“Great experience!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nosara Retreat

You added Nosara Retreat to your Saves list
Nosara Retreat
100 Mtrs South of Boca Nosara | Playa Pelada, Nosara 50206, Costa Rica (Formerly Nosara B&B Retreat)   |
Ranked #3 of 15 Nosara B&B and Inns
Lehighton, Pennsylvania
“Great experience!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

I spent 2 days of my vacation at Nosara B&B. Next time I will spend a week. Deborah and her staff are wonderful. They made me feel welcome without being overbearing. I was looking for a place to get away from work and think about what I would like to do next with my life. This retreat was perfect.

The property is beautiful. Many different flowers and unusual plants. Lots of wildlife. Monkeys and iguanas all over. The howler monkeys are great to watch. I saw a few very young ones. I was amazed they were so agile. They tend to call to each other early in the morning and the first time you hear their call you may be a little alarmed. I also had the opportunity to see many birds. The facilities are a little basic but I was not uncomfortable at all.

The beach was close by and I felt like I had it all to myself most of the time. Very relaxing.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
San Jose, Costa Rica
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

The Deborah is a great hostess and will make you feel like at home. It is certainly a rustic place and beautifully fulled with all those plants and trees. It was great to hear the birds in the morning when you wake up!
It is hard ot find a where to stay close to the beach in Playa Pelada. It depends on what you look for, a busy place filled with party people or just a place close to the beach where you can just relax and enjoy the nature. BTW there is a good pizzeria close by, you should try it!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
new york
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

For me, this was the most "rustic" place I have ever stayed. Some people might laugh but I am not a camper type. There is no luxury here and yet is so luxurious to wake up every morning listening to birds and monkeys in the middle of the jungle and then to throw on your flip flops and take a quiet 5 minute stroll over to a might as well be private beach. The grounds are spectacular and immaculately kept. I was here for a retreat and so I got to use the yoga space which is exquisite and I ate daily in the kitchen/eating area at the big family style table. The people who work here and the owner, are lovely caring people. I didn't rate it 5 stars only because I guess I am used to newer looking sheets and bedding and the curtains in my room were sheer so I felt a little exposed (which was crazy because no one was around really!) But I definitely recommend and I would be back for sure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Hey!
This is long due, but I kind of forgot (like you do when the experience is good) - holiday in Feb 2011 (not 2012, but the system didn't let me choose)
I was on a holiday in CR on my own to have a little quiet time and searched out this place. There was one negative review, but in general all others were positive, so I had a lot of faith and do not regret at all!
I must say that it is much easier to get to when you are on your way with your own vehicle, but it wasn't too hard on my own too. I got off the bus on the spot that you are told about and then went left uphill (!!!! remember this with a back-back: it's was the hardest, and perhaps most disappointing bit of it all) for about 15-20 minutes and wondered a bit if I'm on the right track, and then there it was!
Everyone who worked around and with the place was really friendly, my room was nice and quiet, there were facilities for basic juicemaking, water...hanging clothes, whatever!
The living quarters are 5 min from the beach on foot, which means that you are under the trees and if you want to read a book by the room in a hammock - great and not dying of heat!
The beach was quiet all day, most there was about 20 people..but on the other side...Really nice if you want to get away from the crowds.
Little walk away (the easiest by the beach I found, and became fond of) is the center of Nosara and some places to have meals, buy groceries. There are some nice places to eat, some basic places... Some really interested, like the one by the mouth of the river...or the hotel up on the cliff where you have to book because it's full all the time!

The owners can hook you up with people who do horseback tours - I loved the chance to gallop by the ocean!!! The american lady who owns those horses even took me to the strip of beach that noone goes to - with black sand! Wonderful!!!

If you like a lot of specific food, buy it before you get to Nosara. You'll be situated by the far end of it, which is really wonderful if you are looking for a place away from tourists, but a little bit of a drag if you want to have people around you, parties etc.. (which is not too far, the backpackers stay in the center and on the other beach are loads of surfers - 20 min walk on the seafront)

Nosara is nowhere as busy as Samara...so it depends what you are looking for. I'd say it is a great place for a getaway. And Nosara Retreat is a wonderful place to be for a getaway.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

We stayed at the Treehouse for 3 nights and greatly enjoyed it! The walk to the beach is 5 minutes, Playa Guiones (main swimming/surfing beach) is a 5 minute drive. We really enjoyed reading in the hammocks and doing a horseback riding tour set-up through the B&B!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CT
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

Nosara B & B is comfortably nestled in a beautiful, lush, tropical jungle-like setting. Awaken
to the sounds of the howling monkeys, walk to a beautiful, private beach, admire the carefully
tended vegetation and enjoy wonderful hospitality.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2012

Nosara B&B is an experience like no other, yet I felt incredibly at home. The natural jungle landscape is extraordinary, the accommodations simple, tidy and comfortable. The owner and hostess, Deborah has a warm, familiar disposition; she was approachable and resourceful throughout my stay. The property is "green" and low-tech, so you can't be overly reliant on checking emails or using the internet, although there is access, it isn't one hundred percent available when you need it. Your time would be better spent catching a glimpse of the Howler Monkeys which frequent the property's tree tops anyway. Visitor's should be aware that Jungle living is quite different, (in too many ways to mention here) so simply be open, don't be in a hurry, and to watch the sunset on the beach as much as possible; it's a magical place!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Nosara Retreat? Share your experiences!