“Best Place to take surf lessons in Nosara” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #8 of 35 activities in Nosara
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We are a full service surf shop that offers surf lessons, rental boards, adventure tours, new and used boards for sale, surf accessories, awesome beach clothes, and gift shop. We have been teaching people to surf in Nosara for more than 10 years. Our Costa Rican surf instructors are ISA certified surf coaches and are excited to teach you to surf in a safe and fun way. We offer private, group, kids, and multipole lesson packages. You can see all the positive reviews from our customers.We also have the biggest supply of quality rental boards to suit every type of surfer. Our beach location is the closest to the sand in town giving you a short walk to the waves with your board. You can also leave your board with us during your stay saving you the hassle of lugging them around town.Our number one goal is to help you have the best surf vacation in Costa Rica. We are your one stop for everything you need and want to do in town. Let us save you the hassle of planning and coordinating. It's our pleasure. Thanks for visiting our Trip Advisor Review page. We hope to see you down for a visit. Pura Vida!!
Lafayette, Colorado, United States
“Best Place to take surf lessons in Nosara”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Marq, Luigi and the guys at Coconut Harry's made our vacation in Nosara. We were not experienced surfers prior to this trip and after 2 lessons we were surfing waves I never expected I'd be surfing. The guys at Coconut Harry's had experience teaching inexperienced surfers but also exceptional skill at assessing our ability levels with very little experience with us. I was very impressed at the professionalism in the laid back environment. I would go back in a heart beat.

Toronto
6 attraction reviews
“2013 surfing goal reached -- thanks Jordan!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

As a beginner+ surfer, I had a lofty goal for 2013 -- not only get up consistently and ride waves, but ride a wave big enough (and well enough) that I could go down the line. After hearing about the great waves in Nosara, I finally made it down there this year. A friend who had been in Nosara a few months previous with her family raved about her kids' lessons with Jordan at Coconut Harrys. So my friend and I arranged a lesson with Jordan on our first day. AMAZING!!! Not only is Jordan the next incarnation of Aquaman, he is patient, passionate and incredibly personable. He walked us through the safety tips, tested us out on the beach and in the white water a few times. From there, he knew we had what it we took, so we headed out to where we could really test our skills. That very first day, I felt a comfort level in the water that I had never experienced before. And Jordan tweaked small but specific things in my technique that removed many struggles I was having in "feeling it." I had such a positive experience that chose to surf with Jordan again for the next two days. And with each wave, my confidence increased. He pushed me (insisting that I would never improve if I didn't take healthy risks), but always made sure I was ok and felt safe. And he gave me great advice that can only come from someone who is a third generation California surfer that has been ripping it up since he was two. It was my last day in Nosara and my last day surfing with Jordan. I had ridden several great waves that day, managing both lefts and rights pretty well. As we waited in the water towards the end of our lesson, Jordan's face broke into a big smile. He told me that I was going to do one last amazing ride, and the wave was rolling in perfectly. I asked if it was a left or a right (it was a left), got into position on my board, started paddling, paddled harder with Jordan's cue and popped up when I heard the familiar scream from behind me: "get up!!!" It WAS a perfect wave, and I rode it perfectly -- a big swoosh down and a perfect cut left down the line until there was no more wave to ride. I was elated, proud and thrilled at achieving my goal after three years of trying. And I could not have done it without Jordan! If you want to learn, get to that next level or have a great time in the water with someone who knows his waves, surf with Jordan. He'll have you feeling like Kelly Slater in no time!!!

Visited February 2013
NYC
“Great place to learn to surf”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

Jordan is a great instructor -- very clear and patient, always keeping it fun. When you're doing ten things wrong, he picks out the most important and focuses you on it, so you can see improvement pretty fast. It's not so easy for us older folks to learn new things, but after a few days I was up and riding real waves. (Check the pic below.) And yes, Jordan reminded me to open the shoulders to the wave right before I got on, is purely my fault for forgetting. Next time! Can't wait to get back on the board.

Iowa
3 attraction reviews
“Got up several times during first ever lesson”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

The gentleman who sits at the desk wasn't very warm, but knows what he is talking about. We got a lesson the next day after visiting the booth. The instructor we had, Jose, was wonderful! Very encouraging and helpful. I expected to spend more time on land during the 90 min lesson, but we spent most of the time in the water practicing. So glad I took the lesson, recommend it for any beginner. Great value to get a board rental for $5 the next day to practice on our own!

Greenwich, Connecticut
“We love Coconut Harry's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We were on a family vacation in Costa Rica for nearly 2 weeks and that last 8 days was spent in Playa Guones. It was the most perfect place to be and part of that reason was the wonderful staff of Coconut Harry's. Everyone there was friendly, helpful and extremely knowledgable. Jose and Luigi looked after two of our children out there in the waves. They were fantastic and we felt secure in their ability to guide and teach the children whilst protecting them in the ocean. In all honesty they truly made the trip as special as it was because they are truly special people. Next year it'll be the full 2 weeks right there with Coconut Harry's in the fold!

Visited February 2013