“Reel Paradise is Real Paradise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of North Captiva Island Club Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Captiva Island
North Captiva Island Club Resort
4421 Bartlett Parkway, North Captiva Island, FL 33924   |
Fort Myers, Florida
“Reel Paradise is Real Paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Returned to Reel Paradise this February 2013 and had a wonderful time as always. This year it was 3 couples and the house is large enough that we each can have our space but cozy enough that we spent a lot of time relaxing and laughing. Love the pool, the tiki bar and all the amenities this house has to offer. It isn't directly on the beach but it is only a short walk away. Since we did not have the best of weather, it meant that we spent more time in the house itself and we had a great time. Reel Paradise is north of the airstrip on Mourning Dove Lane. We relaxed and relaxed. We will definitely return next year AGAIN.

Just a side note, used Island Girl for the Ferry and ate at Over The Waterfront one night.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

182 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Our family (3 generations) rented the Green Flash house from the resort for a week in mid-January. It was after the Christmas rush & before high season got into full swing, so it was very quiet and laid back on North Captiva. Just what our family was looking for. This is a great family destination, but only if you like to chill & want a low-key beach vacation. The resort helped arrange everything--airport transportation, grocery stop & ferry to North Captiva. It was our first time there, but we'd go back in a heartbeat. Your teens or college age kids might find it boring. No shopping or wild beach bars!

• Stayed January 2013
Wilmette, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

We have rented through NCIC for 11 of the past 15 years, so we have seen it grow, struggle, expand, etc. We rented two houses there last month which I will review separately. NCIC is divided, in my mind, into two operations: Booking/reservations/maintenance and to pool, tennis, kayak/fishing/bike/beach chair operations.

First booking/maintenance/etc. Booking is easy enough. We used our historical knowledge and the interactive map of the island (hard to find, but its good). We booked the houses with a few phone calls. Easy enough. That said, the website pictures of the houses are terribly out of date so beware. I'd only book a new house since maintenance is lacking in general. Another interesting thing is that if you have a maintenance issue they push you to a web site to log a request. While on vacation on a remote island far from everything, the last thing I want to do is whip out my PC to complain about something (broken chair, rotten smell, a rat, etc.), but this relates to the house - sorry.

The ancillary booking of water taxi and ground taxi is done through the world's worst website. I'm dumbfounded why they would use this website since its the least user friendly tool ever. Every event required me to make another call to straighten it out. Lastly, NCIC uses a "Welcome Center". It's really a staging area where they repack your groceries and queue you up for the bus to the ferry ride over (NCIC's pontoon boat is good and the staff friendly). I'd check out Island Girl since the "Welcome Center" kills at least 30 minutes of time on departure and arrival. Another interesting change is the continued drive for revenue. NCIC wanted to charge us for the weight of our luggage, including food and beverage. We were a party of 15 people staying for 10 days in two houses ($12,000+) so we had a lot of stuff. We pushed back and they agreed not to charge us, but its getting a bit too granular for my tastes.

There are a lot of other new rules, so inarticulately stated, that add to the stress level. I know its a business, but part of the business model should include help to relax vacationers, not make them more up tight.

The staff is nice, but they need more of it. Typical overworked staff attitude. I feel bad for them because they do try hard but on the busiest week of the year, they could use an injection of more people.

The Club property is in very good shape. The pool and hot tub were clean (other years the hot tub has been green) and the tennis courts were in good shape. The beach chair, umbrella, kayak, etc. booth was well stocked and well run. The pool bar was good too. In general the Club seems to holding up.

The island has changed a bit over time. Still relaxed but seem the locals are very uptight about golf cart etiquette. Really. Our kids, who look young but are licensed drivers were hassled by a local (he actually wore driving gloves on a golf cart) who followed them home and insisted on speaking to me. This is the same island I taught my kids to drive on 6-10 years ago.

Be ware, be beach has receded dramatically. It looks nothing like the pictures on Northcaptiva.com. Very narrow. The sunsets, however, remain perfect!

Room Tip: Request current photos.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Minneapolis
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Small u shaped bar by the 2 pools and hot tub. The food was average and then learned they have to ferry all of the food to the island, so that makes things more complicated for them and of course they want to limit the menu and options as a result. Very understandable. The facilities were very basic and not upscale by any means. We had a good time there, but it was colder than average and on 60 degree days the pool wasn’t warm enough to want to swim. We did take out the kayaks for a quick paddle and didn’t see anything special, but nice to see the harbor and some of the boats.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Indianapolis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

This seems to be a unique choice for a Florida beach vacation. I would not describe it as a resort, the North Captiva Island Club facilitates the rentals of private homes and provides the logistics to get guests to the island.Having been to the out islands of the Bahamas I much appreciated the sandy roads and tropical foliage on the island. Not having cars, but instead golf carts made it less important to being directly on the beach. We stayed at Conch House which had it's own pool and a nicely situated large screen TV nearby. I have shopped for rentals along the Gulf Coast and thought the prices to be pretty reasonable for prime season. This would not be best choice for people who want to dine out mostly. We were able to stop at Costco and Publix to bring in most of our food and libations.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Just returned from our second visit to NC. It's a great place but I think the standards of the club and some of the properties are slipping. We stayed at Manatee Manor. Notwithstanding its claims there wasn't a working oven, no WiFi for most of our stay, no VCR; problems with the electrical socket needed to charge the gold carts (only mechanised means of travel around the island) and loud construction going on next door. We contacted the Island Club but it took 3 days to get any response. They finally fixed the WiFi but not the VCR, oven or electrical socket. They did help with the construction noise but I guess there was only so much they could do so the power drills etc started again Satruday at 7:30am. Much as I love North Captiva this is no longer value for money and so reluctantly we'll consider going elsewhere next year. I was even considering buying there but I've come to the conclusion that its just bursting at the seams.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

My wife and I stayed with 3 other couples for a destination wedding at a home operated by the Island Club Resort for 3 days, 4 nights Feb 28-Mar 4. The homes are tall so you are above the trees, and we stayed at a managed home named Dolphin's Den. Let me start by saying we had a terrific time. The weather was the coldest the island has seen for quite some time, of course (37 degrees morning temp!), but it was the gusting winds that made it challenging. So much for the beach wear, and wish we had brought warmer clothes than a pull over jacket! There was a small pool and warm tub (never got above 95 and I think that's being generous), a golf cart, gas grill (new) by the tuck under garage stall. One flight up was the entry with 3 bedrooms, bath/shower with washer/dryer, and another flight up was the main kitchen, living and dining area that opened to a screened porch (a sliding 4 glass door would keep the cold out when it was a bit overwhelming), and then a spiral staircase to the upper deck that overlooked the entire island with ocean views on all sides! Beautiful! Dolphin's Den was perhaps a walking block from the resort entrance so it was very close and we shared the cart as needed. We brought enough food and covered some of the basics. I had heard from my research to bring bottled water because the island water tastes funny, but I didn't find that to be the case at all. Bottled water is fine, but the sheer mass of getting rid of the bottles themselves, I wonder if it wouldn't make much more sense to bring a filtered pitcher to put in the fridge and reusable water bottles. There were ample utensils and cookware, and a dishwasher if needed but we often washed dishes. The one pet peeve that I often have, especially staying at a rental or hotel, is that it be clean. There could have easily been more effort here and it was disappointing. As mentioned it was chilly so we wore socks and I had slippers for in the house but sometimes I wouldn't always have them on, and my white socks were pretty dirty on the underside in no time. Not much mopping or vacuuming and made me a bit jittery in the bathroom. The other thing was that, oddly enough, the house vibrated very subtly. Nothing you would notice until going to bed and feeling you were sleeping on a boat with rhythmic lapping waves. Everyone felt it. What we could figure out was the suspended shelving with pool pump (and air conditioner) below the poolside bedroom that was operating continuously. I did some research on Dolphin's Den but never saw this comment before. You got used to it as time went by. Lastly the resort itself was pleasant and well maintained. The wedding reception was held in the courtyard between two pools and a spa with a tent. It was well done and people there were quite friendly and very accommodating, the food was quite good also. Everything is really expensive, but it's an island and everything has to be brought in, so what should I expect?? We had a great time. I would have given it 3.5 stars if allowed, 4 if it was guest clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to North Captiva Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!