We stayed at Forest Hills for the first time in Oct last year and were quite disappointed to say the least. We expected much more going on, especially as it was the Schools October break.
As we were getting a very good deal, we decided to go back for a couple of nights in Nov this year. It was excellent. I think we knew what we were expecting this time, therefore the disappointment factor wasn't there. The hotel was fairly quiet, we had the leisure centre (which has been totally refurbished and is fab) to ourselves mostly. We ate in the Garden Resturant and the food was fantastic. Our 6 year old daughter, who is quite a foodie, even at her age, loved it. The warm bread is to die for!! Betsie is a total asset to this resturant, she is wonderful and so efficient!!
We had a room in the original part of the hotel, which we requested, so again new what to expect!! This part of the hotel is in dire need of refurbishment. The public areas are lovely, however the staircases and bedrooms badly need done up. The bedrooms in the newer part of the hotel have been refurbished, and look lovely. At this time of year the Rafters Bistro is quiet and was actually closed one day and only opened later the next. This wasn't a huge issue, however I'm unsure why some food it much more expensive in the hotel than in the Bistro when it is the same!!
Overall we throughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were great and very helpful.
I still think more of an effort could be made with the Rafters area - especially the decor and the atmosphere, however as the weather was good, it didn't bother us too much.
Great, relaxing couple of days - even with a 6 year old!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled within the breath-taking scenery of The Trossachs, Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Spa provides a luxurious getaway right on your doorstep. Our hotel in Aberfoyle is located just 20 minutes from Stirling, 40 minutes from Glasgow and less than an hour from Edinburgh, offering the perfect retreat from city life. Indulge in award-winning dining in the Garden Restaurant, or enjoy a delicious afternoon tea on the terrace while watching over Lake Ard. Our sumptuous spa is just the thing if you need to relax, with a fabulous selection of Elemis treatments on offer or, for the more adventurous, why not take to the surrounding hills or venture out on to the lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, LateRooms, Hotel.de, Hotels.com, getaroom.com and Agoda so you can book your Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel Aberfoyle
- Macdonald Forest Hills Hotel And Resort
- Macdonald Forest Hills Aberfoyle
- Forest Hills Hotel