“Never eaten so well!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Colours West Hotel

and 1 more site!
You added The Colours West Hotel to your Saves list
The Colours West Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Evren Mh. Sahil Cd.Turizm Yolu No:12, Evrenseki, Manavgat 07620, Turkey   |
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Evrenseki
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
“Never eaten so well!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

We've just got back from a week at the Colours West with our 3 teenage boys. It was our first experience of All Inclusive - we usually go self-catering - and we had a great time. The food was the main reason for me! Not only did I not have to think about shopping or cooking, but the quality and choice of the food was amazing. As a vegetarian, with meat-eating sons, we were all well catered for; I couldn't believe the range of fresh salads, cheeses, vegetable dishes etc. I would have liked to have seen more fresh fruit (strawberries were abundant in the markets), and the desserts looked amazing but generally didn't taste so good. But I'm nit-picking. We were never at a loss as to what to eat.
The location of the hotel is very odd, slap in the middle of a building site with nothing but other, massive hotels around. But there is a market about 10 minutes walk away, and the beach is quite near, though it could do with a clean up. The first night I lay awake worrying there would be no way to entertain the boys, being in the sticks, but the buses were so cheap and efficient it was easy to go on day trips.
One criticism is that there is no information on arrival; you are told where your room is, and then have to find things out for yourselves. An information pack with hotel layout, activities, buses etc. would have been very welcome. I only learned on the last day that they do chips and burgers in the afternoon, and while it was of no interest to me, the boys would have loved it.
The hotel and staff are very laid-back which was a definite bonus. There are friendly, well-fed cats both around the pool and in the hotel which made the place feel more homely.
Entertainment was patchy. I know we were out of season, but one night with an English film would have been nice, and no effort to put on (they only did one film night while we were there, and that was in German). Though the animation team were friendly and very impressively multi-lingual!
I would recommend this hotel for a total break, I feel refreshed and relaxed!And the beds were the most comfortable I've ever slept on!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2014

This was a very last minute booking for my daughter and I. I have to say I was quite nervous given the poor reviews. However, I have to tell you that I had absolutely no need to worry. The hotel was very clean. In fact almost new looking throughout.
Reception - the reception staff were always smiling and happy to help. Their English was of a high standard and whilst I agree that there were more German and Russian visitors there were also English, Irish and Scottish visitors. We certainly didn't feel less catered for. And hey lets face it,you don't expect to go to a foreign country and expect to only see English ... if that's what you want go to Blackpool or Bognor Regis!!
Restaurant - The food was of a high standard always with plenty of choice... I cant understand why some reviews say the food was poor. Like all buffet food it wasn't gourmet but it was tasty and well presented all the time. The restaurant staff were always helpful and the restaurant area was spotless. On Wednesday evenings they have an Italian themed restaurant in the hotel. You must book a place at reception to reserve a place. We did not know this and missed out.
Hotel Bars - Drinks are freely available but if you want a cocktail its extra (around 5 euros). So stick to the locally produced drinks, beer, Raki, Rum etc if you want to avoid a hefty bar bill at the end of your stay.
Pool area etc There is an indoor and outdoor pool we went in February 2014 and the outside pool was very cold, but I don't think this would be the case from May onwards. The inside pool was lovely and warm. There was also a small gym annexed to the indoor pool and had free weights, cycling, running and cross trainers machines all free to use. There was also a very nice and warm hot pool. Next to the indoor pool was a Hammam and health spar but you have to pay extra for that.
Entertainment - there were nightly shows and whilst not the best in the world they were all part of the package and they made us laugh. They even had a Karaoke one evening which was fun for everyone.
Rooms - Our room was spotless and cleaned every day with fresh bedding and towels. We had two single beds which was great for me and my daughter, other people we met said they had double beds and single beds. Each room had a TV, Fridge, a separate toile and shower room with sink and hairdryer. All the rooms are air conditioned . There was a separate area to hang clothes but if I had any complaint it would be that there was not much wardrobe space. But to be honest in the height of summer how many clothes do you need!
Location - The hotel is a little out of the way but it only cost 8 Turkish Lira on the Dolmus for two to the centre of Side. The beach is a 6 minute walk from the hotel and whilst it was not open when we went there is a beach bar and snack bar and showers at the beach. I also understand that in the summer season a little train takes you from the hotel direct to the beach. The beach itself was clean and mainly sand although there were pebbles in some areas.

We went to this hotel in February 2014. It is a very popular hotel even at this time of year.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room that is not directly above the entertainment area or disco
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Halifax, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I was one of a party of seven , we all enjoyed the stay with very few problems.

The food was excellent although buffet style is not my favourite it was always well presented with absolutely lots of choices for every meal.

The Hotel was very clean (in fact cleaning went on all the time in the public areas) The staff were efficient and friendly.

The decor is indeed very colourful and quite good fun.

The only negative point is that the walls between the rooms are a bit thin.

Most of the guests were German, I think our group were the only English but everyone was very friendly.

I would recommend a stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

We are a party of seven adult friends and family, currently two weeks into a three week stay at The Colours West in January 2014. Before arriving, I read all the reviews here on Trip Advisor and elsewhere to pick up as much advance information as possible. Given the generally poor reviews and the very keen rates we had paid, we were prepared for the worst. I can safely say that most reviews could barely have been further from our collective experience. This therefore is my comprehensive review written while we are in the hotel to provide the nitty-gritty, detailed information that I wished had been available to us. During the writing, I have picked the brains of the rest of our party to try to represent the views of all seven of us - so in many ways it is seven reviews in one. If you haven't booked yet and just want the executive summary, just skip to the end.

Location
The Colours West was around 40 minutes transfer from Antalya airport - 20 minutes closer than I am used to for Side hotels. After a long day travelling to Turkey, we appreciated a relatively short transfer.

From Google Earth, and although it is still shown as a field before it was built last year, I measure The Colours West to be a little under a mile west from the centre of Gundogdu. It is also the penultimate hotel on the continuous coastal strip running ten miles west from ancient Side. The last hotel is The Kumul, directly next door, a roundabout in front of which marks the end of the made road so far. Beyond this the scenery is completely rural being a mix of forest, olive groves and farmland. I had a good hour's walk all around yesterday morning. It is actually beautiful walking country beyond the current extent of the main road.

The Taurus mountains inland are currently snow-capped and make a superb backdrop. There is one hotel, The Roma, between The Colours West and the sand dunes leading to the beach. Both The Kumul and The Roma are currently closed for the Winter but that did not stop two of our party being invited in for a tour of the Roma when passing a couple of days ago.

The beach here is broad, golden sandy and wild apart from the manicured sections for these three hotels. It is possible to walk the full ten miles to ancient Side along the beach and/or the new beach-front promenade which starts a couple of miles East at Colakli. Even this time of year, I found plenty of beach and juice bars open along the way to break up the journey. You would have to be very serious indeed however to walk both ways in one day!

The Colours West beach bar is currently closed being mid January and their private 'noddy train' service to and from it is suspended. I regret this as the weather has been and remains perfect for sunbathing and I am sure there would have been considerable interest in the beach bar had it been open.

In the absence of the noddy train, the walk to the beach is a little over 5 minutes around The Roma and through the dunes. There is a rocky headland a further ten minutes stroll along the beach to the West where there is the mouth of a small river with some small boats and a shack, selling drinks and snacks. The going rate for a large (500ml) beer here and elsewhere is €3. I was last there nine years ago with the Sural brothers (of Sural Su and now Perge beer fame) and was keen to revisit. Then this location was the middle of nowhere to me, now it is merely near the edge of nowhere:). It has not changed much and I would recommend the short walk along the beach.

Dolmusses are currently running every 15 or 20 minutes from immediately outside hotel reception via Gundogdu to both ancient Side and to the sprawling market town of Manavgat roughly the same distance away (each 4 TL). The journey takes between 20 and 40 minutes to either depending upon the number of red lights the driver chooses to stop at, if any, along the way.

The resort of Gundogdu itself simply did not exist a few years ago. Now it has been developed with dozens of luxury four and five star hotels and a centre consisting of a couple of hundred shops, barbers, hairdressers, tour offices, cash machines etc. in covered pedestrianised streets, bazaar style. We found prices in Gundogdu generally a lot lower than in central Side or Kumkoy, I am told because of lower rents and fewer tourists. A shave can be had for €3, a haircut for €4, a 40 minute full-body oil massage for €12 and everywhere there are currently piles of last season's fake designer wear priced at €2, €3 and €5 per item.

Prices are almost all shown in Euros as this is predominantly a German tourist destination but in practice any currency is accepted - I jokingly offered Brazilian Reals in a chemists of all places and the proprietor immediately reached for the newspaper for the exchange rate. Bring your own currency whatever that happens to be or take out Turkish Lira from a cash point either locally or at one of the many at Arrivals at Antalya. Bear in mind however that if you take out Euros or any currency other than Turkish Lira locally there will almost certainly be two conversion charges to pay.

Check-in and Room
Between the seven of us we had booked six rooms. This may appear extravagant but many of the hotels in this part of the World offer sole occupancy double rooms for no supplement during their winter season. This is one of the many reasons why we are here. The weather is another.

We arrived around 9:30 pm. An extra receptionist appeared in order to deal us and check in was smooth, fast and straightforward. Photocopies of our passports were taken and these provided almost all required information. We were issued with printed details of the all-inclusive offering and bracelets attached to our wrists to prove our entitlement. I will mention that I am not keen on hospital-style bracelets and prefer a less-degrading card-based system. However, bracelets are the norm in Turkish all-inclusive hotels. There are a tiny minority of guests I have noticed with different coloured bracelets who have to sign, and presumably pay, for their drinks.

I had already read from the sheet provided that dinner had closed at 20:30 and that 'Night Snack' opened at 23:00. We had therefore arrived between times. My mother asked the receptionist if there was any food available. I expected a reference to the printed sheet but no, we had our luggage labelled with our room numbers and were directly led to the main restaurant which was promptly opened up especially for us. We were handed over to one of the kitchen chefs. I have read about rare examples of this sort of treatment in hotels but I had never experienced it myself. The chef produced a beef stew in which the beef was so tender it fell apart in our mouths - scrumptious! This was a stunning introduction to our hotel.

When we returned to reception each of us was promptly escorted to our rooms and given the familiarisation tour: TV (20" flatscreen on the wall, 32 channels but only BBC World News and RT International in English), air conditioning (individual, split and quite a complicated but sophisticated remote control), shower rooms (generous size, walk-in, glass-screened shower, shaving mirror, shampoo, shower gel, shower cap, hairdryer, ample towels and towel rails, bar soap and wall-mounted foam soap dispensers sponsored by "Gloria Johnson"), balconies with sliding patio doors that cancel the air-con, minibar (replenished with just large bottles of water in the winter), wardrobe with around 10 hangers and curtain instead of doors, safe (large enough for a laptop but €1 per day extra), room phone and adequate furniture and storage. Of particular note are rather abstract works of art unique to each room. I believe mine is a goldfish. Overall, the rooms were spotlessly clean, modern and equipped, furnished and decorated to a regular 5 star standard. Again, we have absolutely no complaints here but a couple travelling with lots of luggage may find drawer space and the number of hangers limiting.

One of our party was given a family room which comprises a regular shower room, a single bedroom which must be walked through to reach a double bedroom with balcony off. My room is only other variation being on the top floor, set into the roof, and is the same width but a little shallower than a regular room and with a smaller balcony than the rooms on the floors below. In compensation I have fine views over the pool to the sea and get to see the sun set over the snow-capped mountains behind Antalya (the ski resort of Saklikent is located somewhere in that area).

Orientation and Facilities
The Colours West comprises three buildings numbered 1 to 3 from West to East and interconnected on the lower two floors (0 and '-1'). Buildings 1 and 3 are identical and comprise guest rooms on floors 0 to 4, while the centre building, 2, is home to the reception, lobby and lobby bar on floor '0' with guest rooms on floors 1 to 4.

The first thing that anyone notices arriving in the lobby is the bright colour scheme, as is the theme all over the hotel. There is no escape from colour in The Colours West and nowhere is one colour used where six will suffice instead.

The lobby has a mix of regular height 'card-playing' tables and chairs and lower sofas and armchair sets with coffee tables all in different bright colours. All seating here is comfortable and sufficient for the number of guests. The space above the lobby forms an atrium open to the roof with guest rooms off. Being aware of this design, we feared this space may have proved impossible to heat on cold January evenings as has been the case in hotels with a similar design. The air-conditioning system has proved very effective and we actually choose to sit away from the ceiling vents to avoid being overly-warm. By inference, when in cooling mode, I would expect the system be more than capable of dealing with the worst of the August heat.

The remainder of the public facilities are on basement ('-1') level with the main buffet restaurant occupying most of the footprint of building 1, the Turkish bath, spa, indoor pool, gym, TV room and 'mini club' in building 3 and snack bar, meeting room, shops and doctors in building 2.

The gym is equipped with 2 treadmills, walking and cycling machines, a good multi-gym and a large set of fixed free weights. The indoor pool, in January, is pleasantly warm but is on the small side for any serious swimming. I have yet to visit the spa but can report on the current pricing: a 75 minute 'packet program' consisting peeling, soap massage, face mask and oil massage for €35 while the 120 minute version costs €50. Fish therapy on feet, apparently all the rage here, would cost €15. These are all 'special', advertised rates but, as is always the case in Turkey, are open to further negotiation has has already been tried on us.

The shops comprise: general tourist grocery/convenience store for newspapers, suncream, rubber rings etc., watches and jewellery, hairdressers, fake designer wear and opticians. There is the inevitable photographers stand outside the entrance to the main restaurant but after a couple of rejections they now leave us alone.

Unusually, the 'vitamin bar' (freshly squeezed juices and juice cocktails) is run as a concession in this hotel and therefore is 'extra', i.e. not included. While on this point, other things not included are the room safes previously mentioned, bathrobes and slippers (also €1/day), cocktails made with imported drinks (though included if made with local spirits) and bottled wine. The included wine may be one failing of the hotel. The red is hard to manage, the white passable. The other drinks are fine, undiluted and generously served.

Finally, there is a disco and a small cinema on the landing below reception the latter of which, despite being closed currently, was opened upon request specially for us and we throughly enjoyed a private viewing of 'Best Marigold Hotel'. Again, another unnecessary act of generosity which was much appreciated and helps sets this hotel apart.

Food, Beverage and Service
Nowhere does this hotel distinguish itself more from its rivals than in food. Astonished by our welcome, the seven of us have never since ceased to be amazed by the quality, variety, tastiness and generosity of the food offering. Equally, nothing has irritated me more from previous reviews than the either fake and/or ignorant comments made about the food. Where to begin? I will try.

At lunch and dinner there is always a choice of at least two meats and two varieties of fish. We had had whole trout, grilled chicken wings, salmon steaks, beef in different sauces, curries, stews, etc. etc. etc. There is always a show-cooking section with meat and fish grilled and fried in front of us. As well as the usual amazing salad section, common in Turkish hotels, there is the considerably rarer variety of vegetables prepared in a variety of ways including two 'cauldron' hot pots of sizzling, spicy vegetables which have proved impossible for us to resist. There are cheeses, soups and twenty varieties of bread. Sweets range from traditional honey and almond based Turkish to extravagant gateaux. Then the ice cream! I do not normally like ice cream but I had had to make an exception.

The breakfast offering is equally generous with yoghurts, cereals, muesli, porridge, cold meats and cheeses, sausages, salads, self-service toasting machine, every coffee and tea imaginable and some more besides, eggs cooked to order, scrambled eggs, omelettes, crepes and the range of syrups, jams, honey from honey comb and honey not. There are daily specials, and, well frankly, the list goes on.

When it is not a mealtime during the day, there are chips, burgers, Turkish pizza among other things which change daily. I made 'midnight snack' (23:00 to 06:00) a couple of nights ago and made a note of what I found: soup, spaghetti and Neapolitan sauce, meatballs and veg in spicy sauce, chicken wings, Turkish pizza, potato wedges and the usuals teas, coffees and soft drinks.

Bearing in mind this is when the hotel is quiet, in the deepest out of season period in January!

Then for the best: on Wednesdays it is 'Fish Night', on Fridays it is 'Gala Night' and the Italian a la carte is currently open Mondays and Wednesdays.

We have experienced two gala nights so far and they have both been extraordinary. The restaurant is decorated in a Turkish theme, there are several stations of people and cooking things sitting on the floor in the tradition Turkish way - gozleme, flat breads, the spicy mince etc. Then at some point around an hour in, the lights go out and there is a parade of kitchen and waiting staff all around the restaurant with fire, sparklers, a huge gateaux carried ceremoniously by waiters and animation team in costume. The head chef leads the way banging together the most enormous pan lids. After the parade, the Turkish music starts up and the centre of the restaurant becomes host to Turkish dancing - staff and guests together - and generally much merriment. Search YouTube for The Colours West Gala Night as I will be posting a video of two nights ago there.

While less spectacular, the night was equally as stunning. The restaurant was dressed again but it was the quality and presentation of the food that stunned. There were little ramekins of mussel cocktails and other dainty, delicious starters, a huge tuna from which steaks were served, banana boats and little intricate desserts. The imagination and trouble in the preparation was beyond anything any of us had ever seen in a hotel anywhere.

All the time, throughout the hotel, wherever we sit, waiters are plying us with drinks from an extensive all-inclusive bar list. To us the availability of tomato juice (for bloody Marys) and baileys on top of the all-inclusive usual range of spirits, mixers, wines and beer is significant. The waiters and bar staff are all allowed to show their unique personalities and to me this demonstrates intelligent management and some very well-picked staff. Of course we have our favourites but it is a collective effort and the service in its efficiency, charm and humour cannot be faulted.

I will just mention one of the barmen who is apparently trying hone his 'show' techniques - tossing bottles and glasses, throwing and catching ice cubes as heigh as the ceiling and catching them in several glasses etc.. He is compulsive viewing upon an evening. He takes high risks and fails on a regular but unpredictable basis. Around once an hour he sweeps up the glass from accumulated mis-judgments. If you have a nervous disposition, it is best not to watch.

Entertainment
None of our party are ones for organised entertainment and I have long documented my feelings for animation teams being the blight of many an otherwise good hotel. In this hotel, yes, they are still there offering darts, bingo, 'boccia' (booles), silly evening entertainment and the like to those who want to participate but once understood that we don't wish to then we have been informed of the activities in English, in person, when they occur but with the politeness, intelligence and brevity that I have never encountered before. We have also been helped regularly by one of the animation team beyond the call of duty and so for now, I have to hold my regular tongue and just say they are a credit to the hotel.

Around and About
Ancient Side is breathtaking if you have never been before. The ruins are underfoot, in and around and generally part of the current life of the town. The museum, housed in the former Roman baths at the entrance to ancient Side is small but well-worth visiting (the museum book on sale there I helped translated from English to English - you should have read it before (!) - a number of years ago.) Opposite there is the recently restored ancient agora and a colonnaded street across the peninsula, just inside the city walls is the amphitheatre used for various performances through the Summer - I caught an evening of 'nostalgia' a couple of years back when various retied Turkish pop stars appeared and the whole audience - bar me - knew every single word. Then head down the main street or one of the two parallel back streets to the harbour, incorporating the original Roman harbour said to have received Cleopatra, and around to the Temple of Apollo - as surprising as the collective Side experience is in itself not to be better known in collective cultural knowledge.

Manavgat is a modern large town based on a large river. Upriver there are the famous Manavgat waterfalls which I found best seen on an organised tour. The town itself is thriving, very young and Turkish. If you want to get away from the Tourist shops of Gundogdu, Kumkoy and Side then here is the place to shop where the locals shop. Have a lunch of trout and chips by the river and you will have had a good day out. Market days are Mondays and Thursdays, add interest but are mostly a mix of fruit, veg and tourist tat.

If you are lucky enough to visit in June or early July then the chief attraction has to be the opera season held in the hot open night air at Aspendos - claimed to be one of the most intact Roman amphitheatres in the World. Inclusive bus and opera tickets are available from Side museum. Whether or not you like opera, a full-production of top international classical talent under the stars in an ancient amphitheatre is one of those magical moments that will live with you forever. I found Aida a little long but loved Tosca and La Boheme. Take your own cushion or pillow and sit high up at the back for the best acoustics.

Further afield, look into trips to Pamukale and Capadocia. Both will repay many times the modest tour cost and time investment. I have been on the Pamukale trips three times in winter and each was different and superb value - the current going rate for this overnight trip including hotel, evening meal an breakfast is €30 from the local tour offices in Gundogdu.

Summary
The Colours West is in a second line beach position but it is quite some beach! The hotel is well-located for superb shopping in Gundogdu, well connected by regular dolmus to must-see ancient Side and Manavgat and benefits from a relatively short transfer time (40 mins) from Antalya airport. There are ample local walking and site-seeing opportunities.

In every respect, the hotel at least delivers commensurate with its Turkish five-star rating and in many, especially in the quality of food, personnel and attentiveness, exceeds the offering of the competition.

We seven English guests find it difficult to pick fault at any price. At the price we have paid, we are simply embarrassed. If pressed I would say the guest room walls could do with a little more sound insulation, I would have liked the beach bar to have open, to see proper soup spoons and the giant Rubik's cubes on the roof rotating. That is it!

If you found this review helpful please give it a 'helpful' vote to aid the Trip Adviser community.

Tim Millea, January 2014.

Room Tip: If you sleep early, ask for block 1 away from the entertainment and disco.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Rotherham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

7 of us went in October including 3 kids. They do no cater for, or even expect, English people in this hotel. The food meant we all ate chips for a week or had to buy (expensive) snacks from the shop. Even though we booked All Inc we decided we would go out for meals but there was nothing anywhere near that catered for English either. There was no entertainment for the kids - they even turned the water slides off for the majority of the day. Probably a 5* hotel if you are German or Russian but not if you're English. Only positive note - it was clean! Would not recommend, has put me off Turkey for life and feel let down by Cosmos for putting this in a English brochure!

• Stayed October 2013
Mantta, Finland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

New, clean and colorful hotel, rooms are good. Food is very good and staff are very friendly. Only problems are that the hotel is far away from Side and hotel is not on the beach. But dolmus is driving every 5 minutes front of the hotel to Side and Manavgat and hotel have transfer to the private beach 2 times a week. About 1 km is big shopping area.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for a week in September 2013 there were 7 of us in total this included 3 children. When we booked this holiday it seemed appealing...stated free ice-cream (ideal for the kids) & 24hr Bar Service/Food & plenty of entertainment during the day & night... Well let's just say this was not the case this hotel does not cater for the ENGLISH they seemed surprised that we were from England when we arrived as they stated they do not get English people in the hotel!! the ice-cream was served only at lunch time for a short while & there was no selection (you had to have what they have you) we found ourselves eating very little as this hotel only caters for the Germans so our young children struggled only eating rice & chips for the week & the bar/snack was not 24hr's. They even had the children's slides in for only a few hours a day and we found them switching off the water when children were playing on them! The children's entertainment was vey poor & they charged for many of the actives they provided... There was a disco in the evening but again this was for the Germans there was no English or even Turkish entertainment. When we asked if they had anything the English could join in with the answer was we cater for the 'Germans & Russians'. Whilst I do not expect it all to be English as we have travelled to a foreign country I didn't expect it to be so German if I'd wanted a German holiday I would have gone to Germany!! The communication was very poor as none of the staff could speak with us due to the language barrier again we weren't German or Russian (these languages they did know)
The hotel was very clean though & the hotel was maintained to a high standard.
If you are an English family seeking a holiday where your children can join a children's club and be entertained during the evening I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013

Been to The Colours West Hotel? Share your experiences!