I’ve just got back from a really fantastic restful stay at The Residence, Zanzibar.
We flew into Dar es Salaam with BA and caught a little hopper flight over to the island with Coastal Aviation – the latter the smallest plane I’ve been on and a bit rustic but punctual and cheap – go for it as it was fun.
We stayed for 5 nights at The Residence, Zanzibar and took one of the beach villas. The accommodation has a plantation splendour to it, but manages to blend simplicity, space and comfort. There’s a luxury Zen-likeness to the whole place. Small touches in the room such as plenty of fluffy clean towels all smelling of exotic frangipani; yummy residence bathroom products (loved the bath salts and shower-gel); quality cotton bedding and fantastic turn-down service lived up to expectations. Treats such as the beautiful fruit bowl, daily herbal drinks and welcome petit fours made us feel truly spoiled. Oh and a big thanks to Linda was so sweet and helpful but then all the staff were. Other pluses are the butler service (service in general across the hotel was the best I’ve experienced real 5 star); plunge pool (substantially sized) and the push bikes (fun to zoom around the site). Oh and a great spa – I enjoyed a lovely relaxing massage and even fell asleep (first time ever)!
The beach is very pretty – pure white sands and turquoise waters and it’s kept super clean. Windy though and the sun’s strong so remember your high factors (there’s limited choice re SPF in the shop). However it’s the infinity pool that I enjoyed most. It’s amazing – completely glass at one end (get some pics it’s hilarious). Make sure you order a lunchtime picnic box by the pool – super fun.
The food at the resort is delicious and there’s an impressive choice…..from lobster, king prawns, scallops, steak, feta, indulgent puds – whatever you fancy. Every day there’s also a selection of fresh baked breads and pastries. Oh and lovely yummy hors d'oeuvres to enjoy pre-dinner with cocktails (try the ginger mojito or passion fruit daiquiri – wow!!). And if the weather’s not too good then enjoy the 24 hour room service – we did as it was rainy (unusual in October as supposed to be dry but the rains’ came early) but snuggled into a DVD and dinner in the villa. Again we felt really well looked after.
On one of the day’s we went into Stone-town. I’d saying if you’re staying for 3-5 days then do a half day city tour and if longer then a full day so you get some of the broader history. There’s some great shops/bargains to be had and amazing architecture and history to absorb.
Loved Zanzibar and so want to return - maybe Pember island next time too!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Residence Zanzibar lies within a lush, forested 32-hectare estate where five-star luxuries sit harmoniously alongside nature's untouched beauty. Feel your spirits soar amid extensive tropical gardens that meet with powder-soft white sand lapped by the crystal clear waters of the Indian Ocean. Inspired by the island's eclectic cultures, our luxury Zanzibar resort blends modern comforts with Swahili, Omani, British and Indian influences. Indulge in the privacy of the spacious villas, attended on if you wish by your own personal butler. Enjoy carefree days relaxing by your private pool, on the beach, or exploring the gardens on foot or by bicycle. Savour a taste of the Spice Island's unique blend of cultures and cuisines, and the pleasure of sensational spa treatments. Discover more of the island and the waters that surround it in a myriad of activities, from visiting historic sites and rare natural wonders to deep sea fishing and diving with dolphins. Whether you dream of a quiet couple's retreat or fun in the sun for the whole family, embrace all the delights of our island life at The Residence Zanzibar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Travelocity, Priceline, Splendia, Odigeo and Jetsetter so you can book your The Residence Zanzibar reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Residence Zanzibar Hotel Kizimkazi
- The Residence Zanzibar Zanzibar Island/Kizimkazi