“Could've stayed longer.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Kizimkazi
Toronto, Canada
“Could've stayed longer.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had 3 days at Karamba. It is a beautiful place and very unpretentious and has a real individualistic flavour. The atmosphere is defined by the owners and the staff and displays very good relationships amongst them. The waiters and barkeeps are friendly, personal and informal and you feel like they are old friends. But the efficiency with which it is run is outstanding. Any complaint such as toilet problems or burnt-out bulbs are dealt with promptly and once when we left our key in the lock, it was improved by the housekeeper and returned to reception before we realised it was there. There are great playlists day in, day out playing in the bar and restaurant and the ambience discouraged us from leaving even tho' there were plenty of other things to do such as visiting the colobus monkeys or swimming with the kizimkazi dolphins. The adjacent beach which is public is quite nice but the very big tide differences, the rocks and the sea urchins discourage swimming in the Indian Ocean. The swimming pool makes up for this. Finally as the resort sits cheek by jowl with a working fishing village, you never feel cut off from the ordinary life of the locals who are out on the rocks and the sea clamming, shrimping and fishing all day and night long. There is a very good , well-stocked and reasonably priced souvenir shop onsite. Gemma and her main assistant, Esther were more than helpful and as it says in the title, "We could've stayed Longer."

Room Tip: Bigger rooms are farther from the restaurant and nearer the pool. Get one if you need space.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had a very pleasant experience at Karamba Resort. It is a low-key place, with 20 rooms, a charming swimming pool, and very friendly staff that try to do everything to please you. It is quite lovely to be near the village, and to see the activity of the fishermen. All bungalows are sea-front, and as a result, benefit from a delightful breeze. The rooms are clean and basic, with very nice outdoor shower/tub. Food is quite diverse. Overall, we had a great time, at a reasonable price. I recommend this place.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

The title of my review sums up Karamba. We visited in September 2012, so I am a little late in writing this, but felt I had to share this. We stayed here for two days as a base for visiting a friend in nearby Macanduchi. From the minute we arrived I felt as if I come to a very special retreat. The Beach bungalow we stayed in was charming, rustic and clean, with the most amazing views, and sunsets I have ever seen. We went out to swim with dolphins, swam in the beautiful infinity pool, and ate the fresh local produce, which was cooked to order for us. The staff were polite and very friendly. We stayed in several hotels during our stay on Zanzibar, most of them far more expensive than Karamaba. I would return again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I just want to start off by saying that I had a terrible experience here when I got a massage and the masseuse was inappropriate with myself (I do not wish to go into detail). I am assured by the management that this is not the case anymore but it would be remiss of me not to at least state what happened so that others can be cautious when they go there especially if they request a massage (I would suggest getting a massage elsewhere). I was told that it had happened before me to others but apparently since my situation it has ceased completely. Accordingly, I rate service terrible due to that event.

Value for money is good. We were 5 volunteer girls so wanted a nice place but on a tight budget. This place fitted that criteria.

Sleep quality-I had 86 mosquito bites after first night (yes I counted!) even though I had the nets down. I would suggest tucking the net in and checking there isn't any holes in the netting (which there was and they stitched up). Rest assured I did not contract maleria at all. Suffice to say I didn't sleep well that night or any night as I was too itchy. Bed was relatively ok. Too hard for my liking.

Cleanliness-The room we had was nicely presented with no mess or stains. All other areas of hotel like pool and restaurant always appeared clutter and dirt free.

Location-I would say this resort is nicely located (if you like being away from everything so you can just relax and enjoy the nice sunset - they can organise transfers if you want to head into stone town or go to another stretch of beach).

Rooms - the room we stayed in had bathroom outdoor which was lovely to be in a shower and look up at stars but when it rained your toes would face getting wet when mother nature called.
It's a quaint room with a double bed downstairs and four singles upstairs. It was all the room we needed but others might have found four upstairs too be too small of an area.

Fitness centre-they have yoga available although non of us tried it out

Room service -one of the local Masai (who I believe is employed by Karamba) killed a snake that was seen upstairs in our room. He was quick in coming to our aid. Definitely thankful to him.

All in all if I did not have the terrible massage experience I would have recommended this place for the food and the location. However it did happen and I will never return. If you choose to go there I would suggest the following:
-DONT get a massage
-check the nets (I had insect repellent on and it still didn't help)
-be on look out for snakes

Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Basel, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

Karamba is a lovely place. It´s a peaceful and well maintained resort in calm surroundings. The area is much less turistic than the north/east part of the island. The bungalows are simple but clean and with charm. The garden and swimming pool area is fantastic. You can easily find your own private spot. The staff is very friendly and helpful. We had almost all meals in the restaurant, the food was really good and we got very good service. I would love to go back to Karamba, it's a real paradise!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Jarrahdale, W.A.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

We need some place quiet and peaceful after a tough year working in Tanzania. We found it in Karumba!
We were met when we got out of the airport. Our standard rooms were upgraded at no increase in price on the second day. Both rooms were WONDERFUL!
The first two days we did NOTHING - bliss! We then got adventurous and swam with the dolphins and snorkelled on the reef. A highlight was the sunset cruise on a dhow. All arranged metres from the resort.
This is a place we will come back to.
Thanks everyone at Karamba

• Stayed January 2013
Baghdad, Iraq
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I would highly recommend Karamba Resorts – I stayed here for a fortnight and it is almost perfect if you are looking for lots of rustic me-time by the beach. The resort is as is in the photographs on the website. The staff is fantastic and will go out of their way to please you; the rooms are kept very clean (and sprayed daily to keep out the insects); the food is entirely wholesome and organic. It is the only beachside resort in Kizimkazi and therefore still very peaceful and not clamored by tourists. You can mingle with the locals, fish and watch dolphins with them. You can also enjoy the yoga space at the resort and go for long walks in the neighborhood that lead to other untouched beaches in the area. My favorite parts were the long, unhurried morning breakfasts with a gorgeous ocean view; the outdoor shower experience :); and the beautiful sunsets. Gemma, thank you for the wonderful experience!

Room Tip: The big rooms are really nice!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Been to Karamba Resort? Share your experiences!