“What am amazing trip!” 5 of 5 stars

Auckland Region, New Zealand
49 attraction reviews
“What am amazing trip!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

This is a fantastic day trip, relaxing boat ride to the island, waterproof essential on some parts of the boat but that is a personal choice of where you sit! On the island you get so very close to the activity it is amazing to be there and see what is happening. There is a small boat trip from the main boat to the island, getting in and out the boat could be difficult for less mobile people. The sights and smells ( you will need to wear a gas mask in parts of the island as the sulphur smell is very strong ) are just brilliant, we had Nick and a lady as a guide, Nick was brilliant, the lass could be a bit more enthusiastic and not so involved talking to a friend but there was a lot of info given out about the island. Then the boat ride back. Brilliant!

Rotorua, New Zealand
5 attraction reviews
“What a day!! Loved it !!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I would recomend this tour without hesitation! we spot a lots of dolphins on the way to white islands and that was the sign of a good day! The Volcano is very impressive, 2 hours is still not enough to see it all, but the crew from Jeejay know what they are talking about and let you see the most of it!!After walkin on it you will be back in the boat for lunch and ready to see around the island. And we have been lucky enough to see more dolphins on our way back! An amazing day :-)

Australia
6 attraction reviews
“What an experience! Amazing! Worth every penny! Loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Fantastic tour of an active volcano 49km's out to see from Whakatane. This was the main attraction for me on my New Zealand holiday and the only place I know of where you can walk into the crater of an active volcano. The boat was comfortable, first class, clean and exceeded our expectations. It takes about 1hr 30mins to get to the island. Travelling out to the island was fantastic and made it more amazing when we saw the dolphins swmimming at the front of the boat. The captain of the boat veered off course to get to a pod so that everyone could experience the dolphins. The volcano tour into the crater was informative and interesting and you get a history run down of the island. You actually walk up to the inner-crater's edge and watch the steam vents billowing out and the smoke of a lava crater (could not see the lava from land). They provide you with a hard hat and a gas mask which I did have to use as in certain areas in the crater the sulphur smell and steam is pretty bad. You are provided with a small but appropriate lunch pack back on board the boat and we got back around 3.30pm.This is a MUST DO tour if you have an interest in volcano's and worth every penny. Highly recommend it and I just loved the tickets that you had to take to the boat to get on...so unique and appropriate. (you will see what I mean if you book a tour).

Note: if you are looking for accommodation in Whakatake the White Island Tours also run the White Island Rendevous Motel and their tour office is at the Motel with a lovely cafe for everyone to eat breakfast and have a coffee before heading on to the boat. Unfortunately we were not aware of the cafe as I did not do my homework and we had breakfast down the street when we drove into Whakatane from Rotorua (1hr 30mins drive). Would have liked to have had breakfast in the cafe.

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Interesting experience.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

How often do you get the chance to get this close to an active volcano? Not often I guess most of you would answer. It was worth the long boat ride and the rather tricky island access. I would advise it isn't suitable for the very young, the elderly or the infirm as there is a bit of agility needed but worth the effort. My only advice to the tour group is perhaps some sort of entertainment for the boat (tv?) as it is a long trip. Caught up on some sleep at least. I would also love to see smaller groups transported by jet boat. Now THAT is something I would do again!!!

Lisbon, Portugal
6 attraction reviews
“Fantastic Trip to White Island”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

Amazing Trip to White Island - very good organized by the Team. By luck on the way back we saw hundreds of dolphins.

Visited December 2012