“Heaven on earth!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 35 activities in Nosara
Type: Sports Camps/ Clinics
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Safari Surf School is the premier surf school and surf camp in Costa Rica. In addition to instilling a passion for surfing, you'll also be immersed in native culture and treated to local style. Being taught to surf by true professionals with a "Pura Vida" attitude is the only way to go! Listed on National Geographic's top outfitters on Earth. Check us out.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Denver, Colorado
“Heaven on earth!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012

My husband and I, along with our 2 kids (ages 3 and 7) just spent 3 weeks in Nosara. Casa Tucan was at the heart of what made our time in Costa Rica one of the great highlights of our lives. A few quick (I’ll try to be brief…I could go on and on! ☺) reasons I think it was such fun:

The staff at Casa Tucan is a rather extraordinary crew. I mean all of them…the owners, service staff, management, and surf instructors never failed to amaze us with their attentiveness, kindness, and care for our family. The on-site restaurant became such a family favorite (it quickly became a home away from home for our kids, we think), that we only went out to dinner one other evening the entire three weeks we were in Nosara! ☺ Featuring delightfully delicious foods and a creative menu, Casa Tucan offers daily, fresh-caught, seafood specials, pizza, drinks crafted from locally-produced ingredients, and sooooooooo much more! ☺, all served with love in their open-air restaurant, just a few steps away from the palm-surrounded pool. All of this has created a fun and unique vibe that draws locals and vacationers alike.

The location is spectacular – right in the “sweet spot” in Nosara and Guiones Beach, in terms of proximity to the beach and surfing, to the quaint and lovely restaurants, cafes, and shops on a dirt-paved stretch of “downtown”, to a top-notch massage locale across the street, and to several spectacular yoga centers.

Don’t miss:
1. Surfing! Guiones Beach is an amazing beach break… perfect for all levels from beginner surfers and kids to those who want to go “outside”, for the fun, often powerful wave sets that will be sure to make a life-long surfer smile. Investing in heading out with one of Casa Tucan’s Safari Surf School’s surf instructor’s will make your experience all the better!
2. Cafe Paris for chocolate croissants.
3. Robin’s Café for just about anything! Be sure to try her home-made ice-cream and sorbets served in the best waffle cones ever!
4. Tica Massage (located across the street from Casa Tucan). Never before a “massage person”, their 30-minute “surfer massage” was a highlight of my husband’s.
5. La Luna Restaurant at sunset. Located just 15 minutes from Casa Tucan on a lovely little beach called Playa Pelada, we dined and enjoyed one of our favorite meals ever!

Austin, Texas
“Great”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I spent 10 days at Casa Tucan and the experience was incredible. It was my first time in costa rica and my first time surfing. Everything and everyone made this initiation amazing.
The place, nosara is a pure jewel, people there are  just so nice and the human experience is surpassing anything I experienced before.
Although it was supposed to be the beginning of raining season, I did not see any drop of rain for 10 days, allowing to do many other activities such as water falls, zip line ( strongly recommended ) or just visiting the area.

Staff and people at Casa Tucan were just great, the connection was made right away for a lot of fun. Staff is very pro and so kind . Food is delicious and room are clean and comfortable enough .

Surfing is of course known to be very good , especially for beginner like me. Instructors all great and while different ( good thing to learn) , they are all excellent teachers, taking you step by step to a level where you can actually enjoy surfing and not being frustrating ( cause it is still a hard sport to master!) . Thumbs up to all.

Side note : I had the chance to meet Tim, Marci And Tyler, owners of Casa Tucan . Amazing  people, just too bad they are not down-there year long !

Definitely need to go back and will.

Go and you will have a blast guaranteed

Glendale, California
3 attraction reviews
“Surf Class”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Nico is a great instructor. Had a couple of lessons before this and still learned techniques from him. We pretty much had a private lesson with him.

Oceanside, California
“Simply Perfect!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

I recently visited Nosara for the first time. I had been in Costa Rica before but hadn't had the pleasure to visit this hidden paradise.
Not only is the town of Nosara beautiful we had the luck to stay and share our time there with Safari Surf School. Their location could not be more perfect, a short and wonderful walk to the beach surrounded by lush and refreshing trees.
I was there with a group of professional female surfers who were happily surprised to find a huge beach break with fun and workable waves. Guiones provides training grounds for every type of surfer at all levels.
But I must say that one of the most wonderful aspects about Safari Surf School is the quality of the people that make sure everything works and runs perfectly. From the owner Tim and his family, to instructors like Tinis, their cook John 9whom spoiled us with wonderful dishes every day), Alicia who was always making sure we had everything we needed, it was just an unreal experience, relaxing, exiting and pure bliss.
If you have the pleasure of going ask for karaoke night!

Visited June 2012
New York, New York, United States
“Perfect location+perfect vibe=great surfing experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2012

Surf Safari gave us the best Costa Rica surfing vacation I've ever had (of the six times I've been there). They have great staff and a laid back vibe that provides everything you want and more, without any pressure and they accommodate your budget and needs. They gave us semi-private lessons for very reasonable rates and my two friends, who had never surfed before, were up in their first try: excellent teaching. The staff is very helpful and very laid back and our trip exceeded all our expectations.