“Thank you for a lovely stay.” 4 of 5 stars

Kalia Beach Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Gouves, Crete 70014, Greece   |
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in Gouves
Retford, United Kingdom
“Thank you for a lovely stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

After reading some of the reviews on here before we went on holiday we decided to go with open minds and not to expect too much but to make the best of a holiday in Crete. We found the room basic but clean and had everything we needed. The balcony had lovely views and we weren't there to sit in a room but it was nice to sit and relax after a day out before going for dinner. The staff were friendly and helpful, always seemed pleased to see us and genuinely interested if we had had a good day. We found all the Cretans that we came across genuinely friendly and most spoke very good English. The food was fairly tasty and we didn't find it monotonous, yes breakfast was slightly different but in temperatures of 30 degrees plus the last thing i wanted was a full English and as the saying goes 'when in Rome'! Lunch and dinner always had a variety and on a few occasions 2 meat choices and a fish dish plus a variety of vegetables.There was always a good variety of salads too. At no time were we rationed or told we could only have one item. Puddings were not the usual things you would eat at home but again ,jam roly poly and custard in a heatwave?The staff worked really hard, clearing tables, fetching drinks and generally keeping the place moving and were always friendly which is more than i can say for all of the guests! As previously mentioned in other reviews Russians and Germans are not good holiday companions but i'm afraid not all of our fellow countrymen were perfect either. Language barrier or not (and as i have said English was spoken by most if not all of the staff) when did it become acceptable to stand in front of somebody who wants to serve your meal and point and grunt? The staff seemed to take it in their stride but it certainly wound us up. Crete, as is well known has economic problems and tourism is probably the major income for a vast percentage of the population so why would they bite the hand that feeds, perhaps some of the guests could have had the same attitude. We hired a car which i think is a must if you stay in Gouves or happy with a very chilled beach and relax holiday, this was also a good move as the air con in the car was a welcome escape from the heat. I'm not sure if it is an ideal place for children especially if you weren't able to travel round but for us as a couple it was perfect. We tended to keep to the beaches on the edges of the resort as they were quieter and the sunloungers at Isla bar were lovely, well padded, with a towel, a bucket of iced water and it's own little sandy beach. This was more or less directly over the road from Kalia beach. Kalia beach did have sun loungers round the pool but we preferred the sea and sand. For the price we paid to stay at Kalia beach we didn't mind paying to eat out occasionally or to go for a drink somewhere else. Again Isla bar was lovely in the evening. All in all we loved our stay in Crete, we loved the whole package and Kalia beach didn't disappoint, we got what we paid for and more i would say. We loved the country and the people and will certainly be returning. The sooner the better.

Room Tip: We only went into one room 206. It was fine and i think had a slightly bigger balcony than some
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Greek first
Bradford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Right down to the nity gritty
its cheap and cheerful basic but clean
food not fine dinning but you wont go hungrey (people who moan about it ,,,,,do you live on top notch food at home.............doubt it you buy yours from asda like the rest of us or maybe your an aldi fan)
for the money its ok ...........if you want more pay more and stop moaning
you go for the weather ....dont you .....not to bloody moan all the time
we were there for a week yes at first i was dissappointed but for what i paid it was good value
plus we met a great gang of people who made our holiday so i say you get what you pay for stop moaning and enjoy what there is not what there isnt

Room Tip: if your expecting 5 star dont book
Bratislava, Bratislava, Slovakia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have spent a very nice holiday in Kalia Beach hotel. The accomodation was not new, but very clean and in good condition. The food was very good containing European and also Greek cousine. The is a beautiful view from the hotel restaurant which is very close to the see. The service was excellet - all waiters, barman, manager, receptionists were very friendly, helpful, always smiling. I personally do not understand all negative reviews because this hotel very good in 3* category.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2013

would just like to thank everybody at this hotel for a great stay - the rooms were clean - the food was fine - and the staff were friendly - and would recommend it to eany one that wants a cheap holliday.

fraserburgh
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

Just returned, June 19, 2013 and have to say that until they improve the food then I personally would not return. Yes we read all the reviews and yes we have compared the food to other so-called "cheap 3* hotels" and yes, you get what you pay for, and yes I am a seasoned traveller and have put up with most "experiences" but what we received here was just not acceptable.
Yes you could always find something to eat if you were prepared to eat lukewarm food, I was not. Yes there was always fresh if not repetitious salads but I do not go on holiday to eat constant rabbit food. Yes there was the proverbial Pork at virtually every sitting for lunch and dinner of some description and its still my favourite meat but hey, c'mon enough is enough!!!.
Breakfast was cold unless you got there at 7am. on the dot (and beat the Russians, but thats another story) Toast that took 8 minutes to colour, lukewarm bean juice with beans like cannonball shots and the proverbial fried eggs or scrambled eggs, either plain or with tomato in it. Bacon (streaky, undercooked) 3 times in 2 weeks and then twice it was ham fried, again you had to beat the Russians to get any. If they ran out then sausages (hot dogs) were brought out instead. Bread and jam aplenty, watermelon aplenty too. Unlimited tea/coffee and juice that came out of a machine.
Enough said about the food but thought I'd mention that the same chefs cook the a la carte menu and that was superb !!!!!
The restaurant overlooks the harbour/sea and doubles as Zorbas Taverna but you can't eat the a la carte indoors and you can,t eat A/I outdoors !!!.
Coming to A/I drinks, Beer/Ouzo/Raki/Brandy, not Metaxa, Knossos instead, and the three wines, red, rose and white all served in plastic glasses unless you are drinking it in the restaurant. All soft drinks are A/I and are off the gun. No, I could not tell if they were watered down, it did'nt seem like it.
Snack wise the Ice creams are served at 3pm sharp, not a minute earlier and the sandwiches, processed cheese slice and luncheon meat together come out around 4pm and are bone dry by 5 past, left on the bar in the heat. Albeit covered and the Russians remember to cover them up again!.
Hotel itself was clean if not basic, bed sheets are changed every other day and towels on alternate days also, no cleaning on Sundays but the second week the new towels appeared in the rooms, A/C is 6 euros a night, fan from supermarket cost 17E and we brought it back, room safe is 2E and non-refundable.
Turn right of the hotel and 100 yards is the Aphrodite Hotel, BEFORE the dry watercourse and walk up to the Anfield Bar, (great night out), turn left and that is the main shopping drag, usual tavernas and souvenier shops.
Back to the hotel, we approached the Jet2 holiday rep Louisa and voiced our displeasure of the meal quality and hotness of it only to be "poo pooed" away stating that she had no complaints about it before, mind you after that the general manager was seen more often and the staff seemed to buck their ideas up after that.
Staff wise, thanks to Giannis, Myron and Nico, Ritsa who smiled the second week only and even the reception staff who Do understand English, even a Geordie like me!!.
Oh, did I mention the Russians, Nightmare!!, from noise to the filling up of plates, (overflowing), even to the point of putting watermelon in their soup, to the sunbeds, puts the Germ*£ns to shame to the utmost noise level of high heel shoes clacking on the tiles.
Go for the 300 rooms which is away from the main block and you should be okay.
Yes its long winded but hopefully you can pick up some good points and if you try it then the bad points may seem frivolous and petty, I tell it like it is.
Have a happy holiday!!!

Room Tip: Rooms 304/305, ground floor away from pool and reception, the old self catering block across the roa...
Croydon, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

I travelled with my mum to Kalia Beach Hotel, Gouves. We stayed from 4th June - 18th June 2013.

Arrival - We arrived at 8.45pm and was welcomed by a nice lady who insisted we ate before we checked in which was lovely. We were shown to our apartment and left to settle in once we were checked in and sorted.

Air Con - 8 euros a day (I think if I remember correctly lol)

Room/Apartment:
We occupied room 116 situated on the ground floor of the reception block opposite the pool and children's playground. This was a studio and was very basic (as expected) but clean with a supply of fresh towels and complimentary soap. On the second day, we found a cockroach (again, expected) but on the third night of our stay was awoken to five cockroaches in our room and so complained to reception. We were informed that this is due to the sea and gardens. We lived in Cyprus for many years and know that cockroaches are attracted to sewage and what not. We later discovered that our room was above the main sewage outlet for the building. AVOID ROOMS 116 and 115.

We were later moved to 404 in the side second block facing the street on the first floor. This room was still a studio but was bigger, brighter, had a bath/shower and large built in wardrobes. The balcony was a little small but still room for a table and 2 chairs. It was much quieter here and the gardens are well kept with Palm Trees and pretty flowers, even a banana tree lol

Just another note - the beds are really hard and uncomfortable

Pool/Facilities
The pool is clean, large and runs through the middle of the complex joining the hotel and the restaurant together. It is was good fun and very relaxing - no problems here. There is also a children's playground and swings - OPPOSITE ROOMS 115 and 116 WHICH STAYS OPEN TO EARLY HOURS ggggrrrrr.

Not very good I am afraid. The guests within the hotel are predominately Russian and so the hotel caters for them more so than the English. This is all inclusive and you are offered powdered milk, powdered scrambled eggs swimming in water, cold baked beans swimming in cold tomato sauce and frankfurter sausages for breakfast. ALL COLD! They also provide Greek Yoghurt (which was not too bad,) honey, choice of two cereals and tinned peaches. The toaster only allows 6 slices at a time, takes forever and does not pop the toast up so be careful. Lunch and dinner is pretty much the same, basically pork in all different shapes and forms.

I was not impressed with the food and only ate there occasionally - this really let the hotel down in comparison to other A/I hotels in the area. You are served small portion sizes by Helen (who is really nice) and it is frowned upon if you ask for more.

Location
In an excellent location for the beach, Gouves town and the main road to either Heraklion or Chersonissos. I could not fault the location in any way.

Check Out:
Very easy no problem at all and for 1 euro you can weigh your case before leaving for the airport.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms 115 and 116 as very noisy, smelly and opposite the bar/pool and playground
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Doncaster, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2013

Before i went to this place i read the reviews on here and thought overall " you get what you pay for and this was a cheap holiday so go for it ". Having got back i can tell you that this was a mistake on my part.
The rooms though very basic were clean and to be honest the staff i had contact with were all very pleasant, so no complaints there.
The all inclusive package was a waste of money however. Starting with drinks, served from 10am to10:30pm we were given a very little choice for eg no vodka and a very cheap brandy with only one beer. Not being a big drinker this was not too much of a problem but poor in my opinion. Then there were the snacks. We had the choice of a very dried up cheese and ham sandwich and there were ice creams. I was informed that i could only have one ice cream and on one occasion went to get my wife and i an ice cream each only to be questioned on my wifes whereabouts incase i was trying to get 2 to myself??? finally moving on to the food, i know you get what you pay for but i didnt expect the selection to be quite so poor. Bland is not the word and yes i@m going to repeat what others have ....Pork.... Pork for lunch and evening meal every single day and usually with no other meat choice though on the occasions i ate at the Kalia there was turkey steaks twice and also chicken twice out of the 14 days i was there. We chose to forego the meals and eat out as there were some pleasant eateries local to the hotel. I will state though that some thought the food to be acceptable and were happy to eat what was served. I was not.
Now to the problem that all should and need to be aware of.
On my 2nd day of my holiday we were robbed. I know this can happen anywhere but....who ever robbed our room did so gaining access with a key. We went out for two hours and when we got back some very expensive electrical equipment and jewellry had been stolen, the room was locked exactly as id left it and no windows or doors were unlocked so access must have been gained by a key holder. The manager first tried to get me not to call the police, then tried to take over the situation saying he would sort it for me. Fortunately i ignored him and sorted thing through the police as his way of sorting it was to ask me not to say anything to anyone and to not claim for my lost goods.I later found out that the cameras in the part of the hotel i was staying were not working that day for some reason and as they are a legal requirement on crete the police were not happy with this either.Apparantly, according to the manager this has happened before at this hotel though theft is not a regular occurance.
I will not directly state on here that it was staff who stole my goods but i will say that the manager himself promised me that only staff had access to keys. Read into this what you will, but be warned if you do go that theft is happening and very little help will be offered should this happen to you.
All in all and even putting the robbery to one side i would not stay at this hotel again nor would i stay in Gouves. Crete is a lovely island and there are far better places to stay should you wish to travel there.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Kalia Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!