We picked this hotel for the first week of our honeymoon before going on to safari in Tanzania, having decided we wanted a week of total relaxation in a luxurious hotel. The Residence did not disappoint. It far exceeded our expectations and I would highly recommend this resort for other couples who want the ultimate honeymoon/luxury holiday experience. We were treated like royalty the entire time and couldn't really find anything to complain about- highly unusual for us, being a couple with quite high expectations of hotels, food and service!
We stayed in an ocean front villa, which was definitely more private than the beach or garden villas. Each villa has its own pool and terrace, outdoor shower and front and back gardens. Indoors there are 3 large rooms- living room area, bedroom and bathroom, all spotless and a perfect mix of modern and authentic decor. Every amenity was catered for. I noticed the cleaning staff replaced our toiletries every single day, so we rarely had to use our own shampoo or showergel as theirs were so good! With the Residence, the villa experience offered is so much more special and unique than staying in a room or suite in a hotel block.
The staff have to be commended, they were all excellent; so polite and pleasant and willing to do anything you asked. The food was also exceptional, especially the private dinner we had in our villa one night under the stars (complimentary for honeymooners). This is what memories are made of! We also loved the picnic hampers used for beach/pool dining, a really nice touch. We made use of the spa several times and got up close to one of the red colombus monkeys while in the spa jacuzzi. Yoga is offered twice a week on the jetty, unfortunately we managed to miss this on both occasions. Too busy enjoying the evening sunset from our villa I think. The jetty is such a spot, I would encourage the hotel to make more use of it by having drinks on it more than one night a week or by hosting live music there. Another plus is the bicycles for each guest- we loved cycling to and from the spa/dining room. It really was the most exercise we got all week!
September seemed to be a quiet month at the resort, but that suited us perfectly. We only left the resort one day to visit Stone Town and for a spice tour, but we could have happily spent every day there. As long as people realise how isolated and private the resort is you will not be disappointed. It's the perfect spot to totally get away from normal life and to be spoilt rotten. I would say not to be put off by the long bumpy lane down to the hotel. The road could do with resurfacing, but it's worth it once you arrive to a cold towel and ice cold drink after a long flight. A haven in the exotic island of Zanzibar.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the South West of Zanzibar, Tanzania, The Residence Zanzibar has 66 spacious villas each luxuriously appointed with stylish contemporary furniture, private swimming pool and attentive service.The Residence Zanzibar is set on 32 ha of perfectly manicured gardens and a Spa that offers the finest Carita products.It boasts a mile-long powdery white sand beach, flanked by coconut palm trees and a Jetty that stretches 150m out into the warm waters of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Splendia, Travelocity, Booking.com, Tingo, BookingOdigeoWL, Jetsetter, Expedia, Despegar.com, Venere and Agoda so you can book your The Residence Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Zanzibar Hotel Kizimkazi
- The Residence Zanzibar Kizimkazi