the rest of my life. The town of Nosara is great, and I loved having free time everyday to explore. Nebraska is looking quite shabby now, I love Surf Simply! You can go alone or take the whole family, just go!

Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

If you're thinking about visiting Surf Simply, just do it. I'm so glad I did.
I did A LOT of research on surf camps in Mexico and Costa Rica before I decided on Surf Simply. It seemed like the perfect location and best setup for my week-long solo adventure.
I had surfed a few times before my visit, but I wasn't comfortable on my own, and I knew I still had a lot to learn. And Surf Simply was the perfect place to continue my surf journey.
The instructors are knowledgeable, warm and easy going, the accommodations are comfortable and clean, and the food is outstanding.
The town itself is small, and you can manage to get around on foot or by the bikes from Surf Simply, but you could just as easily have an amazing week without leaving Surf Simply. You spend your days surfing, practicing yoga (optional), eating healthy & satisfying breakfasts and lunches at Surf Simply, and then you venture in to town as a group for some fantastic dinners accompanied by amazing views.
I really can't say enough great things about Surf Simply and my overall experience. I felt safe and comfortable during my entire trip, and I couldn't have asked for better hosts.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

This is the first time I have ever taken surf lessons, so I can't really compare against any previous experience. However, this place really took an interest in getting me to surf, so the are the best as far as I'm concerned. I stood up by the end of day one and went out everyday thereafter. My only advice to anyone considering taking surf lessons on an upcoming trip would be to start doing some cardio at least a couple of months in advance. Surfing is one crazy workout, I would have had even more fun if I was in better shape.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2011

What I most appreciate about Surf Simply is the ability of the gang there to foster and expose a passion for surfing that I didn’t even know I had. Yes, I wanted to learn how to surf, that’s why I signed on. I wanted an athletic challenge to end my summer on a high note; that it took place on an uncrowded beach in Costa Rica (with incredibly consistent surf) made it all the better. BUT NOW, thanks to Ru and Gem with their excellent program, support crew and collection of talented and super-personable instructors, I am an obsessed surfing fanatic unable to go even a few hours without thinking about the next time I can escape for another surfing trip. Where am I going? Right back to Playa Guiones for another round with this crew. They are that good. Beware Surf Simply; you’re creating passionate and inspired surfing monsters!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Aspen, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2011

Surf Simply was the most incredible experience! I learned so much, way beyond what I expected and I had alot of fun doing something really hard. I feel like my surfing improved and each instructor had so much to offer. The food was incredible, the yoga was great and I love how they mix it up by offering stand up paddle or other activities in the middle of the week. They really gave me all the tools I need from paddling instruction, surf forecasting, board design and selection...it was so comprehensive and now I feel confident to surf anywhere by myself!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2011

Honestly, just read all of the other reviews. They're all accurate.. the staff, the facilities, the beach, the waves, the equipment, the town... They're all fantastic. Is it possible for one place to have so many great reviews and not somehow be 'gaming' TripAdvisor? Yes, it is. It's really that nice. If I have to put something here other than 'read the other reviews' I'd say that I was incredibly impressed by their teaching/coaching philosophy. The last thing I wanted was to spend a week with a bunch of surf dudes who surfed first and coached second. I'm a smart guy and 'former' athlete and I wanted someone to teach me about the water, the waves, the boards, the appropriate stance, the physics, etc. And they do...and they do it with humor and professionalism. I'll visit them again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Been to Surf Simply? Share your experiences!