“Best vacation with teenagers!” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Alpharetta Ga
“Best vacation with teenagers!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We had two families with a total of 4 teenage boys that had a blast! We went over the week of spring break. The weather was perfect! The hotel is 5 minutes from the airport, but the planes are not an issue while at the resort. The food was fab! We have stayed at all inclusives in the Domincan Rep, Mexico, and Jamaica, but this one by far had the best food and drinks! The frozen drinks are made by hand (not poured from a machine) and the beer is Piton (which is a local beer and is pretty good). Big Ted in the lobby bar is the best! He kept our "Bubba Kegs" full at all times. Tips are appreciated but not expected like at other all inclusives! The teenage boys loved the slides and lazy river! The resort gives you 2 free rounds of paintball for every room, and our boys loved it! We had 3 rooms on the first floor on the splash side, 2 of which were adjoining, which made things a lot more comfortable, for the rooms are not overly big. They had 2 queen beds in each (which were a little hard and the pillows were a little small) and a small rattan love seat and chair. The TV had lots of american channels. The bathroom was a little interesting...the shower curtain didn't quite cover the shower, which always led to a bathroom flood and there is not an air conditioning vent in it, just a window. The air conditioning was okay, but didn't get the room cold, just cooled it off enough to not be hot. We were only in the rooms at night, so this wasn't a big deal. We did the zip line, which was fun, but hot. I'm afraid of heights, but did all 11 lines and survived it! We also took a taxi to the town of Soufriere and went snorkeling in Jalousie, which was beautiful. (It was exactly like a cove we went to in Hawaii). You rent the snorkel equipment at the beach for $11 and hour. We saw all kinds of fish, and even saw 2 squid that we scared and they inked us! We took a cab into the town of Vieux Fort to a t-shirt shop where you can get some St Lucia shirts for $8 and to a Grocery store for bottled water (the resort sells it, but expensive, although their tap water is fine to drink, I just like bottled water) and sunscreen. The beach is a little rough, but fine to dip in. There is some sea grass, but not a huge issue. The pools were great! They are clean and not crowed at all. There is a hot tub that is big and hot! My oldest (17 years old) said that this was his all time favorite vacation, and he loved it, and believe me, he never says anything nice!
Suggestions: If you are a beer drinker, bring a Bubba keg (it will keep you from having to keep going to the bar). Also, make sure to bring a converter for the outlets.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

Just returned from a wedding at Coconut Bay. Had a great time. Our group stayed on the adult side (Harmony) and enjoyed the quiet and privacy. The staff was great (Especially Junias the Bartender), the nightly entertainment was fun, and the location was great. The resort in general wasn't the best one I've ever stayed at but the staff made it the best vacation yet! Hope to return soon!

Erie Pa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

After a stressfull flight and long line in customs, it was wonderful to arrive at Coconut Bay so quickly. The staff work very hard to keep your vacation wonderful. The food was very good. We tried the Italian restaurante one night for my 40th birthday. I did ask for an extra appitizer but never received it. We did not try Silk. We really enjoyed Bites Beach Grill for lunch. They were supposes to be open all evening but seem to close by 5pm which really disappointed my 14 year old son. Another disappointment for my son was the lack of basketballs. Every day he would ask at the Buzz and also at the Childrens area and he was told that they were out but no one was playing basket ball at the courts. I was with him each time that he asked. The Buzz really is a joke. I never saw any teen activities going on the whole week we were there.
We took three excursions. All booked through Serenity Tours. I would highly recommend Serenity!!! We took the ATV Tour, The Tranopy Tour and The Private Island Tour. All of the tours were wonderful!! John or his wife Caroline confirms each day the time of your pick up for the tour and where the pick up will be at your hotel. On the Private Island Tour, Caroline sends John with wonderful home made fresh fruit juices, rum punch and wonderful treats that she made. He also brought sugar cane from his back yard to try. We saw so many beautiful sites and ate at the Beacon Resturante overlooking the Pitons. We went to the Drive in volcano and the Toraille Waterfalls and a beautiful botantical garden. We saw the Black Pearl from the Pirates movies. We usually do not like to return to a vacation spot we like to try different places but meeting John we feel like we made a wonderful new friend and would love to return and see him again.
The Pirates night was a lot of fun. The staff really works hard making it such an enjoyable evening. They spend hours setting up and it turns out lovely.
Be careful on the tile floor, my son slipped one night and split his elbow up badly. Luckily I had a bunch bandaids, we had to leave for the private island tour befor the nurse was there in the morning but when we returned she cleaned him up nicely.
The waterslides are a lot of fun as well as the lazy river. The breezes off the Atlantic on the beach is wonderful. There is a nice drink selection at the bars.
We did the couples massage on the beach. It was a 4pm appointment. It was okay but I probably would not do that again. I felt that they were rushing to go home. And the 2 therapist talked to each other during most of the massage.
Overall, a nice family resort.

Ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at this resort March 29 to April 5, 2009. We were a couple, and went with 2 single friends, who each had their own room. We booked through WestJet Vacations.
The flight to St.Lucia is 5 hours long. This is a long time when you are squeezed against your neighbour. Fortunately, the flight attendants were quick with the drinks.
Our check in at the resort was the fastest I have ever had. We got there at about 2pm, and 2 of the 3 rooms were ready. I had sent an email prior to arrival requesting that the rooms be near each other, and they were. The third room was available by the time we had finished our drink in the lounge. The staff had brought our bags to our rooms. Everything was really quick and efficient.
The staff at the resort were really friendly. We never had a problem with them. I had to call maintenance because my in-room safe wasn't working. They quickly came up and fixed it. On the second day, my friend noticed some bugs in her bed. She called to have the bedding changed, but that did not solve the problem. I understand hot climates have bugs, but she had a small infestation. After some legitimate complaining, she was moved to another (better) room. The problem was solved and we had no further bug issues.
There is no night life at this resort. It seems to be a lot of families and quiet couples. Every one seems to go to bed at about 10pm. Our single friends found this a bit disturbing. The adult lounge is a bit strange, given that it has about 5 beds in it. The disco is a small round room in the lounge. There is no atmosphere.
The bands were OK. It was really nice sitting out on our balcony listening to the saxophone player. Very romantic.
Karaoke was a dud. I felt bad for the guy running the show. No one was there and he had to keep singing song after song. I got up a few times just to give him a break. I am a horrible singer, but no one was around, so it didn't matter.
The carribean night was the best. If you arrived on Saturday and this was your first show, you would have been disappointed the rest of the week. We ended with this show, so we were happy about that.
The beach in the adults' section is good. It is relatively clear and you can walk out for a while. The one in the family section is full of weeds. There is no snorkeling at this resort. Other reviewers indicated that snorkeling was available 5 mintues from the resort. While it is clearer there, there is nothing to see except sand. For the best snorkeling, go to the base of the Pitons. I recommend taking a taxi. The resort has a tour for $60 US per person. We called a taxi (who stayed with us for the duration) at a cost of $120 US for the 4 of us. Much better and cheaper.
We did the island tour. We spent the day travelling the island. Please note that to do this, you should not have a weak stomach. The roads in St-Lucia are windy and hilly. All those twists and turns make everyone get nauseous to some degree.
Overall our stay at Coconut Bay was good. The staff were friendly. It was very quiet and relaxing. We always got chairs down by the ocean, no matter what time we went out. There were always chairs by the pool. The a la cartes were never full and easy to get into on any day.
We had an outside couples massage. Fantastic! I wish I had done this every day.
I tried kite surfing. It didn't work out, because I went on the only non-windy day. It is very windy at this resort, all the time (except the day I wanted to kite surf).
I spent a bit of time in the water park and lazy river, but the kids drove me away. One curiosity that I don't understand is why the swim up bar is not in the adults section. We sit in the pool many days enjoying the drinks with other guests. We were getting rowdy and loud, and there were all these kids around. Not the best environment for them.
I am happy I went to St-Lucia and stayed at this resort, but I would not return. It was good, affordable and a pleasurable, quiet trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Just returned from a wonderful holiday with friends. The resort was all I expected and more. Very close to the airport. I was impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and the general manager was very pleasant ( he is from Mississauga). The food was plentiful and a good variety to satisfy even the picky appetite. There was entertainment every night with outdoor barbeques. All in all a great holiday. Everyone at the resort was friendly. The beach bar manned by "Junias" is a must. Lot's of fun and great drinks. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Your trip will not be complete without a trip to the tiki bar. He always makes everyone feel like they are a guest in his home. Junias' antics are not to be missed..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

A bright and colourful treasure-chest of memories returned with us from St. Lucia and the Coconut Bay Resort and Spa. My friend and I are sincerely grateful for the enriching experiences we had there. The thrilling adventure of a zip-lining excursion was well balanced with the luxury of rest and relaxation in a beautiful setting of casual elegance. The Staff were all exceptionally hospitable and adept at creating a comfortable, pleasurable environment for Winter-weary travellers. We found the performance of all services there to be nothing less than inspiring. Management and Staff took time and effort to show visitors their desire to provide a happy, safe, and unforgettable holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!