“Nice, with some problems” 3 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Ontario
“Nice, with some problems”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

We stayed at this resort March 29 to April 5, 2009. We were a couple, and went with 2 single friends, who each had their own room. We booked through WestJet Vacations.
The flight to St.Lucia is 5 hours long. This is a long time when you are squeezed against your neighbour. Fortunately, the flight attendants were quick with the drinks.
Our check in at the resort was the fastest I have ever had. We got there at about 2pm, and 2 of the 3 rooms were ready. I had sent an email prior to arrival requesting that the rooms be near each other, and they were. The third room was available by the time we had finished our drink in the lounge. The staff had brought our bags to our rooms. Everything was really quick and efficient.
The staff at the resort were really friendly. We never had a problem with them. I had to call maintenance because my in-room safe wasn't working. They quickly came up and fixed it. On the second day, my friend noticed some bugs in her bed. She called to have the bedding changed, but that did not solve the problem. I understand hot climates have bugs, but she had a small infestation. After some legitimate complaining, she was moved to another (better) room. The problem was solved and we had no further bug issues.
There is no night life at this resort. It seems to be a lot of families and quiet couples. Every one seems to go to bed at about 10pm. Our single friends found this a bit disturbing. The adult lounge is a bit strange, given that it has about 5 beds in it. The disco is a small round room in the lounge. There is no atmosphere.
The bands were OK. It was really nice sitting out on our balcony listening to the saxophone player. Very romantic.
Karaoke was a dud. I felt bad for the guy running the show. No one was there and he had to keep singing song after song. I got up a few times just to give him a break. I am a horrible singer, but no one was around, so it didn't matter.
The carribean night was the best. If you arrived on Saturday and this was your first show, you would have been disappointed the rest of the week. We ended with this show, so we were happy about that.
The beach in the adults' section is good. It is relatively clear and you can walk out for a while. The one in the family section is full of weeds. There is no snorkeling at this resort. Other reviewers indicated that snorkeling was available 5 mintues from the resort. While it is clearer there, there is nothing to see except sand. For the best snorkeling, go to the base of the Pitons. I recommend taking a taxi. The resort has a tour for $60 US per person. We called a taxi (who stayed with us for the duration) at a cost of $120 US for the 4 of us. Much better and cheaper.
We did the island tour. We spent the day travelling the island. Please note that to do this, you should not have a weak stomach. The roads in St-Lucia are windy and hilly. All those twists and turns make everyone get nauseous to some degree.
Overall our stay at Coconut Bay was good. The staff were friendly. It was very quiet and relaxing. We always got chairs down by the ocean, no matter what time we went out. There were always chairs by the pool. The a la cartes were never full and easy to get into on any day.
We had an outside couples massage. Fantastic! I wish I had done this every day.
I tried kite surfing. It didn't work out, because I went on the only non-windy day. It is very windy at this resort, all the time (except the day I wanted to kite surf).
I spent a bit of time in the water park and lazy river, but the kids drove me away. One curiosity that I don't understand is why the swim up bar is not in the adults section. We sit in the pool many days enjoying the drinks with other guests. We were getting rowdy and loud, and there were all these kids around. Not the best environment for them.
I am happy I went to St-Lucia and stayed at this resort, but I would not return. It was good, affordable and a pleasurable, quiet trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2009

Just returned from a wonderful holiday with friends. The resort was all I expected and more. Very close to the airport. I was impressed with the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff and the general manager was very pleasant ( he is from Mississauga). The food was plentiful and a good variety to satisfy even the picky appetite. There was entertainment every night with outdoor barbeques. All in all a great holiday. Everyone at the resort was friendly. The beach bar manned by "Junias" is a must. Lot's of fun and great drinks. I highly recommend this resort.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2009

Your trip will not be complete without a trip to the tiki bar. He always makes everyone feel like they are a guest in his home. Junias' antics are not to be missed..

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
Victoria, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2009

A bright and colourful treasure-chest of memories returned with us from St. Lucia and the Coconut Bay Resort and Spa. My friend and I are sincerely grateful for the enriching experiences we had there. The thrilling adventure of a zip-lining excursion was well balanced with the luxury of rest and relaxation in a beautiful setting of casual elegance. The Staff were all exceptionally hospitable and adept at creating a comfortable, pleasurable environment for Winter-weary travellers. We found the performance of all services there to be nothing less than inspiring. Management and Staff took time and effort to show visitors their desire to provide a happy, safe, and unforgettable holiday.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends
Edmonton, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

My husband and I travelled to Coconut Bay for the first week of April. It was our first time in St. Lucia, but third in the Caribbean. We really liked this resort for a few reasons. First, it was right near the airport (literally a 5 minute drive), so we were on the beach right away. We loved that the resort was very family oriented (tons of young families), and not a big 19 year old spring break party scene. (the one poseur who was there was pretty out of place and provided us lots of amusement laughing at his posturing). The resort seemed quiet most of the time, so there were always beach chairs, and rarely lineups for drinks or food, etc. The staff is so wonderful- friendly, cheerful, always trying to help you out. They even have a photographer who randomly appears at fun times, takes pics, and then offers them for sale in the lobby (no high pressure sales, don't worry!) In the afternoons there were poolside activities like bingo, volleyball, and the like, and in the evenings there was often really good musical entertainment, usually followed by karaoke. There were also a few "theme nights," like western night and caribbean night. There are 2 waterslides and a kiddie club, as well as the "Lazy River" where you tube through a little passageway- lots of fun, watch out for the waterfall!

You can book a la cartes (asian or italian) 24 hours before, and they do fill up early. We ate at both, and thought they were both really good.

The beach isn't necessarily the best for swimming. The waves are a bit rough, and there's not that lovely blue Caribbean water we all picture, BUT if you walk towards Vieux Fort on the beach, you will come to a beautiful beach (in front of the Reef Cafe) where the waves are less rough, the sand is white, and the swimming is great. It's only about a 10 minute walk, or you could cab it. You can rent chairs at the Reef Bar for $5 plus a refundable deposit of $40. If you don't want to walk that far, swim in front of where the spa is. The beach isn't great, but the swimming is better.

We walked out to the resort gate one day and found a taxi to take us on a bit of a tour. We did Soufriere one day, and went to Castries the next. Our taxi driver, St. Paul, was great and offered us different ideas on what to see than what we had read about. You negotiate price before you get in the cab, and tip at the end (10% is sufficient).

Our only complaints- My husband is a "busy" guy and not a beach guy, so he found the lack of excursions or other things to do besides the beach a little boring. I loved the quiet relaxing time with my book on the beach. Also (and this is not the resort's problem really), the people of the world who rush out to the beach at 8AM, throw their towel on a palapa and the chairs around it, and then don't come back for the entire day, while the rest of us roast in the sun without access to shade.

Money- we changed our Canadian to EC, which turned out to be a mistake. Everyone operates in US dollars, so you might as well take that (although sometimes you get a better deal paying EC).

All in all, I would definitely go back to Coconut Bay.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Dorking,Surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2009

Day before we left I broke my ankle. Virgin were marvellousat Gatwick and informing hotel of our new circumstances.The hotel was definetely not 5 star but our interconnecting rooms were spacious and cleaned every day.Staff very friendly and couldn't do enough for us.Our children,17 year old son and 11 year old daughter weren't seen for hours on end.Being all inclusive was BLISS.Food was varied if sometimes a bit repetitive.We had one dinner in the Chinese and Italian Restaurants. Both were nothing special.Evening entertainment was fun to watch.Other guests varied from Americans,Canadians,Mexican,French and of course the English.
Both children said it was one of the best holidays they've been on.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2009

This was my first trip to Saint Lucia and it was incredible. First off this resort is great. They have a travel center where you can set up excursions and they book it and arrange everything for you. Everyone there wants to help you. Whether its the people at the front desk, the waiters/waitresses, everyone. The chefs are make some great food as well. They have events and entertainment throughout the day so you are never bored. The theme nights such as country and Caribbean night were so much fun. The bartenders are excellent, Small "J' is the man!!! Up at the fancy restaurants the food is great. You feel like you are so far away from everything. Service is great and environment is very romantic. At the Italian restaurant Gina's awesome. When your glass is low on wine you'll never notice because before you know it she fills it up. Its really an amazing experience and if you are going to Saint Lucia definitely go on the "couples escapade" and the "zip lining." Oh, and the splash side of the hotel is the best if you can get a ocean view on the third floor. Awesome. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!