“Avoid this hotel” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Bella Vista Mar

You added Bella Vista Mar to your Saves list
Bella Vista Mar
3.0 of 5 Guest house   |   Playas Pelada | 300 Mtrs Oeste de la Garta Lodge, Nosara, Costa Rica   |
Ranked #6 of 16 Nosara B&B and Inns
Toronto, Canada
“Avoid this hotel”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Best thing: the view, which is magnificent beyond description.
Problems: the expat American owner was completely indifferent to us. We were made to feel that we were in the way. The young American woman 'working' there as staff (?) serving breakfast had no interest in us. There was a water problem for a day. The pool water is too warm-- not refreshing. The Wi-Fi is erratic even when next to the modem. The breakfast was only adequate-no other meals available. The road there, of several hundred metres, is a mess. Enough already...bottom line is AVOID this place.

Stayed April 2015, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Scottsdale, Arizona
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Stayed at this place for 2 days. No running water the whole time. We kept being told it was only out for a few hours and that it would be back ASAP. We could not shower. I had to haul water from the swimming pool to flush the toilet. Brushed my teeth with bottled water. No contrition, no refund. They sent the new staff members to deal with us, the people in charge hid from us. This would be a DISASTER in the making if one planned a wedding here. I left feeling unclean. It should be called "Seco Vista Mal in No-shower". We had stayed in a field station in the rainforest on the same trip, which was much more comfortable than this place.

Room Tip: Find another hotel
  • Stayed April 2015, traveled with friends
Manaleja, Owner at Bella Vista Mar, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Thank you for your review, and we can understand your displeasure. We too felt very bad about the entire situation. As was explained to your group leader (and I believe yourselves) when you arrived: Guanacaste (the province we live in) has problems with water at this time of year. The rainy season last year did not fill the reservoirs sufficiently and the rain has yet to begin this year. The two days you spent with us we worked constantly with the local ASADA to try to get more water up here. We communicated to you that we were working on it and doing everything in our power. and providing bottled water so that you had fresh water. Your rooms were cleaned with bottled water and yes, we had to flush with pool water. The day the tanks finally started to fill the people from your group who were here showered and drained them immediately, taking us back to ground zero, with no hope of more water for the rest of the group before you left.

The day after you departed the ASADA completed work on a new well and the water supply has been uninterrupted since that time. We are hopeful that this will be a step toward resolving future issues.

Your interface with staff occurred based on the hours you spent on the property. Those are the hours that they work. I was available at various times throughout the day and my door was always open. An email was sent to your group leader last night with apologies for the situation. We are a small property and work very hard to solve the problems that are within our control - and work with outside sources to solve those that result elsewhere. Costa Rica is still a developing country with issues in many areas and sometimes there is nothing more we can do.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This was out first trip to Costa Rica, and we chose to spend three of our nights at Bella Vista Mar. It was a very good choice. Alexa was a very gracious host. Our room was simple, but efficient. I mean, if you are at the beach, are you really spending your time in your hotel room? Of course not! The view from our balcony/porch was amazing, and the pool was sizable and well maintained.

Restaurants, the beaches, etc. were all very accessible. We chose to drive to each location do the heat of the day, but it is certainly walkable if you wished to do so. Breakfast was provided each morning, which was a nice touch. It was fresh and delicious. I had the banana pancakes each morning, but you could have chosen among other egg and typical CR breakfast choices.

I was very pleased with our choice and would recommend a stay at Bella Vista Mar.

• Stayed March 2015, traveled with friends
Grande Prairie, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2015

As a first time traveler, not knowing where to go or where to stay, Bella Vista Mar was my reward. Beautiful, peaceful, I felt the most relaxed than I have in years.
The house, rooms are wonderful, the pool area magnificent. Alexa and her staff were most kind and helpful. Breakfast was a treat that started my day with a smile. I would recommend Bella Vista Mar to any traveler and I absolutely will return. I will rent a vehicle the next time to get about and explore the area. This was a true vacation thanks to Bella Vista Mar.

Steve B Alberta Canada Feb. 2015

• Stayed February 2015, traveled solo
Manaleja, Owner at Bella Vista Mar, responded to this review, March 10, 2015
Thanks Steve! We enjoyed having you here with us this season, and hope that you take a little of that relaxation and sunshine back into your hectic job in Canada! See you again next year!
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2015

We spent an entire week at Bella Vista Mar on a yoga retreat. This is a peaceful, quiet, relaxing and beautiful spot to recharge and reconnect. The whole B and B is charming, very clean and extremely safe. There is an amazing view of the ocean that is unbelievable. Sip your morning beverage and take in the beautiful view. Being up and away from the lower town has real advantages such as less dust, distraction and amazing evening breezes.

Alexa is amazingly kind and helpful. She supported us with advice on the areas beaches, organizing taxi's to the airport, making restaurant reservation and changing money. She even went out of her way to pick up a bottle of my favorite hot sauce at the market. Her staff is kind and courteous and word hard to ensure that everything runs smoothly. I never locked my passport, wallet, cash or any valuables. I felt extremely safe at this little oasis.

The food and menu were tailored for our retreat. The selection of raw and vegan meals were outstanding and left me wanting more. Produce was all purchased at the organic market held in town on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The fish that we did eat was unbelievable and caught by locals in the am.

It is a bit of a walk to the beach (12 min) and the roads are dusty. I would recommend Keens, Tevas or some good hiking/ walking shoes. The closest beach is so perfect, secluded and absolutely beautiful. I loved the walk and looking at lizards, monkeys, birds, flowers, trees etc. Gives you a little of the real experience. On the beach is also Olga's beach bar and restaurant is cute and a great place to grab lunch or a drink. A highlight would be LaLuna restaurant and watching the sunset. Amazing food, place and space.

I had an excellent experience and Alexa is accommodating and helpful. Beautiful Bella Vista Mar will always have a special little place in my heart.

• Stayed February 2015, traveled with friends
Manaleja, Owner at Bella Vista Mar, responded to this review, February 27, 2015
Thank you for your kind words. It was great to have the whole group here for a week of yoga and relaxation! So nice to know you enjoyed it all! Hope to see you again!
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2015

Maybe it isn't fair we had just stayed at a wonderful B&B the night before and when we came to Bella vista Mar we noticed that it was a little worn around the edges. The proprietress was a little too hungry for the tourist dollar. I didn't like that she had an extra fee for an additional person in the room, were were a couple!

• Stayed January 2015, traveled as a couple
Alexa130, Owner at Bella Vista Mar, responded to this review, February 12, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write your review, and I am sorry that you were disappointed in your stay. While we are not a brand new facility, we keep the property clean and in repair. The comment about the room charges are a bit confusing. Our rates are clearly posted on all sites and it is common hospitality practice for a single person staying in a room to have a lesser price than a double. Our prices are extremely fair and you are served a full breakfast of your choice which is made to order each morning - at no additional charge.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2015

With such nice views, a relaxing atmosphere, wonderful pool, and delicious breakfast it's a shame that we immediately regretted our decision to stay there within the first hour. The whole time there we felt unwelcome, like we were walking on egg shells, and that we had done something to inconvience the owner. We were mistreated by other guests (not our fault, not the owners fault either), but we also heard the owner talk poorly about other guests in front of us, and we heard her talking poorly about us when we weren't around. I was with a group of 7 well behaved, respectful, women - yes we laughed a lot, but we were on vacation! The latest we went to bed was by 11 pm, and still got in trouble for being "too loud", while we laid in bed talking quietly. Our toilet did not work from the start, and I promtly let the owner know; this problem was NEVER addressed during our two night stay. My friend and I who were sharing the same room had to use our other friends toilet the whole time. Every interaction with her was very rude, short tempered and passive aggressive. When the phones and Internet went out on the 2nd and 3rd day, we were SOL as far as communications and the owner was not accomating at all and even lied to us about the phones still not working- when we had just heard her get off of a phone call - twice! Either she is in the wrong line of business, or we did something to piss her off (which we are still unaware of) but all 7 of us in the group felt this way and unfortunately we would pick another place to stay if we ever return to Nosara. Like everyone else said - it's a beautiful, relaxing place, and Nosara is beautiful, yet has unkempt roads and can be hard to get from place to place.

• Stayed January 2015
Manaleja, Owner at Bella Vista Mar, responded to this review, February 23, 2015
Thank you for review. Always, there are many facets to comments like these. Let me try to address them for you. First, the phone situation. We were without phone and internet for a total of 4 days - part of that time while you were here. You are correct - you heard me on the phone because I continue to do business via my cell phone when our normal services go out. This also applies to the internet when I use my hotspot to maintain contact. There is no reason for me to deny guests use of the phone or internet - and as you know - every other person here was in the same boat. It is part of living and traveling in a developing country.

The facts of your stay: there was a couple here - unfortunately staying across the hall from you - who were very ill. I was fully aware of their comments to you about the noise from your group because he complained many times to me about you. And, I overheard his comments that were addressed to one of the members of your group over breakfast. The person to whom the comments were addressed was respectful and I later told her I appreciated the way she handled the situation, because they had been very difficult due to their illness. It was a very trying situation for everyone involved. In situations like this all that can be done is to try to listen and do the best I can for everyone. At the end of their stay they did apologize for being angry/rude with your group, however, by then you were gone.

I apologize for the toilet situation. When you reported it we sent the maintenance person to fix it. If it was still a problem you should have said something again. We can only respond when we know of the problem.

Since I did not sleep on premise the two nights there were problems with the noise, I cannot comment on what happened after I left for the evening. Prior to leaving I do recall asking you to keep it down when your group was doing shots in the kitchen and it was getting close to 10PM since the rest of the guests were already in for the night.

Our B&B is best suited for people who are looking for a tranquil spot to relax and restore during their vacation, and that is the kind of atmosphere we promote.

Been to Bella Vista Mar? Share your experiences!