We booked to stay at the Ourania apartments with Libra but as they lost the contract there, we were given the Cosmi apartments as the only alternative (we also had our flights changed twice by Libra by over 17 hours but that's another story!)
After reading the reviews for the Cosmi apartments, I have to say I was dreading the holiday but honestly we all enjoyed our stay there. A few points I would like to make after reading some other reviews..
* The apartments were well stocked with plates, cutlery etc. but no kettle just a 2 ring hob (very common for greek apartments)
* Stairwells and pool area was well lit most of the night and then switched to nightlights (which are touch operated on the wall)
* There is one cleaning lady who we saw everyday, very early mopping the whole pool area and surroundings. The sheets and towels were changed in our room a few times during our stay. Bins were emptied almost everyday (she has sunday's off!) and on a number of occasions, she even did our washing up for us!
* There was always hot water in the room, even when we had the shower going for ages, and yes there is a shower curtain but it's not much use and the floor does get wet (another common thing in greece), you have to be careful or put a towel down.
* The owner Nikos (I wasn't looking forward to meeting him) turned out to be perfectly fine with us. He made a point of finding out my little boy's name and said hello to us everyday. There is a 'snack' bar but when we were there he was only serving drinks and ice creams. (But we spent most of our time at the beach so didn't really matter) And he only kept the bar open on a night until around 11 pm (depending on if he had any customers) so most of the time we didn't really see him.
All in all, these are a good example of greek self catering apartments - the pictures in the Libra brochure doesn't do it justice.
As for Gouves, I really liked the resort - it was much bigger than I had anticipated and seems to be split in to different areas, there's the beach road (two/three different beaches depending how far you walk - the best is about 5 minutes away to the right, past the first shingley beach) there are a few tavernas, bars and supermarkets on this road - Ilios and Liminaki are both nice and we went there for breakfast a lot!
Going left on the beach road takes you to Gouves town centre (about 15 minutes at a stroll). This is much busier, shops and restauraunts all the way up. There is a lovely chinese restaurant at the top by the cross roads and the philoxenia is really nice too.
I must also recommend the blue sky bar on the beach road (where we stopped off a few times on the way back after a meal in the centre) This is on the beach road, rows and rows of comfy sofas, swinging seats and soft lighting along the sea front. Biliana, the head waitress couldn't do enough for us and was always bring out fruit and ice cream for my son!
As for trips, we didn't go too far but the Watercity water park is really good fun, only 20 minutes away and 21 euro entrance. A day trip on the bus to Heraklion is really nice too for something else to do (the bus stop is on the main road as you go left out of the apartments).
I would definately return to Gouves and these apartments but not with Libra, the rep was adequate enough in resort (although no where to be seen at the airport!!) but as a Travel Agent myself, I know what level of service expected from a holiday company and they did NOT provide it. I will actively discourage my customers from using LIbra and if you have the misfortune of already being stuck with them (as I was) - I really wish you luck. I hope you can enjoy your holiday despite the lack of service, inaccurate information (i.e. wrong terminal number and luggage allowances on tickets!!) and endless changes!!
If you have any questions please feel free to e-mail me!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Despegar.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Cosmi Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cosmi Apartments Crete
- Cosmi Apartments Hotel Crete
- Cosmi Apartments Gouves, Crete