“Yoga week in Costa Rica” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blue Spirit

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Blue Spirit
You added Blue Spirit to your Saves list
Playa Guiones, Nosara, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Nosara
Montreal, Canada
“Yoga week in Costa Rica”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

I had the pleasure of spending a week of yoga & surfing at the Blue Spirit in Costa Rica (week of nov. 23). This hotel is very nice clean & comfortable. The meals (which were all included) were very delicious & plentiful, most meals were vegan with fish 3 times a week. Although I am not a vegetarian EVER, food was so good I never missed having meat. The staff was very efficient, always in a good mood and very professional. The pool is very beautiful, the hotel is on the beach. And in Walking distance to the town Giones where you can shop, eat & site see. I am hoping to return again.

Room Tip: I stayed in the room with ocean view in the main building. I found it convenient & quiet.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Blue Spirit is an amazing place that feels like a slice of paradise. The grounds, rooms, food (vegan rejoice!) and people create a relaxing, inspired environment that will stay with me for a long time. The staff makes it seem effortless and always has a smile on their faces and can not do enough to help.

The massages were fantastic (Chantal & Kantu) :)

The yoga studio was open air so you get the fresh air, butterflies, bats (oh my) & monkey's singing.

I have never wanted to revisit the same place, however I will definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Mont Tremblant, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

This retreat resort was excellent! Thanks to Angela Burns-Perez our Letting Go Yin Yoga experience was stellar. The resort and surroundings offer lots to do other than just Yoga..
Surfing, paddle boarding, zip lining, waterfall rain forest hikes and small town shopping.
There is a range of accomodation for all budgets. I think if I went back I'd get a room with air conditioning. We stayed in an Eco cottage. Really cute but pretty far from the main building and the Yoga halls. Food was fabulous and the beach was minutes away. The massage therapists were wonderful and both Kantu and Wendy helped me get thru the week with limited discomfort from my shoulder and lower back issues. All in all a wonderful experience. Highly recommend it!

Room Tip: There are other cabin options with AC that looked perfect. We loved are stay but Costa Rica is ver...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

Blue Spirit is such an amazing, beautiful spot -- in a part of Costa Rica that is itself amazing and beautiful!

Very little of Costa Rica seems to be flat -- everything seems to be either up or down. Blue Spirit is no exception. The main building is all the way up; the beach is all the way down. My room was somewhere in between.

I stayed in a Nature Suite, and it was a large, comfortable room with air conditioning available. It had a king size bed, a small sitting room at the entry, and a well-equipped bathroom with a wonderful private outdoor shower.

It was roughly a five minute walk up to the main building or down to the beach from where I was staying. (I didn't move very fast -- apparently Easter week is the hottest week in CR and that is when we were there!)

The main building has an amazing classroom/studio that overlooks the jungle, beach and mountains; there are also accommodations, food services and a beautiful sheltered dining area in the main building. The food was primarily vegetarian and really good. (There's also a cafe with extended hours.)

Just outside is a lovely infinity pool -- the temperature perfect for a refreshing dip whenever you needed one. Chaises are arranged in shaded spots around the pool, so you could relax out of the heat and intensity of the full sun.

The beach is beautiful. It is in a more or less sheltered cove, so the waves were gentle and the water was mild. Maybe a quarter of a mile further up the coast, you could see surfers -- the beach there was less protected, and the waves appeared larger.

Howler monkeys live in the trees and nearby jungle. I did not find their calls disturbing, but for a few of the people who were staying in the eco-cottages and the tents it took a night or two before they were used to the sounds...

Some of my friends went horseback riding, and others chose to go ziplining or on a river cruise. I visited Playa Guiones once or twice with friends, but mostly I just stayed at Blue Spirit, enjoyed a massage, and explored the grounds with my camera.

The grounds are lush and beautiful. Maintaining the grounds seems to be a 24-7 operation. The grounds keepers were friendly -- and they are talented! Blue Spirit asks that tips not be given individually, but you are encouraged to provide an overall gratuity at the end -- the idea being that so many people at Blue Spirit have contributed to the quality of your experience, whether or not you actually interact with them.

There are many more wonderful things about Blue Spirit that I did not mention. I agree with the reviewer who said that if you're looking for typical resort amenities, this might not be the place for you. But if you are looking for a place to relax and rejuvenate in a place immersed in the beauty of the area, this is it!

Room Tip: The climate is very hot and very humid. Participants in the retreat from cooler climes had a hard t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

I visited Blue Spirit in February for a week-long Bellydance workshop with Rachel Brice. My boyfriend came along to enjoy the stay and didn't take classes. It was his first time out of the U.S. and my first time in Costa Rica. We were ecstatic the whole trip - it was just like a dream!

Our arrival at the airport was a little bit confusing, as there is a massive crowd of shuttle and cab drivers with signs as you exit the terminal. We had to ask someone where the Blue Spirit driver was and he pointed us in the right direction. We did end up waiting about an hour before the shuttle left due to a delayed flight that some other Blue Spirit guests were on, but that was obviously not anyone's fault!

The property is gorgeous, located on a hill overlooking the ocean. Our classes were all held in the top floor studio which overlooks the coast and is full of great natural light. It did get pretty warm in there, even with the air conditioning on, but they provided clean towels for us every day so that was a plus! They had a good sound system in the room which we appreciated.

We stayed in a Hermitage Twin room which is in the main building but does not have A/C. We were perfectly fine with the ceiling fan and there were 2 big shutters and screen doors to the balcony that we could open and still keep the screen closed. The room was just the right size (We weren't in it too much). It was funny that the shower had no door or curtain - if sharing with a roommate and not a significant other that could be uncomfortable.

The only complaint we had about the room was that we were on the side of the building where the howler monkeys often were and they started up at 3am all but one morning. Bring earplugs!

The food was fantastic - all vegetarian with a fish option for about 3 of the meals throughout the week. Breakfast was always yogurt & fruit with some other dishes like eggs, beans, potatoes, etc. Lunch and Dinner always had a fantastic salad bar with the main dish options that included tons of fresh veggies and grains. They had homemade salad dressings that were different every meal and SO good! And we discovered that they had "lizano sauce" which we put on a lot of our food. They had fresh juices to drink but they are all unsweetened so be aware of that! Nothing like the sugary drinks we get in the U.S.

My boyfriend took a surfing lesson and did the zip line tour, both of which he really enjoyed. He walked to the nearby town (about 45 minutes along the beach) and rented a surfboard later in the week for the morning to practice for $5! We both did the horseback ride which was very enjoyable but ended up being almost 3 hours long and we were very sore afterwards!

One more thing you should know - you will be climbing a lot of stairs and going up and down many hills so be prepared! It was great exercise (and being from Colorado the low-altitude definitely helped) but our knees were a bit sore.

The saltwater pool was gorgeous, the perfect temperature, and a great place to relax! The coconut drinks from the cafe were delicious - for $3 you get to drink the milk straight out of the fruit! The beach is basically empty of people and you get a very private feel. The water temperature was fantastic. They do warn you of sting rays that like the calm water so you have to shuffle your feet when walking in the ocean to stir up dirt and scare them away.

We were so sad to leave and hope to DEFINITELY return! It was an amazing adventure, so relaxing, and an overall outstanding experience!

Room Tip: Hermitage Twin rooms are open-air and have howler monkeys! Eco cottages are 400 steps down from the...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
wash dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I just got back from a week long retreat at Blue Spirit. Overall i really enjoyed my stay here. Here's more of the details:

1. The facilities are great. Everything is relatively new, including the main building. i was in a mountain view room with ac. The balcony outside actually looked into the middle of trees, did not have an over the mountain view. But the room itself is very nice, with a very large and comfy bed. We are here in end of April, and mid day is really hot - so thats when you really appreciate the ac. The mornings and evenings were quite nice, esp since the rooms have fans. Also can i just say the infinity pool with saltwater is not only gorgeous but feels AMAZING!! Since it is saltwater and not chlorinated, it feels so good against the skin, and somehow its at the perfect temperature. Its also squeaky clean and beautifully maintained.

2. Food is very good and very healthy. Its all vegetarian and super healthy. Desserts are served 3 times a week at dinner. They serve fish 2-3 times at night also. Otherwise its all vegetarian, and lot of it is delicious. The cafe has smoothies, coconut drinks and other snacks and sweets, and those are also delicious. Before coming here, i was reading Dr. Fuhrman's book on focusing on eating food that's nutritionally intense - the food at this place would make him proud!

The only place i can compare this food to is the Pura Vida yoga resort in Alajuela, Costa Rica, and i would say the food here is quite comparable to there. I would say Pura Vida's food is marginally better, and they serve fish or chicken and dessert every night, but both places are excellent. Overall your body will thank you for giving it so much delicious and heathy food every day that you stay here.

3. Service was good - we met and talked to quite a few of the staff, and they were all very friendly and helpful.

4. The location is great. You can hear the howling monkeys quite a bit during the day. Whether you hear them early in the morning depends on what type of room you signed up for - i never heard them from my room in the mornings, but i saw a few of the howling monkeys in the trees outside my balcony on one of the evenings. . Also the monkeys move in packs and do move around, so just because you hear them one morning does not mean they will be there again the next morning.
5. The beach is barely a 10 min walk downhill. But the path downhill and parts of the beach are rocky, so bring water sandals. The water is warm and wonderful. Since the beach is a designated turtle preservation, no commercial development is allowed there. so it is very much in its natural state - and often when you go for a walk, there is barely anyone else around. Its like having a private beach. But remember, this is not like a typical caribbean beach - no pure white sands or turquoise waters, no restaurants etc, but still very nice nonetheless. Playa pelada nearby is a little nicer - sandier, less rocks, and you can eat at la luna and see the beautiful sunset - but you will need a cab to get there.

6. We were there as part of a yoga/pilates retreat, and had a great time. We used all 3 yoga studios, and skyhall was always our favorite - its definitely the most spectacular yoga studio i have ever seen. The ocean view as you do the yoga poses is just hard to beat.

7. I had a massage with Chantal, which was very relaxing. I was surprised that lymphatic drainage massage was not an option at the spa, but they did have all kinds of other holistic treatments and massages available.

8. Our retreat group was very active - i spent 4-6 hours in yoga and pilates classes every day, and really lucked out because instructors in our group were amazing, and the group itself was very open and quickly came together as a small community. But the schedule really depends on what particular retreat you sign up for ( e.g. one of the other retreats there at the same time had a really small grup, and only one yoga class in the mornings). So beyond the classes, the pool and the beach, i did not have too much energy for doing the excursions or tours - and it was not my first trip to costa rica. But yes, to get around, you definitely need a car or a taxi. Two people in our group rented their own car, and were planning to drive around to other parts in costa rica after the retreat. The resort is a bit isolated - you can't just walk out of it and into hustle and bustle of a beach town - getting to guiones town is a 45 minute walk on the beach, or a 15 minute cab ride.

9. Airport pickup when i arrived was quite confusing. The person from blue spirit was not standing there with a sign. After a while, one of the other gentlemen from a local car company asked who i was looking for, and then told me the blue spirit group was hanging out at the airport cafe. so i stepped out to where the taxis are and the cafe was 2 doors down. That's where i found the others also waiting for the blue spirit shuttle. So if you see no one with a sign upon arrival, feel free to ask one of the other people at the airport waiting with signs - they are very helpful.

As for areas of improvement, i really had 2 in mind:

1. I was concerned about how often the yoga mats are cleaned. The yoga mats avl for use in the studios are actually quite nice. But we saw a small spray bottle with cleaning solution only on one day for us to use in the entire week - on other days, there was nothing around for the students to wipe down the yoga mats after use. Since there are lots of studies out there on how germs spread very easily from shared yoga mats, i was very surprised by that. I heard they do clean the mats, but I am pretty sure that does not happen after every class - because sometimes classes in the same studio can be almost back to back from one group to another. Those studios can get quite hot, so some people in our class, esp the men, were sweating profusely - its like they were leaving mini puddles on top of those mats, so i would not want to be someone who uses the same mat afterwards! There is room for improvement there - and i was really glad i brought my mat with me.

2. it would be nice if they offered some kind of basic laundry service by the pound. Every body is coming for at least a week, so having some basic laundry service would be a big plus.

By the end of the week, all of us were leaner, more toned, and clothes were getting a little looser. I ran into two people who had been there for 2 weeks, and some of their shorts were almost falling off them. This is a great place to come and revive and get into healthy eating and fitness. Overall i had a great time, and would certainly consider coming back in the future. This is a place to rejuvenate and relax and tends to attract people interested in wellness - but if you are looking for a typical four or five star hotel and the usual amenities, this is not really for you.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just got back from my blue spirit retreat and feel amazing. The combination of healthy but tasty vegetarian food, gorgeous setting and a daily regiment of yoga and pilates (special to my retreat) has refreshed me and left me ready to come back from vacation and tackle the world. Well maybe not the world but I certainly feel like I got a reset button on life. Oh and while I haven't weighed myself yet, all my pants are suddenly loose and I'm pretty sure I must have lost at least 5 pounds. I hovered between a review of 4 and 5 because there are a couple of details that I thought could have been improved like having snacks and juice available throughout the day rather then for purchase at the cafe and being able to flush toilet paper in the toilet (though to be fair it is an eco friendly resort so I'm not sure that's even possible). That said, this was one of the most special and relaxing vacations I have ever had and I couldn't recommend it more so I went with the 5 star excellent review. Really a must do retreat for anyone in need of break. I would recommend researching your retreat thoroughly though as most of your time is spent with your fellow retreat participants and doing the retreat activities. Our instructors were AMAZING but I would imagine the experience a little less special with lesser teachers. Have fun and enjoy!

Room Tip: I stayed in the nature suite and was a little scared at first when I arrived in the pouring rain as...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Been to Blue Spirit? Share your experiences!