“The people of St. Lucia made the Hotel !” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

You added Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 246, Beanfield, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Spanaway, Washington
“The people of St. Lucia made the Hotel !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

The rooms I stayed in were nice and clean and I had a very nice view. The grounds were very nice and kept up.The food was very good and we had a variety of things to choose from every day. The bars were nice as well and gave you a lot of drink choices. The disco was pretty nice as well and had a comfortable set with alot of chairs and beds to sit on. But to be honest the best part of the hotel was the people they would not let you not have a good time. The activities were a lot of fun and Tommy and Anson made sure you got involved in the morning. And Natly made sure of the safety of every one on the water slides.The bartenders are kind of like celebrities with Small J, Big Ted , H, Jada ,and Junias . Gregg , Tony , and Kimberly were friendly and helpful at the front desk. Tessa, and Howard were very good at waiting and made sure every ones glass was full and made sure we were comfortable. The ladies at the boutique were very friendly . Monica taught me some creole. Also Samali and Leona along with Vickey were always helpful in finding things in the shop. The entertainment at night was always fun and entertaining with some very good musicians and dancers from the area. The ones who coordinated did an excellent job of making sure every one participated and had fun. Jeva, Jamara , Samantha , Zowella , and Macellus were amazing dancers and helped teach different steps from salsa to a dance called Soka. And the security at the hotel even helped in the enjoyment of the vacation . D . Cassius made sure we saw his island and made sure we were safe and were having a great time. So over all some people say this isn't a five star hotel , but to me the people there made it five stars and the best value I have seen in a resort.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
Warrington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

Me and my husband stayed at coconut bay for 12 nights and had the best time ever. We arrived late on a sunday night after being delayed 7 hours due to the volcano. The first benefit was the very short distance we had to travel in a taxi to the hotel the second was being greated with a glass of champagne when we checked in. We made our way to our room and we where so pleased when we opened the door to a nice cold room. My husband was a bit unsure of what kind of view we would have as we where in a ocean view harmany room, I must say when he opened the curtains the next morning he was shocked at how nice the view was. Room was lovely air con kept us cool the whole time.

I was a bit worried about the food as my husband is fussy. We both ate so much and we thought the food was great we never had a bad meal we ate in the chinese twice and the italian 3 times all the other times we ate in the buffet which had a great choice.

The staff where very helpful too, we booked for trips the the adventure desk and each trip i would recommend highly. We did whale and dolphin watching and we did see both, we also got a private driver for the day to take us to the cricket which was great as we could both have a drink and this was grest value for money, we also did a private island tour which was amazing and also we did the ATV tour which we thought wasn't going to happen due to the tour operater not the hotel staff but thanks to the hotel staff we got our money back and still got to do the ATV just a day later than planned. Thanks so much.

The only down side was the seaweed on the beach but I was expecting that so it didn't bother me and i'm not much a beach lover anyway sand gets everywhere. They did clean the beach everyday which I thought was great. Pools where great as was the lazy river.

Overall we had a great honeymoon our time at coconut bay was amazing. We would most certainly recommend and we would definatly go back.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband and I chose St. Lucia as our honeymoon spot! We couldn't have chosen a better place if we tried.

As everyone that's been to Coconut Bay has already said, THE PEOPLE ARE WONDERFUL!! From the moment we got picked up from the airport to the minute the shuttle returned us to Hewanorra to fly home, we were treated courteously. It was natural for everyone to be nice, it was genuine and we appreciated it so much!

Our room was located on the Harmony (Adult) side. We were in room 455 on the 4th floor. It was clean and neat. There were sodas and water in our refrigerator when we arrived. The cable was similar to what we're used to in the US.

Even though we don't drink, we were very pleased with the nonalcoholic choices. Small J was WONDERFUL! The speciality restaurants had good menu choices and the food was flavorful and the portions were adequate. We had a server named Hannah at the Coconut Walk, which is the resort's main restaurant. She is so sweet and helpful. She was always smiling!

We had a couple's massage at the Kai Mer Spa. Cynthia and Renee were wonderful. We were very relaxed, almost too relaxed, afterwards.

We went on a tour through the Sunlink Travel Agency. Our tour guide's name was Gilyana. She was SO much fun! Our driver's name was Oswald--Ossie for short. He was very accomodating! That was a long day, but it was SO worth it. We went for a boat ride, a swimming excursion, visited the drive-in volcano, and a plantation tour.

The grounds at the resort were well-kept and groomed. It made a beautiful backdrop for the 500+ pictures we took at the resort.

All in all, I would recommend Coconut Bay Resort & Spa to any and everyone! I have told everyone who asked how our honeymoon was, that this is a wonderful island to visit. We plan on visiting again!

Thank you so much Coconut Bay!!

Kim & Rob

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

Our party of four booked two Premium Harmony rooms through American Express for a week. The lobby is comfortable with many seating arrangements, some of which should be replaced.
The first night we were put in the Splash side due to overbooking. The room was painfully colorful with lots of bugs, hard beds.
Day 2 switched to Harmony - Bring a Converter! (and don't count on it working, it blew out) The bathroom in 443 smelled of sewage. The water in our refrigerator was only replenished twice all week after many phone calls. The bed was hard. The sofa was greasy looking. Extra pillows took 2 days to arrive after several calls. The view was nice, the safe worked though it was small.
The buffet selections were limited, the two restaurants were good. You need to book them a day in advance, check the date on the ticket to make sure it is correct.
The bartenders were understaffed but friendly, there is no waitress around the pool.
The lazy river had a disturbing amount of dead bugs in it as well as many leaves. The pool area was kept clean, the beach was a mess and there was a few feet of really thick seaweed at about two feet deep in the water.
The spa as of day 3 when we decided to make a reservation was booked full through the end of the week, they had 2 openings which we took advantage of ... Book early! Skip the pedicure the water was murky, the facial was wonderful.
We booked a half day excursion to the volcano and botanical gardens which was really neat.

For the money I would recommend this to a young family with kids, but personally I would not return. See my other reviews for some of my favorites.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Belllevue, NE
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

The Coconut Bay is an all-inclusive resort located at the southern tip of St Lucia. I found the rooms and amenities to be below average. Here's why: the website depicts a beautiful oceanfront, scenic vistas, and brand-new facilities. Wrong. The beach is on the windward side and has too much sea grass and rocks to really enjoy. The property is located 2000 feet from the departure end of the international airport. Fine if you like that, but be ready for lots of takeoffs between 2-6pm. And just outside the fence of the resort the local area is fairly slummy. For example: past the beach property limits are 3 low-rent houses and a bar/gift shop. I would not go there for good food or spirits. Finally, the resort has little for active vacationers. The waterpark is more suitable for 8unders and the ocean sports are off-property. Although if you like snorkeling, 200 yards out offer good coral reefs and there are two islands (shown on the website from some unknown vantage point - not the resort's) that have very good snorkeling sites. But you have to find a private boat driver to take you over there.
Over all I would describe this resort as the "Motel 6" of St Lucia all-inclusives. Here are the pluses and minuses:

Plus:
1) Close proximity to the airport (2.5 minutes)
2) Good snorkeling
3) Kids activities
4) Two speciality restaurants are decent, if unspectacular

Minus:
1) Close proximity to the airport
2) Beach is for sunbathing only - very dirty water
3) Food is average at best (the buffet is not air conditioned and is poor quality)
4) Rooms are hot during the day and most lack a bathtub

If I had to pick an all-inclusive, I would do one of the Sandals (there are 3), or the resort in Smuggler's Cove. Only go to Coconut Bay if it is cheaper than the others and price is your main concern.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
Oshawa, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

A great location with the cooling winds coming off the ocean and good staff and service.

Our issue was mainly with the adjoining doors between the rooms in the adult section. We were unlucky and the people in the next room were loud late into the night and early morning and even sleeping with earplugs did not drown out the noise. It was mentioned in an earlier review where people who were partying couldn't understand the dismay of their neighbours but believe me, you can hear EVERYTHING. We spoke to some other people and they had a similiar experience in that they heard much more than they ever wanted to, if you get my drift. When our noisy neighbours left after 5 days, the people who moved in, were very quiet . I know that people go on vacation for different reasons but please keep your partying to the party areas.

The rooms were spacious with a shower only. Not a big deal and always very well cleaned. They do need some updating as others have mentioned but I didn't see any mold in the bathroom. Make sure you open your window vents when you shower and that should help. The air conditioning in our room only went down to 70 farenheit, no lower.

I am a very fussy eater and I was disappointed in the buffet at dinner....we ate there twice and every other time at the specialty restaurants where the service was amazing. There was not a lot of choice in the buffet at dinner for me and if you are a vegetarian, even less. We didn't eat at the buffet for lunch, usually the grill and it was good...fast service when were there. They do barbecue lunches at the pool (twice) and on the beach (once) and they were good too. All restaurants are non-smoking. Just outside the water slide/lazy river area, there was a gentleman cutting open coconuts and giving them away (with or without rum) in case you are interested in sampling. For the bars, there are large menus of drinks posted at the swim up bar, including non alcoholic drinks for the kids. If you don't see one that you like, the bartenders always have a special drink that they make. If you are a beer drinker, they have the local beer, Piton, and Heineken on draft.

Coming from a culture where recycling is king, there does not appear to be ANY recycling here and there are lot of plastic cups and plates going into the garbage. Also, for those individuals who can't pick up after themselves, the beach would not be cleaned of glasses each night.

In a lot of other places, you have to line up for reservations for the restaurants. The great thing here was that you just walked up to the front desk and made your reservation. You were supposed to do it 24 hours in advance but we spoke to people who made the reservation same day for the asian restaurant. You can book in the specialty restaurants as much as you want.

IF you plan on using the internet, you pay approximately $10US/day to use WIFI or .50/minute to use their internet.

We did enjoy the fact that the resort seemed small and it was lovely to walk around and have everything so close. We also enjoyed the fact that we had a 'resort credit' which paid for our two tours which were great.

It was easy to get a place on the beach in the shade without playing the 'towel' game. There have been comments about the seaweed. We took water shoes and didn't have any problem. The water temperature in May in the lazy river and the ocean was nice and warm. Don't know about the pools, never went in but my husband tells me that the water was warm in the water slide as well.

A previous review mentioned that the rules for keeping the kids and adult sections separate was not followed. I agree, including the restaurants. The reservations for families were supposed to be 6:30 and 7:00 but as late at 8:00, families were coming in. Just be prepared for this.

My last comment relates to tipping. We had read in other reviews that tipping is not allowed. We tipped for great service (bars, restaurants) and it was appreciated. You still got great service without it but we wanted to show that we valued the service. Keep in mind that your tour guides and drivers are not employees of the resort. I don't know exactly the pay scale but I don't think $10 or $20 for a full day being guided around with good humour and attention to your interest and comfort is out of order.

When departing, we left for the airport less than two hours ahead of our scheduled flight...this was great, no waiting around for hours at an airport. We did note that some of the flights leaving for the US or UK, everyone had their carryon searched and then full body searches. They didn't do this for the Canadian flight but it did seem to take a long time for those flights to get boarded.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

I have travelled extensively through the Caribbean over the past 20 years. This is the first time I have ever written to complain! On March break 2010 my family and I travelled to the Coconut Bay Resort in St. Lucia. We paid for and expected an "Ocean View" Room.

As the attached photos clearly show the room we were given certainly did not have an Ocean View!! (An water you see is the Lazy River or Pool) While we were at the resort I asked to be moved to a room with an ocean view, but was told that they were at 100% capacity and could not offer me a better room.

I decided to make the best of it and contact my travel agent (TripCentral) and tour operator (Air Transat) once I returned to Canada. After sending them a detailed account of the trip including photos from the room’s balcony I was sure they would agree that I did not receive the ocean view and refund me the premium I had paid. I had to wait nearly 3 months for the tour operator to tell me that according to Coconut Bay I had indeed received an ocean view room!!! I will let you judge if my room had an ocean view! Nowhere does the literature or website indicate that these are "partial" or "obstructed" ocean views! I simply demand to get what I paid for, nothing more and nothing less!!.

If the parties involved consider the room I received to be "ocean view" then they are simply using misleading practices to charge a premium for something which should be regular price!!

I am a reasonable person and don't make unreasonable requests, I didn't even make a big deal of the ants in the room and daily bug fogging every evening and I have to say inconvenience as well as possible health hazards! But to pay for an upgrade and be ripped off by the hotel simply is too much! Without an apology and a refund of the premium from the hotel and tour operator I will simply post my experience on line and let you be the judge.

As far as my future holidays they certainly won't be at Coconut Bay and Air Transat!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!