My husband, son and I had an absolute ball here over the new year period.
Staff are attentive, kind and always willing to help. This I believe is down to the top tier managers all being Mauritian and French. Having travelled to both places many times, it was evident they are trying to bring their level of service to this African island. Many reviewers talk about the bumpy road approaching the hotel..really not an issue, try trekking in Costa Rica!
Villas are stunning, well maintained and cleaned to the highest standard. We had a garden view (217)? Second row we called it...and we're thrilled, as we had foliage covering our pool, we often went skinny dipping! Boating staff are extremely friendly and cool and a special thanks to "trumpetfish"! Who was delightful with my 12yr old son. We did the sunset sail tour but as no wind managed to swim with dolphins instead!
Food...if you have been to Mauritius/Seychelles/Maldives...much the same....good quality fish and produce served by efficient staff and cooked by European chefs. All beautiful presented and delicious.
All in all a great hotel and holiday location. Now the downside:(
Airport transfer $116 each way...sorry we are sitting ducks,...surely a hotel of this standard includes the 45 minute transfer ..or build it into the cost?
Husband and son went diving..was it necessary to put another $60ish for their transfer to diving location..surely spending money on the island is helping the local economy ..the diving school should pick up that cost
An unwelcome visitor in my room New years Eve...a snake...apparently it's unusual! Ok I understand that, but a bottle of champagne at dinner that night to compensate...maybe a few dollars off the bill might've helped!! I was totally freaked! Admittedly the hotel offered to move me to another room..2 nights before I leave when I've settled in..not an option!!
More hobie cats...we tried twice to sail in the afternoon ( as its tidal here, so no sailing in the mornings) but to no avail.
Despite the above would recommend a stay here, honeymooners will get peace and tranquility and families are extremely well looked after
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Zanzibar lies within a lush, forested 32-hectare estate where five-star luxuries sit harmoniously alongside nature's untouched beauty. Feel your spirits soar amid extensive tropical gardens that meet with powder-soft white sand lapped by the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. Inspired by the island's eclectic cultures, our luxury Zanzibar resort blends modern comforts with Swahili, Omani, British and Indian influences. Indulge in the privacy of the spacious villas, attended on if you wish by your own personal butler. Enjoy carefree days relaxing by your private pool, on the beach, or exploring the gardens on foot or by bicycle. Savour a taste of the Spice Island's unique blend of cultures and cuisines, and the pleasure of sensational spa treatments. Discover more of the island and the waters that surround it in a myriad of activities, from visiting historic sites and rare natural wonders to deep sea fishing and diving with dolphins. Whether you dream of a quiet couple's retreat or fun in the sun for the whole family, embrace all the delights of our island life at The Residence Zanzibar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Residence Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Zanzibar Hotel Kizimkazi
- The Residence Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Kizimkazi