“Terrible Hotel!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 42 Hotels in Gouves
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Terrible Hotel!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2015

We stayed here in July 2014. The reception staff were friendly and polite. We were shown to our room. It was clean and basic and very dated but that didn't bother us. . We had to call reception 3 times during our staff to fix the air con ( which you have to pay extra for) and wasn't great. Our room wasn't cleaned either but this was quickly rectified by staff when brought to their attention. The music is far too loud during the day and the evening entertainment was adult themed and not appropriate for young children. Although no one seemed to care about the young children Watching a woman straddling a man with a bottle between her legs. I was witness to an incident at the bar where a Russian guest pulled a knife in one of the bar staff the police were called and the man was taken into custody. I didn't enjoy the food. It was oily and suited most of the Eastern European guests. We could never get a table at dinner time. It's just far too busy and the facilities are just not suitable to meet demand in the restaurant. Inside and out !!. We went across the road to Rena's cafe , the food was delicious and Rena is just so friendly and will cook anything for you. Although our all inclusive holiday was costly as a result of this. I would never stay in this hotel again. If you are British then you won't fit in at this hotel

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2014

Before staying at the hotel I read the reviews on here and decided to stay optimistic due to the price I paid. I was looking for a cheap last minute getaway and therefore I wasn't too fussed on quality.

This hotel has so much potential but would not recomend it, even for the price. The main reason being the staff, they were downright rude! It's suprising how much this affected the holiday. The atmosphere was hectic and uptight. Not at all what I wanted for a relaxing break.

Going up to the bar was an interesting experience, either getting intimidatingly stared at by the silent letch behind it, or getting pushed infront of time after time by the hundreds of angry russians. It would take so long to finally get a drink, all of which consisted of either 4 different spirits, beer or soft drinks on the 'all inclusive' package (which was only served at certain times in the day).

As for the food, I read the many bad reviews and decided that I could probably find something to eat. I'm not a fussy eater and assumed that so long as there was something edible I wouldn't really care. It didn't take long for me to realise this wasnt going to happen. What they served could only be described as gruel, every dish was disgusting! On the rare occasion something edible was brought out such as chips or soggy potates (only edible because it's too simple to ruin) it was gone in seconds. I once witnessed an argument where a russian man actually took the spoon out of a young womans hand, after pushing infront of her, in order to get the last of it.

The rooms we're adequate and fairly simple. I wasn't looking for much out of the room so no complaints there. Having to pay extra for the shoddy air conditioning was irritating but bareable.

The beach is around a 20 minute walk away, but there is a shuttle provided at certain times of the day ifthis is a problem for anyone. I personally walked it and it was no bother.

The hotel itself was nice, having 3 seperate pools. It could do with a bit of TLC but for the price I paid it was to be expected really.

My experience here isnt something I would recommend to anyone, mainly because of the terrible staff that don't deserve to take anyones money for the awful job they're doing. I am someone who believes that people should make their own opinion which is why I disregarded these reviews myself, but if you do decide to choose this hotel for your holiday I can say you are only going to be looking at average at best, and I honestly wouldn't even waste your time going all inclusive.

I can 100% say i'll never go back there out of choice, however we still had a good time in the sun regardless of the hotel!

• Stayed June 2014
South East England
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2014

My partner and I paid just under £2000 for a weeks stay, all inclusive at this complex in September. When we arrived, we were shown to what can be only be described as an under-ground hovel. Apparently it was a 'garden room'. Well, as it was under ground with no windows apart from look at a wall I cannot say that there was a garden in sight. The room was dark, smelled of mould and damp. We traipsed back to Reception to ask to be moved, only to be told that there were no other rooms available! Several hours later, after sitting in one of the lovely bars over the road (totally separate from the Lyda complex) the manageress came and took us to another room. This was much better, but still noisy and as it over looked the pool area it was slightly built into the ground and we were unable to open the doors as there was no privacy. The mattress was damp and smelly and really could have done with being thrown away.

On our first night we went to get 'dinner'. The food is processed, apparently not even purchased in Greece and totally awful. It seemed popular with the Russian clients staying at the hotel, but staying in Greece I would have hoped for some choice, and to sample some Greek food!

The all-inclusive drinks were sugary and terrible, although the lady that worked in the little bar by the pool was lovely. The barman that worked at the main bar was more intent on chatting up young girls and ignoring every other customer.

To get decent food we had 15 minute walk into town - obviously we had to pay for this extra so totally blew our budget.

Even if this place was free I wouldn't stay here ever again! Totally awful, and for the money it's verging on criminal!

Room Tip: Don't stay here atall - take a room in another hotel! However if someone is forcing you at gunp...
Tamworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2014

Yes, it maybe needs a bit of TLC, and some sheets and towels were past their best, but for the money, me and my daughters (15 &12) were more than happy. It is a Greek 3*, which probably means 2* British equivalent.
When we go abroad, we expect to be served foreign food, makes it quite exciting. All inclusive gives you the chance to try as much or as little as you wish. There was always something we could all eat. As it was good value, we ate out twice.....by choice, just really to have a little walk and a change of scenery.
It's a little bit away from the main town and beach. A good choice of shops and choice in Gouves, about 30 min walk, or a short bus ride, caught on the opposite side of the main road. The complimentary shuttle bus is a bit of a free for all and you're lucky to get on it. The 3 pools were great and really clean. Water volleyball was a firm favourite, as a net was in one of them. Plenty of sun beds to go around which was a definite bonus.
The staff were great and sorted any issues promptly. The daytime snacks were a bit limited, but ok. I thought plastic glasses in the day were fine, as it meant no broken glass on the floor.
The air-conditioning worked out quite reasonable if the whole week was paid for. Would definitely buy on arrival another time as the room was so warm, we hardly slept on the first night.
All in all, I thought it was good value for our family and had a right laugh with the staff.

Room Tip: Pool view if not on ground floor
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
Coventry, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Me and my partner went for a 10 day last minute holiday here, we decided to go all inclusive as I had never done it before and thought it'd be easier/cheaper etc. Well... it has put me off ever trying all inclusive again, the food was terrible, I didn't know what half of the stuff was, we went out and bought meals every night as we refused to eat there and would rather spend further money so we could enjoy our evenings. The friends we made at the hotel were the only thing that made this holiday enjoyable. Never again!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2014

We found area fine, hotel on the whole ok, staff mostly excellent with the exception of one barman who seemed to think we the customer were his to put in our place!!! I think he may have forgotten that we actually paid to stay there! We were paying for his service which was appalling, it was plastic glasses until after 11pm when you got glasses!! Was even told well you are paying for your drinks now! The food on the whole was ok but again if you were lucky you got a cleanish table but on the whole it seemed they thought we all ate like pigs no saucers for cups not enough small and I mean small mugs for juices!! Breakfast was a definite no no, never in my life have I been offeref chips for breakfast, such a shame because reception staff plus the onsite supermarket were excellent just the bald headed evening barman and the restaurant that let the whole place down, again not the staff in the restaurant but the amount of staff to cope, not good enough.

Room Tip: Some rooms could access wifi or you had to go to customer areas then all ok
Burgess Hill, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2014

Returned from this hotel last week. Had we been staying 2 weeks, we would have asked to change hotels as other people tried to do. All the negative comments written are absolutely true. Tired buildings unless you are in the annexe, smelly bathrooms, disgusting, tatty towels, uninspiring and unimaginative food, attitudes of waiters, etc, etc. Not a good place for a holiday! How it achieved a 4.1 * rating I have no idea. PS the pools were good.
Mardi

• Stayed September 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Club Lyda Hotel? Share your experiences!