“You get what you pay for.” 3 of 5 stars

You added Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge to your Saves list
Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge
Private Bag, Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu), New Zealand   |
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013 via mobile

People need to stop giving this place such a tough time, for $34 per night what do you expect? The rooms are a bit gruby but I've seen worse. The views of Mt. Cook from your bedside are fantastic and for a one night stay this place is perfectly fine.

The bar upstairs served decent food at a reasonable price and the portions were huge, so big I actually couldn't finish mine. We found the drinks to be extremely overpriced though - Crushed apple cider $10.50 per pint. Ouch! The service from the bar man was fantastic, the same can't be said for the people on reception though.

Stayed March 2013
Justin W, General Manager at Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property.
I don't really know how to respond to the "rooms are a bit grubby", we pride ourselves on clean rooms, I have completed many spot checks since your stay and have found the rooms to be clean and tidy, some of the rooms are getting new carpet soon so I can only assume you meant our carpet was a little old.
I pleased you enjoyed the view from your room, we offer the best views in the village for the price you pay.
Glad to hear you enjoyed our meals in The Chamois Bar, the cider you may find is quite expensive throughout the country compared to the likes of the UK.
I have passed on your compliments to The Chamois bar staff and also have dealt with the reception staff and I apologize for their service or in your case lack of.

Thanks again for your feedback and kind comments.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

We travelled with our 3 year old son. So, needed some extra room rather than just a hotel. The hermitage hotel was very expensive. So we booked at the backpackers lodge - unit with a private kitchen. It had great views right outside of our room. It was fine for the price. The rooms were a little old but were maintained fine. Good for a stopver in Mt. Cook. When we booked the room, we had requested for a later checkout. They said we can work it out with the front desk staff. But when we called on the day, we were not given the option for a late check-out. That kinda put us in a rush given that we were traveling with a baby.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay at The Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge and for reviewing our property on TripAdvisor,
I'm glad you enjoyed our one bedroom apartments and also the magnificent views from your room, in terms of the late checkout, check out is at 10am or late checkout 12pm this was a request only however the Front Office staff members should have informed you of this so I apologize.
I hope that you enjoyed the remainder of your travels around NZ and ma return to us some day

Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

This is just an average place and it is a backpackers' so even though we stayed at an individual room we had to use the communal kitchen where there were a whole bunch of backpackers cooking steak and other stuff - looks fun though.

Place is clean but for some strange reasons no cleaning was done even though we stayed for two nights. Not a big deal for me but quite unusual.

The bathroom is kinda weird - the shower foam is in a fixed container attached to the wash basin so you have to get out of the shower area to get soaped and get back in? I slipped and fell down twice doing this as the bathtub was slippery. Nothing serious happened to me but I can imagine it being a disaster for some older people.

That being said we looked around both on the internet and when we got there it seems that this is one of the more decent ones at this price and also for some reasons the motels in the area were so fully booked that even though we booked 2 months in advance we hadn't much other choice.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review our property,
Just so your clear for next time, you don't have to use the communal kitchen, we do have One Bedroom apartments that have a fully self-catering kitchen, however you may not have been made aware of this.
Daily services on the rooms are done for every private room that stays for more than one night, however if you lock your door from the inside then the housekeepers can’t get into the room which was in fact the case here.
In terms of the body wash, this is meant to be always in the Shower/Bath, so I'm extremely sorry about this as this is entirely our fault and again I apologize, as the room has an ensuite with a shower over bath you do need to take care when getting in and out, but that will be common sense to someone like you and others.
I hope you will come back again one day and give us a chance to rectify the minor issues you had experienced whilst staying at the Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge.

Kendal, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We are used to staying in a different range of backpackers but this is something else! The rooms were not cleaned properly and desperately need updating but that was okay compared to the kitchen! The weather was hot and had been for quite sometime but that did not stop the heating in the kitchen area from being on full hence it was uncomfortably hot when you were trying to cook!! The kitchen is too small for the number of rooms - maybe trying to get you to buy your food in the bar. There was only 1 knife to use to chop veg or meat that was dangerous as it had a loose handle - you had to hunt down who had the knife and then wait until they had finished so you could use it! The utensils were all over the place and the bins were hardly ever emptied hence one night we could not cope with the thought of fighting our way through everyone else trying to cook and made sandwiches in our room. Would not recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thank you for taking the time to review our property, I'm extremely sorry and disappointed to hear of you bad experience at the Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge, I understand exactly where you are coming from it's just a shame we weren't made aware of the issues during your stay with us, if we in fact had known of the issues raised then immediate action would have been taken. However if you would like to get in contact with me directly I would like to discuss them further.

Travelers are raving about these Aoraki Mount Cook National Park (Te Wahipounamu) hotels

Auckland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

our group of 12 stayed overnight at Mt Cook in February. Not able to afford the other accommodation options in the area, we booked in to the Backpackers Lodge. Still turned out to be the most expensive accommodation on our whole trip. Rooms were all ensuite and a reasonable size; beds were comfortable; bathrooms a good size. Also had a small fridge in the room. Seemed odd to us that the quad bunk rooms all enjoyed views of the glacier, but not the doubles, who paid more. The communal kitchen was well supplied with cooking utensils. Pehaps should be monitored better as to cleanliness. Great garden bar and restaurant venues

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to review our property, the whole area may be considered expensive for some but please you need to bear in mind the beautiful and remote location.
All of our room types have a wonderful view however only some come with the Wakefield view, (No glaciers can be viewed from the village).
Again thank you for reviewing our Backpacker Lodge and I hope you may return someday
South Molton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

This lodge occupies a fantastic location and my husband and I were lucky enough to be given an upstairs room with a balcony facing the mountains - by far the best view we've had in our five weeks in New Zealand. The room was comfortable and spacious enough, although the bed a little too spongy for my liking, and unlike a lot of places we have been the room didn't seem to have paper thin walls which is always a bonus!

The downside to this lodge is the communal kitchen. It is not large enough to accommodate the number of guests that stay here, and for that reason one of the worst kitchens we have experienced in a hostel. It is underequipped (for example, I counted only two chopping boards and there was no kitchen scissors or cafetierre - things we have found in other hostels), and a total nightmare between 6 and 8pm as there is only one workbench and some of the hobs don't work. People were constantly bumping into each other and fighting for space to cook and even eat (as there are a limited number of seats). With people carrying sharp knives around this might lead to an accident. For the price paid (almost double the amount we paid for a double ensuite room in other hostels) you would expect more room in the communal kitchen, or otherwise this should not be advertised as a 'backpackers' as well as a lodge.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Justin W, General Manager at Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review our property and for staying here with us at The Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge.
I'm pleased to hear you liked the view from our rooms, the beds are very hard to please some like them soft others like them hard, we went with the beds that are in the middle, but again you can't please everyone.
As for the communal kitchen I have taken your feedback on board and we are in the process of devolping an outdorr area, so that guests can cook/dine either inside or out. We are constantly restocking the Communal kitchen however some guests feel they need the untensals and equipment more than us and take them with them when they leave.
The price is still the cheapest private room with ensuite in the village, and the price shouldn't really come into it when staying in such a remote and beautiful area offering some of the best scenery in New Zealand, especially when your only a stones throw away from the 2nd tallest mountain in the pacific and surrounded by The Southern Alps Mountain Range.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We stayed at double room at Mr Cook Backpacker Lodge two weeks ago and the view of Mt Cook from the bar is stunning.

The room was clean and a bit old but, comfortable bed and hot water works well for shower.

While the kitchen facilities were above standard, when leaving the kitchen to go outside I scraped my arm on the metal fly screen door. The flyscreen had not been cut very well to fit the door and sharp edges were sticking out. As my arm was bleeding, I went to get a staff member for a bandaid or a cleaning wipe. As the reception was closed, the staff member seemed very annoyed to leave her friends in the bar to help me out with this. After explaining what had happened she didn't really express much sympathy, leaving me to wonder if this is something that happens often? While the door didn't look rusty, the cuts on my arm were swelling up so I asked to use a pay phone to get some medical advice. The staff member told me that there was no pay phone available at the hostel for guests and that we would have to go down the road to the YHA to use theirs (which we did).

While generally the facilities at this hostel were good, the attitude of the staff was not all that welcoming or helpful. The fact that there is no phone available is also an issue, given the remote location of Mount Cook and the general lack of facilities/shops in the town.

Room Tip: Ask at booking time for a room facing the Mountain rather than the car park.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us here at The Mount Cook Backpacker Lodge and for taking the time to review our property.
I was told of your incident the following day by one of the team members and had the Maintenance staff recut the fly screen and install it properly so no one else will get hurt. I'm extremely disappointed with the lack of service you received and if only I had known about it the following morning when you were checking out I may have been able to offer some sort of compensation.
We would normally have a pay phone on site (global gossip) however due to a thunder storm two of our five phone lines were down, we had to wait three days before a technician came to resolve our issue, however this does not excuse the staff member for the lack of sympathy. We pride ourselves on customer service and this sort of behavior is not the norm and the staff member has been dealt with. Again I'm extremely sorry and I'd like to ask that if you are considering coming back to Mount Cook please contact me directly and I'll ensure that you are well taken care of.

Thanks

Been to Mt Cook Backpacker Lodge? Share your experiences!