“Simply Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Simply Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2011

I'm on day five of Surf Simply Withdrawal and the only thing that seems to make me feel a little bit better is scheming a plan to get back there as soon as possible!

From the moment I arrived, I felt welcomed and comfortable. Ru and Gem are wonderful hosts and consequently the vibe of the resort is friendly, positive, inclusive, safe and fun. Any anxiety I felt as a solo female traveller, with absolutely NO surfing experience, dissolved quickly. The entire Surf Simply team, and the other ten guests for that matter, were, in many many ways, wonderful.

The cabana where I slept was very comfortable (and thankfully air conditioned). The food was fresh, healthy and delicious. Throughout the day, snacks and drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) were well stocked and readily available. The restaurants we were taken to each night were also very good.

While the focus was on surfing, with two surf sessions and one theory class a day, there was also plenty of time to relax, walk to town, take the bikes out to explore etc. I also took a daily yoga class ... which was great.

The surf lessons were excellent. The instructors were patient, passionate, knowledgeable, skilled, professional, encouraging, understanding, funny and fun (and I could probably go on ...). I went into the week with zero surfing experience and came away with a great deal of knowledge and understanding on the how's and why's of surfing and am amazed at the progress I made on the waves. Actually, our group was quite varied in terms of surf experience; there were a couple of quite skilled surfers and, from what I understand, they too, benefited greatly from the lessons (which attests to the skill, flexibility and expertise of the coaches).

I wholeheartedly recommend Surf Simply and strongly feel that it is a fantastic destination for solo travellers, couples, friends and families. A huge thank you to the whole team at Surf Simply for an absolutely fantastic week. I plan to be back next March ... and imagine that my expectations will once again be exceeded.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2011

We spent 1 week at Surf Simply and loved our experience. The beach was a gorgeous 7 mile stretch of sand, rolling waves and amazing sunsets.This was our family's first time surfing and all the instructors did an amazing job keeping things simple, fun and positive. Riding down to the beach on the golf cart and the truck, with Surf Simply's dog Sausage will always bring back fun memories. Our 4 kids ages 12- 19 had a fantastic time in the waves and back at the resort lounging by the pool and comfy couch seating area. Ru and Gem have built a beautiful getaway in the jungle from the comfortable villas, porches and pool, lounge and dining area. While the waves were strong and tiring the week we were there, we had lots of time to relax, hop on the bikes into town, do yoga, enjoy great food, wine & beer and explore. On our day off we went on a great zip-line canopy adventure in the mountains. The combination of dinners out at some local restaurants and meals prepared by Sarah and Gem back at the resort was perfect. We were made to feel very welcome from the moment we were picked up at the airport and through our entire stay. We have enjoyed the photos and video that Surf Simply sent us of our holiday. Seeing them makes us want to go back!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

I am a beginner surfer (have surfed a handful of times in LA) and wanted to improve my surfing and have a relaxing vacation. After months of research I decided to stay at Surf Simply in Nosara. The lessons there were terrific and made me realize that my previous surf instructors were complete hacks. Surf Simply teaches proper technique, safety, theory and all of this makes you a better surfer and makes it that much more FUN when you do go out surfing. The instructors are great teachers, fun and cute (which doesn't hurt ;). They have activities for your day off, free bikes to get into town, and take you out to dinner so you get to see Nosara. You sign up for a week, food is included (and is delicious) for every day but Wednesday. Bring a bathing suit as Surf Simply pretty much supplies the rest!

Ulverton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2011

In Nosara, Costa Rica, you'll find this incredible surf school. If surfing is something that you want to learn, you should go there!

The learning curve is fast with 2 surf lessons per day, 1 hour of theory and 1 hour of yoga. The coaches are really great and friendly. The resort, the food, the pool are simply fanstastic!

It was so fun that we are planning to go back!!

Santa Maria, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2011

I was just tagging along on Candy’s vacation. I had no expectations of any kind. I ended up loving my first surfing experience and I can’t wait to go back to Surf Simply. We had outstanding coaches - Kerianne, Martin, Harry and Alex. Delicious food and beautiful and confortable surroundings.

Tywyn, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2011

We stayed at Surf Simply for a week in late Jan 11.

My partner and I are both beginner/intermediate surfers and were looking for a week in the sun with consistent surf and good coaching. Surf Simply seemed to fit the criteria, so we booked.

The whole experience was way better than our expectations! Ru and Gem were excellent hosts and they had carefully thought through every detail of our trip. The transfer was flexible so we had a chance to arrive a few days early in the resort to get acclimatised and we stayed on in the resort for a week after our Surf Simply week to practice what we had leant. The accommodation is comfortable and Surf Simply took care of all those small details that make everything run smoothly. For example - each room had a basket in it with suncreams, rubbing alcohol, zinc oxide cream, vaseline etc - the rancho area had a well stocked fridge of beer, wine, juice and food - and the meals on and off site were fantastic. Communication about what was going on each day was really clear and the balance between surfing and resting was spot on!

The surf coaching was outstanding. Ru has chosen and trained his staff instructors very well. You get full on personal coaching from Surf Simply, with video feedback each day. Beach management and safety were also exceptional and we always felt safe in the water even in overhead + sessions. The coaching progression that Surf Simply use was really enlightening - I wish that I'd gone to Surf Simply earlier rather than struggled with my surfing for so long! Everyone staying during our week improved greatly, and personally I had quite a few breakthroughs in terms of performance improvement.

The whole team were passionate about surfing and really went out of their way to ensure we had the best chance of learning. As we were staying on in the resort after our booked week with Surf Simply, Ru suggested that my partner held back one of her coaching days took it the following week as the conditions were forcaste to be better for her level. It was an excellent decision, and a very kind offer. Also, when we were out surfing on our own after we finished at Surf Simply, Ru and Gem (who were out surfing on their day off) paddled over to us and helped us out.

Most importantly for any trip, the people we met at Surf Simply were wonderful. I would have to say that surfers of all levels would get loads from spending a week with Ru and Gem. Also, the whole resort had a friendly, safe feel to it so if you want a family activity holiday you could book with Surf Simply without worries.

We will certainly be going back to Surf Simply!

Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I return to Surf Simply earlier this month for more instruction and hospitality... My first trip to Surf Simply was this past summer with my son and nephew. After much research, we decided on Surf Simply and glad we did. Surf Simply delivered everything they advertise and more. WAY MORE!!!. Ru and Gem have created a very special place that I would recommend to anyone wanting to learn or improve their surfing. They handled all the details and all we had to do is show up and suit up...We were surfing green waves on the second day!

The coaches are first class. The food is great...Gem and Sarah make a great team...The restaurants they took us to were a real treat...The accommodations are comfortable and cozy...Love the rancho and pool area......And the Yoga and Massage are some of the best I have experienced!

So, just book a trip and GO!!!!

Been to Surf Simply? Share your experiences!