“Surfing lessons great, plus kayak and paddle boarding in the mangrove” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Harrys Surf Shop and Surf School

Ranked #11 of 35 Activities in Nosara
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: We are a full service surf shop that offers surf lessons, rental boards, adventure tours, new and used boards for sale, surf accessories, awesome beach clothes, and gift shop. We have been teaching people to surf in Nosara for more than 10 years. Our Costa Rican surf instructors are ISA certified surf coaches and are excited to teach you to surf in a safe and fun way. We offer private, group, kids, and multipole lesson packages. You can see all the positive reviews from our customers.We also have the biggest supply of quality rental boards to suit every type of surfer. Our beach location is the closest to the sand in town giving you a short walk to the waves with your board. You can also leave your board with us during your stay saving you the hassle of lugging them around town.Our number one goal is to help you have the best surf vacation in Costa Rica. We are your one stop for everything you need and want to do in town. Let us save you the hassle of planning and coordinating. It's our pleasure. Thanks for visiting our Trip Advisor Review page. We hope to see you down for a visit. Pura Vida!!
Ottawa, Canada
35 attraction reviews
“Surfing lessons great, plus kayak and paddle boarding in the mangrove”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

2 younger members of our party wanted to go surfing, so we ended up here to rent boards. The next day, they went back, and had a lesson with Jordan, who earned rave reviews from them. The next day, all four of us went paddle boarding and kayaking in a mangrove. This water is calm - an easy way to learn paddle boarding, and an easy kayak if you would rather sit down. You don't have to be particularly fit to enjoy the kayaks, which are very stable, with light paddles. The mangrove, with its salt water trees with their amazing networks of roots, was fascinating, even though we didn't see any crocs. We did see egrets and herons, and a black sand beach where the tour stopped for an ocean swim. There were young children as well as older people in our tour, and all did just fine. We found this tour a bit expensive ($60 each), but interesting nonetheless.
Marq Benoit, the manager, is a laid back, polite and helpful man who seems to do a bit of everything from holding the fort at the shop to real estate sales.
Coconut Harry is no longer the owner of the shop, but it appears to continue to be in great hands. Highly recommended.

Visited February 2013

new york
“excellent lessons and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

I went to Costa Rica to learn how to surf (at age 54) and was lucky enough to get Jordan at Coconut Harry's as my instructor. He was easy going, thorough, knowledgeable and fun. Easy to trust. While I didn't become an excellent surfer in three short days, I did get up on the board a few times, and that just made me want to learn more. I plan to return in a few months for a full week of lessons. Totally great place.

Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Love Coconut Harry's”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Had such great interactions with the staff at Coconut Harry's. Marc paired me perfectly with my instructor Nelson for a little refresher on surfing. Got to spend a solid 90 minutes in the water with the coolest Costa Rican dude ever (Nelson), got to surf with the man (Harry) himself, and rode waves all morning long. They instilled the confidence I needed to get back up and enjoy surfing after a scary experience in El Salvador. I cannot WAIT to get back to Nosara and surf more.

Visited February 2013
Edmonton, AB
“First time surfing made easier...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

Jose was a great instructor. I am glad for my first time surfing I went to Coconut Harry's. Set me on the right pass to success. Thanks!!

Visited January 2013
“Friendly and Convenient Surf Shop”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

My family and I were in Nosara for all of January 2013 and we rented all of our surfboards, boggie boards, and booked all of our lessons through Coconut Harry's. They were easy to work with, had an extremely convenient location, took the time to greet us every morning and learn our names, and Luigi even got my 60 year old parents up on a surfboard during their lesson. I would definitely recommend them if you're heading this way.