“Good place for a holiday,” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sunset Bay Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Union Province
Sunset Bay Beach Resort
Canaoay, San Fernando, Luzon, Philippines   |
Ranked #4 of 11 hotels in La Union Province
Manila
“Good place for a holiday,”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

Accommodation was excellent with clean well appointed rooms and comfortable bed.

The grounds were attractive and kept clean and tidy

Wi-fi service was free and of very good quality.

The staff friendly and helpful.
Bar was well stocked and the restaurant had an excellent menu. I felt that the prices were rather high.

The only down side is that it is a long and uncomforable ride in by motorcycle and sidecar if you travel to La Union by bus.
Ideally, you need your own car..

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2012

My wife and I stumbled upon this resort via a tip from another traveler while we were eating breakfast one morning at the VFW in Bauang, La Union.

On a whim we booked a standard room for 1600 pesos and rode a provincial bus down from Baguio City on a subsequent weekend. We've since been back some dozen or more times.

At any rate, we stayed in room 1 initially, which is basically at the heart of the resort with rapid access to all the resort has to offer.

Back in 2010 when Spider, the original owner was still alive, the place was spectacular what with its abundant decor and well-manicured lawns. Since his unfortunate demise the place has surprisingly retained its charm.

Located in Canoway next to a small relatively serene airport and on the beach, Sunset bay is an excellent getaway for couples or the entire family. There are 19 rooms available, including 4 of the spacious ones on the top tier of a separate building. The latter offer a spectacular view of the beach.

We stayed in room D with a canopy bed and a private porch. In the morning one can lie in bed and watch the beautiful sunrise. In the evenings you'll want to be by the pool, on the beach or in the restaurant for the awesome sunset.

The resort is under new management and the staff are friendly, courteous and ever eager to serve. Each room has an air-conditioner, a mini fridge and a bathroom with hot water (not always a given when traveling in the Philippines). The 4 upper rooms (2600 pesos a night) boast a bathroom that 7 people could shower in simultaneously. Room A has a family room with 2 separate bedrooms and 2 TV's with cable.

The pool is clean and there are plenty of lounge chairs around to work on that tan. There is an area for parties, a billiards table and a cozy restaurant overlooking the beach.

The food is good and inexpensive. I went for the lasagna and a cold San Miguel Light, while the little lady had pizza. There are daily specials and always a prime rib available as well. Wines, a variety of beers and spirits are also available.

The beach is clean and a public area is down the beach 500 meters if you desire to mix it up with the locals. One of the nice things about Sunset Bay is the fact there isn't a bunch of vendors hawking their respective wares 24/7. Yes, there is an occasional vendor but they are not troublesome.

Boat rides are available (make a deal) if you want to cruise around. We got a boat one time for 1000 pesos for 2 hours and went fishing.

On the weekends there is a pretty good singer near the restaurant singing decent oldies and other romantic songs.

If you're wanting the night life, ask the staff to call for a trike and head on in to La Union to one of the bars or discos (100 pesos).

With the affordability coupled with the friendly staff, food, serenity and excellent views, this is by far the best resort in Luzon hands down. You won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: Call ahead for reservations as this place usually fills for on the weekends by Thursday. Also, the b...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
makati city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

Went there with my pal last May 5-7, 2012. It was an unplanned vacation, i surfed the net looking for a cozy and relaxing place to spent our weekend. i was amazed by the reviews I read here about Sunset Bay Beach Resort, enough to cause me to make a reservation and travel for nearly 8 hours from Manila. when we arrived at the resort, I told myself"ah ok" nothing spectacular...when i went to the beach front..i told myself puerto galera, coron and boracay beaches are still way more impressive... but not until i get the chance to mingle with the friendly and accommodating staff of the resort. They make me feel at home. The food they serve are awesome and the smiles they offer helps me forget the worries i left in manila. Not to mention that there are some interesting guests too...:-)

to top it all, Sunset Bay Beach Resort is reasonably affordable and a place worth coming back...:-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Manila, Philippines
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2012

Went here on recommendation from a local. Wow what a view at sunset. Food took a while to get. Will come back here next time. Cheaper than at Thunderbird with same sunset view

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

I did a LOT of research for this trip to La Union. I received recommendations for Thunderbird and Kahuna but they seemed pricey and I found Sunset Bay. My brother's friend has been there and said it was okay, and the prices seemed reasonable so I decided to book at this resort.

Room review: Based on reviews here on trip advisor I booked three upper deck rooms, which are the newest rooms in the resort. These rooms have an ocean view. The rooms seem okay and clean. The bathrooms were spacious and modern looking. However, there was hardly any water flowing from the faucet and the shower. Supposedly there was hot water but I didn't experience it and I barely had water to finish showering. Not sure if this only happened because we were in an upper room and perhaps the water had to travel up?!? Sounds strange.

Restaurant review: I expected poor service in the restaurant based on previous reviews. We were a party of eight: seven Filipinos and my American husband. I wasn't expecting better service just because my husband is a foreigner as experienced by other reviewers. Anyway, aside from one other patron in the restaurant at the time, we were the only ones there. The staff seemed to take care of us well but the food is not that great. We ordered beer and each bottle was served in a "coozy" (not sure of spelling - it's like a sleeve for a bottle to keep the drink cold) that seemed to have seen better days.

Beach review: Also based on trip advisor reviews, I was hesitant to stay at this resort due to other reviewers saying the beach area is not the best for swimming because of a lot of seaweed. I was hoping there would be enough current and waves to wash the seaweed away but I was sadly mistaken. I did see a few people go in the water but we didn't. It's not the best beach for swimming. I would recommend San Juan for swimming and of course the other beach activities like surfing.

Overall if you just want a quick getaway, lower your expectations if you want to stay at this resort. The staff were friendly and helpful, which I was not expecting at all. I'm not sure if this is on a case by case basis. Even if other resorts are pricier, it's good to have the peace of mind knowing you get the most of what you pay for.

• Stayed April 2012
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2012

I wish I could say a lot of brilliant things about this place but I cannot. The "art" is more souvenir type and "busy." The gardens are kept but not something to write about. The pool is small and it overlooks a beach that is cleaned by staff. However, the water is too rocky to frolick in. Taking a walk towards the other resorts, the beach was full of trash.

However, I must mention that the beds were amazingly comfortable and the rooms were spartan but spacious. We rented two deluxe ocean view rooms. The bathrooms are huge but there was that foul odor from the water. We speculated that this was because it might have been well water. It smelled of perm solution but other than this, we were happy with our rooms. They were spacious and clean and cool and we had a view of the beautiful sea. We had our breakfasts at the resort. The wait staff were friendly and we enjoyed lounging on the beach. I find it surprising that no one approached us if we wanted something from the bar--their loss!

From Sunset Bay, we took a day trip to Vigan, Ilocos Sur to see their famous ancestral homes and we were not dissappointed. We stayed a couple of hours taking photos, checking out the souvenir shops and having dinner in the heritage district. Okay, on the way to tVigan, pass by Gassera Restaurant (on the left side of the road if you are driving - you won't miss it, it has a huge signage and the only restaurant that looks promising) and for a mere $20 a group of 6 can be fed with wonderful food, elegant ambience and the friendliness of its owner! She is also an avid bonsai gardener and gave our local friend who went with us a cutting of her plant. You will not miss the owner--she is the hostess and the chef as well but forgive me for forgetting her name. Her place is classy and elegant and she won't subject you to eardrum busting music.

We took a van from Manila and it took us 6 hours to get to Sunset Bay. There will be signs once you get to San Fernando, La Union. For those who are on their way to Vigan, Ilocos Sur or Baguio, and want a day of beach and sun, I will recommend this place. For a destination beach resort, I would have to say, one can opt to go to Pangasinan instead. The beach here is not acceptable for swimming, the beaches adjacent is full of unwanted trash like plastic bottles and discarded clothes, etc. One can save time and gas by going instead to Pangasinan instead of driving all the way up to a mom and pop operation.

Room Tip: Choose the deluxe rooms! You will have privacy (without people walking about and socializing outsid...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
Manila
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2012

This is a perfect small resort for families and for people who just want to relax. We have been twice now and can't say enough about the staff and management. We were treated first class both visits and will return again in the future. The newer rooms that are located on the second floor are the best in my opinion. We were able to bring our nanny and have a two bedroom with two queen beds so it is just perfect for us. The terraces on the rooms are great! The food is good as well and the drinks are priced cheaper than any other resort I have been in the Philippines. The beach is not the best in the world but good for our two young boys. The sunsets are awesome and they have set up plenty of seating on the beach and near the pool for relaxation. The pool is good for taking a dip and for kids. Also, they provide a free shuttle in a nice new van to the main surfing beach which is a huge added bonus. Lastly, the price of the rooms are very reasonable! We will be back again. Thanks!

Room Tip: Room A is the one I would recommend.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family

Been to Sunset Bay Beach Resort? Share your experiences!