“Ok Na!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of NorMi2's Beachfront Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in San Juan
NorMi2's Beachfront Resort
You added NorMi2's Beachfront Resort to your Saves list
9-10 Seaside | Taboc, San Juan, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in San Juan
Baguio, Philippines
“Ok Na!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I have read the reviews at trip advisor before I stayed at Normie2s.
I went there because I was looking for accommodation for the future, so the only way to find out was to stay there.
The 'free internet' still doesn't work at all. Its there, but doesn't connect.
The cable tv with 'maraming' channels is still the same 12 months later. 5 channels only, 1X cinemax/ not clear enough to read the subtitles, and 4 fuzzy Filipino channels.
After the reviews around 12 months ago, maybe they should complain to the cable operator.
The room near the pool was small for P2100 but clean and the bed was good and very comfortable.
The pool need some shade especially for where it is situated, and I would not let my Pinoy wife swim there, as the pool is 10ft one end, and at the 'shallow' end, it is at least 5ft 6inches, or 6ft where my wife is 5ft flat. For her and any Filipino under 5ft 11inches it is very dangerous, as there are no ledges to keep your head out of the water.
Of course, don't forget there is another pool. Yes we went to that, and it was green and my wife would not swim there. So, no swimming for my wife! but OK for me. Sayang.
We found that sitting on the beach relaxing, and had no trouble keeping ourselves interested, I come from Australia, so the big waves were no challenge for me and I found them 100% great.
Breakfast was good, but there was no cook for dinner, so if you go.... BYO and be prepared.
So, OK lang, but not GREAT

Room Tip: Be prepared, do your homework check Resorts out electronically, but a trip there is the only way you...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Pasig, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

I've heard alot about La Union and bought a voucher online for this resort. So glad we stayed at this place! The staff are very friendly and accommodating. They have 3 swimming pools and a cool bar with live bands performing on weekends. The place is also perfect for surfing and not too close to other resorts so there's not alot of people surfing unlike in se bay.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Baguio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Having been there several times years back, I decided to bring my family (my stays there were always with my co-employees) on a whim last weekend. The first thing I noticed was that the reception hut was replaced with a new one built mostly of concrete on the inside. I told the receptionist that the old building was better, since it gave the place a real tropical character. Anyway, there were four of us, and the guy at the desk tried to sell me the five-person room since the one good for three (I wanted an extra bed added) was apparently not ready. I told them we would wait, and it was a good thing they had the room ready within fifteen minutes. So we went to the room, changed and had a short swim. We then went back to the room to get a good night's sleep.

During a previous stay, I remember having been served a breakfast with rice and of course, ulam. Not this time. We were served by a waiter who didn't even say much, didn't smile, and simply shook his head to a question of mine. Worse, the breakfast consisted of toast, eggs and a banana. No jam or butter. By this time I was already disappointed by my observations that the place was getting shabby - the pool had algae along the edges, the cement was chipped, and the gardens were unkempt. I mean, there was grass near the pool! Now, I love cats, but a resort is no place for them. I wish they'd just take care of them in some other area.

Anyway, after breakfast, we went for a swim and noticed new arrivals - guests to turned out to be teachers and their kids who came all the way from Caloocan. We were all in the pool when the attendant/receptionist informed them that cotton shirts were not allowed in the pool. Now, there were 50 or so of them - all paying guests. They tried reasoning that they came all the way to enjoy - whereupon this bearded guy, I think he was one of the owners - told them that enjoyment had nothing to do with it - the rules were posted on the board. How rude and arrogant of him to treat his guests that way! The group then decided to get out of the pool and change, all the while grumbling about the wasted trip and shabby treatment by the bearded guy. By the way, this guy was the same one I saw walking here and there giving instructions to the staff. My impression was that he was stuffy, since when I told him he had a nice dog, he gave no reaction whatsoever.

They later told the teachers that they could use the small pool, but by then the group had lost its sense of fun. I would understand. As one of them said, they were embarrassed by the management.

We didn't even wait until checkout time. My wife said she didn't enjoy the stay, and neither did I. The place isn't what it used to be - it needs better upkeep, the manager was an arrogant SOB. The rates are ok, room was ok. But I've decided never to go back. The bearded guy should put his attention to making the place look great and he should change his attitude. He just lost this customer - and many more, I think.

Room Tip: The rooms just by the parking lot are good for large groups.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
pasig
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2012

we were at normy2's resort after xmas. the vicinity was not that clean...cats roaming all over. cobwebs hanging in the rooms. the staff were good but can only give as much because they were only two of them doing all around tasks, from the reception to attending guests needs and complaints. the tv in our room was broken and could not be replaced. the aircon was not working well. you wont expect prompt service at the restaurant. meals are served after an hour or so, we have to go back and forth the restaurant to check if they could already serve our breakfast, which turned out to be just toast, butter, jam and coffee.
but for the modest rate, we could not expect much. we enjoyed the beach, nonetheless.
twas clean.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

This place is fantastic. We had a great weekend they had created for the Pacman fights. Great band on the weekend. Cool Vibes, best in LaUnion. The only place can keep you entertained at international standards.

Room Tip: The 3 bedroom resthouse for groups is a great dea.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Groton, Connecticut
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stayed here for one night this weekend (November 26). I initially planned to spend the rest of my first solo trip to La Union at this place, but I ended up transferring to another resort because although I wanted some space and time alone to sort out my issues, I wasn’t expecting to do practically nothing. As a matter of fact, I was looking forward to being busy with all kinds of water activities and sightseeing, and to say that I was disappointed by Normi2s Beachfront Resort would be an understatement. There’s not too much to do at this resort except surfing (they offer lessons for Php400 per hour; Php200 if you’re just renting a board). It’s a fifteen- to twenty-minute ride from the main surfing strip of San Juan and thirty minutes away from San Fernando. I suppose it was my mistake for not making reservations early, as practically every place in San Juan was already fully booked. This place had some nice reviews, so I thought what the heck.

Another thing I disliked about Normi2s is their limited menu offerings. They basically only have this one piece of cardboard paper where the food choices are written with a felt-tipped marker. All they’ve got are these simple meals that consist of rice, veggies (young corn and string beans), fruit cocktail (for dessert), and your choice of sausages (there were at least three kinds, which from what the staff told me, will be served in two pieces and is about the size of two thumbs—hardly filling at all), or fried fish, or pork chops, or some of those –silog varieties. I’m not a rice person, so finding out that they’ve only got rice meals on the menu was practically an offense to me. Although they were pretty accommodating when I asked them to replace the rice in the tocino meal I ordered with bread, which only came in three slices. I asked them hopefully if the menu they had was perhaps the menu of the day and if the offerings would change the next day, but apparently, that is their menu until December. So for you guys who are thinking of going there sometime soon, a word of advice: Don’t. Or just bring your own food and drinks, which would, sadly, be subject to corkage fees. Also, they don’t have a bar. They used to, but they closed it due to some long-winded reason that the staff doesn’t want to tell the guests. So for those of you (like me) who’s looking forward to grabbing a few cocktails or other alcoholic spirits aside from beer come nightfall, consider yourselves warned. They only serve San Miguel Pale Pilsen and San Mig Light at the resort.

As far as rooms go, the standard airconditioned room I rented at Php1,840 was okay. The airconditioner ran smoothly and I had two beds at my disposal: one double (where I slept the night) and one single (where I laid out my clothes). They also have a closet with several hangers for use and the bathroom was clean (which, for me, is a big deal because who likes a filthy bathroom?). There was a 14-inch “cable” TV at my room, and yes, I intentionally put the quotation marks on “cable” because that feature was practically a joke. Where would you see a cable-enhanced TV that has only six channels and extremely poor reception (in black and white and full of static)? Only at Normi2s. When I talked to the woman at the front desk about it, she told me she’d send someone to my room to get the TV checked and that if the matter couldn’t be fixed, she’d give me a twenty percent discount—which I though was very generous—so I agreed. They didn’t end up fixing the TV and they didn’t give me the discount either, but more on that later.

What about their WiFi service, you might ask? Well, like all other things, it sucks, too. My room was on the second floor (the router, they said was on the third floor) and they told me I could expect to get some pretty good WiFi signal in my room. But lo and behold, I couldn’t get a stable signal! So you can already imagine what the connection was like. In one word: crappy.

Another creepy thing about this resort is its surfing instructors. I don’t know if I was just an isolated case, but my encounter with one of their instructors is one of the reasons why I would never come back to Normi2s. When I checked in at the reception, there was this one guy who was fixing some ropes and learning that I was a guest, he immediately offered surfing lessons and gave me his number. He wasn’t the creepy guy, though; it was his brother. So after I got some sleep, at around 8 or 9, I took a walk by the shore and I passed by the instructor and some guys he was hanging out with at the cottages. K-Long was the name of the instructor who offered me lessons and he told me when I passed that he’d knock on my room by 7 in the morning the next day because he said the waves should be good at that time for a beginner like me. So I agreed and smiled and told him okay and headed back to my room to write since it didn’t seem like I could do anything much. An hour or two later, there was a knock on my door and I thought it was K-Long who was just going to tell me about the appropriate surfing outfit. I really thought it was him because the guy who was at my doorstep was a split image of him. It was his younger brother, Arianne (not sure if I got the spelling right), and he was introducing himself and saying that he heard what I said about getting bored because there ain’t much to do (he was one of the guys who was with K-Long when I passed them on my way to the shore). I just smiled and said yes, I wasn’t expecting that it would be that boring. He then offered to take me to San Fernando City (at 11PM, mind you!) to go to some local discos or bars (yes, he used “disco”). I told him that I’m not really into discos and that I’d rather prefer to hang out in a bar and have a couple of drinks, but that I’m pretty beat and there’s no way in hell I’d be going to someplace unfamiliar with a stranger at the dead of the night. I could tell he was pretty drunk; he kept on making kulet, asking me not to sleep early (as if we were close friends) and it was the appropriate time to go downtown because that’s when things start hopping. I was getting really irritated because no matter how many times I told him I was tired and I want to go to sleep and that maybe we could do that tomorrow when I’ve gotten settled and well rested, he just kept on insisting and finding ways to lengthen the conversation. I’m not a rude person, so I tolerated him for a while. But I reached that point when I just couldn’t handle him and his evident drunkenness, so I just said that I know some pretty influential people in Manila and that I could charge him for harassment, and then I said good night and closed the door and locked the bolts. And please don’t get me started on his broken English and his horrendous p and f sound deficiency.

The next day, I was all set on checking out. So I packed my bags and headed to the front desk an hour before check-out time at 12. The lady there (with the bobbed haircut) told me that I would need to pay for two nights since I didn’t notify them in advance that I’d be checking out on the 27t and that I wouldn’t be getting the twenty percent discount that I was promised the day before when I complained about the TV and WiFi reception. I didn’t even avail of the supposed “continental” breakfast that comes with my booking, which pathetically consists of two slices of bread and some jam and butter. I tried to negotiate and reason with them; I mean, if they’re thinking about the lost sales, they can easily earn that again because there were people coming in for check-in at that time anyway. But she wouldn’t accept any negotiations and insisted that I pay for two nights. So I finally said that I’m not going to pay for two nights’ stay because it’s completely ridiculous. Her last resort was to charge me for half of the one-night stay, which adds up to Php2,760. Now, since I was so tired of arguing with her and I just wanted to get out of there, I agreed and paid the bill. It’s still a ridiculous amount of course, but there’s no point in reasoning with unreasonable people.

If this resort has one redeeming factor, it’s one of their staff members. Her name is Joanne and she’s uber nice and courteous. She’s the one who dealt with my booking at the last minute and took care of my request about the rice-bread slice switch. She also secretly told me that had she be the one in the front desk when I checked out, she would have charged me only for the one night that I stayed.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Suffolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2010

I and my family stayed at The Beautiful NorMi2's Beachfront Resort (family run a quite Resort ) about 2 weeks a welcoming homley place pleasing and anything you ask for is no trouble at all even with Breakfast, and lunch ideas ,planty of sea food on menu indoor .Restaurant Clean Traditional Holiday chalets with showers and with air-conditioning,gardens with picnic areas.bar, kids pool and swimming, pool.On the beach picnic areas under shade..
Chill out unwind read a book swin,Surf the waves or just walk the Beautiful beach sea line, The Beautiful NorMi2's Beachfront Resort can arrange any functions wedding with full menu inside or out side like i said nothing to much trouble to do from a family run business
Would I go again the answer is yes..

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business

Been to NorMi2's Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!