“Family run, welcoming and very good location.” 4 of 5 stars

Despina Apartments
Kato Gouves, Gouves, Crete 70014, Greece   |
Ranked #7 of 42 Hotels in Gouves
london
“Family run, welcoming and very good location.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

I feel compelled to write this comment after reading Jayne's review - attention that is given, is genuine and warm hearted and I was quite taken a back with the comments that she made.

Visited Despina in August 2010, with my daughter and grandchild. Booked last minute and was very happy. My only complaint was there was no air conditioning - fans facilitated were a blessing. The room which we stayed in was basic, very clean and cleaned daily. The apartments are family run and you are made very welcome by all.

We spent most days by the pool where food and drink is available at a very reasonable price. The beach is a 5 minute walk away, along the way is a reasonably priced supermarket run by a lovely family. The beach is clean and breezy, you will be charged for sunbeds and umbrella around 7.50 E. Days around the poolside are relaxing and most of the time we had the pool to ourselves - perfect.

If you want a inexpensive place to stay then visit Despina, don't expect 5* accomodation - however you will be looked after in true Greek style.

I enjoyed Gouves peaceful atompsphere, so much so I have just rebooked and can't wait til May 10 when I will return.

The beach is a 5 minute walk away., along the way is a supermarket and a handful of taverna's.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Sutton Coldfield
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2010

My daughter booked a week's holiday for herself and her sons at Despina in late July and so her mother and I decided to join them. I had my doubts because the holiday was so inexpensive, and some of the reviews were less than flattering, but we enjoyed every minute of our stay and hope to return. The rooms are simply furnished, clean and well maintained with good showers and a basic kitchen - which we had no intention of using, anyway! Despina Apartments are at the eastern end of Kato Gouves, just a hundred yards back from the beach - one of the few sand beaches - and distant from any nighclubs, discos etc. so we greatly enjoyed walking out each evening to find a restaurant for our dinner. The two young men, Christos and Arri (I hope I've spelt their names correctly) who run the apartments could not have been more friendly and it is a tribute to the atmosphere in the bar that locals gathered there as well as the paying customers. Hot and cold snacks are available at the bar. The boys enjoyed it as much as the adults: they had no notion of spending their nights in discos but enjoyed their days swimming in the sea or in the Apartments' swimming bath and then going out with us for meals in the evening. The tour operator offered a number of trips - enough for every day of our stay! - but we wanted to relax and so will take these trips on our next visit. I di however take the local bus to Heraklion for a day and would gladly have spent more time there.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
manchester, england
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2010

As a family we have been going to the resort of Gouves for the last 11 years, and have stayed at the Despina and visited the bar there on many occasions, so i was upset at reading Jaynes review as well as being very surprised regarding her comments about Kosta. Kosta, and the rest of the family, are extremely hospitable hosts whose generosity holds no bounds and which on many occasions has entailed giving are now 19 year old daughter presents, which on one occasion was some flowers and on all of these occasions she or us didn't think that there was an ulterior motive in fact Kosta has told our daughter which areas on Crete she shouldn't visit for fears of attracting the wrong sort of attention. I therefore don't accept her comments about Kosta and can only reiterate the other reviews about how friendly the whole family are and i cannot recommend these apartments highly enough. To finish with i agree with Shirlets comments and would ask you to disregard Jaynes.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family
Dundee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2010

I have visited these apartments 7 times over the past 6 years and as a family we have had extremly enjoyable holidays. Although I have reviewed these apartments before I feel compelled to have my say having read a recent review . These apts are family run, Ari & Kosta are the perfect hosts. I have never once witnessed any kind of inappropriate behaviour from either brother. I would be more than happy for my wife & children to visit these apartments without me as I know that they would be safe & well catered for. I think its only fair to highlight the vast majority of reviews about Despina are very positive & that the negative reviews represent a small minority.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
manchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

As a rule I don't write reviews, but felt compelled to after reading 'single parents beware' from Jayne, Liverpool. We have been to these apartments for the last 5 years, staying for 2 or 3 weeks each time and have never witnessed anything approaching inappropriate behaviour from either of the brothers in this family run concern. I would asked people considering staying at these apartments not to be influenced by this persons review and to disregard it completely. I am pleased Costas has responded to these allegations. He must be very hurt as he and his family pride themselves on thier hospitality. We have great affection for this family and look forward to many more visits.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Wirral
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2010

Desperate for a relaxing break from work we booked the Despina via lastminute.com. Flight times weren't good and we were arriving at the apartments at about 5am. Not sure what to expect we we delighted to receive a warm and smily welcome from Kostas, he took us to our rooms, carried bags etc a 5 star welcome! They provided a large bottle of water in your fridge which was a welcome treat given the hour it was and the journey we'd had.

The room is fine, good size for the two of us, simple layout and furniture, typical of most places i would imagine. You don't go on holiday to sit in your room! Little balcony overlooking the pool was pleasant and our meals were enjoyed on here, although there is a little dining area inside. We were on a buget so ate in a few nights and dined out too. Two ring hob and a few pans, crockery and cutlery all fine for what you cook on holiday!
As some others have highlighted we dined at Mylos, just up the road (2 minute walk) very nice, food was excellent, service was of a high standard too and the bill very reasonable!

We hung out by the pool alot and had a few drinks in the bar and found the two brothers Ari and Kostas to be really friendly and personable characters, as most people have mentioned. We were talking to two couples at the bar one evening both of them were returning guests and returned due to the relaxed atmosphere and because of Ari and Kostas.
The resort was quiet and somewhat spread out, so good for a little walk of an evening, lots of supermarkets (not terribly cheap though). There's a nice bakery a short walk up the hill from the apartments too, lovely croissants and danishes! The beaches all have sunloungers and umbrellas which you have to pay for, you can find a spot to put your towel down if you want, I thought they looked terribly cluttered with all the loungers on there, but plesant enough when you're actually on the beach.

All in all a great break away, we'd definately return and wish Ari and Kostas the best of luck - no matter how hard you try you can't please everyone!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Having booked a last minute holiday with my girlfriend we found the reviews really helpful. (Mid to late twenties couple)

Despina is a nice, quiet, compact resort, which adjoins to a small stylish bar (which is great for a quiet drink in the evening). The pool is really nice, not too small, the hosts are both really nice chaps (some people have personal issues if you ask me!). The resort is quiet, if you want to get away from it all then you can do, the profile of the tourist is generally couples of all ages and the odd family.

Walk along the coast to get to the main centre, but beware that the main high street part of Gouves is a stereotypical holiday resort, there is much more besides this. Let down by the 'This is Anfield' bar, so this was given a wide berth to avoid scousers! Despina is located 30 mins walk away so in a good, quiet location.

Drinks and food prices at Despina are reasonable, definitely good value compared to the sea-front bars. Menu is limited as mentioned before but this is accomodation, pool and bar area - it would be pushing it to ask for a restaurant too.

I would highly recommend the Milos restuarant situated less than 5 mins from Despina. Its an authentic Greek restaurant and definitely worth a try. The Medusa restuarant opposite Despina is a good local restuarant.

There are a wide selection of beaches sand and shingle.

To summarise after booking a last minute cheap deal I was more than happy with the accomodation and resort, I couldn't really ask for more.

Would definitely recommend. My only negative commens is the number of stray dogs in the evening when walking to the main street, this a greek cultural issue not a resort only issue.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Despina Apartments? Share your experiences!