“My brothers wedding” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa

You added Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   PO Box 246, Beanfield, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
Save Up to 50% on Winter!
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Trinidad
“My brothers wedding”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I visited coconut bay resort for my brothers wedding I stayed for 2 nights 3 days. We stayed on fourth floor on the Slash Side the room was wonderful with a great view of pool and the ocean from our balcony it was breathtaking. My 2 year old could not wait to experience the pool and the water slides was amazing. The swim up bar was great wit lots if options on non-alcoholic and alcoholic drinks the staff was pleasant and very helpful to our needs. There are 5 restaurants to choose fir dining but reservations has to be made, the main buffet food was good it lots of options to choose from, breakfast there was marvelous with all there fresh fruits and juices to choose from and a great omlets maker she was wonderful, the surrounds was very clean the lobby was comfy and cosy wit lots of activities to do it was never a dull night at the resort. The wedding part was just the best beach wedding ever the hotel took care of everything decorations the cake everything and it was like a fairy tale the staff did an extremely wonderful job, would recommend anyone to have a wedding there just perfect. My time stayed was great and were planning a girls lime to come there again would defiantly keep coming back to Coconut Bay Resort, wonderful experience

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (974)
Ridgeley, West Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

If you are a healthy adult at least potentially interested in watersports, my strongest advice to you is to book your vacation elsewhere. I have made eight trips to all-inclusive Caribbean resorts over the last 26 years, and in my experience none rank worse for the watersports than Coconut Bay. You do not know what you are missing unless you have spent time at a more inclusive all-inclusive resort with a more amenable waterfront. Do not deny yourself the joy of unlimited sailing, paddleboarding, and resort-run excursions for snorkeling. This is the Caribbean: make the most of your exposure to such uniquely beautiful water and wind. Do not spend thousands of dollars here to get pretty much the experience you could get elsewhere, but lacking the watersports.

I was concerned about the lack of breadth of watersports suggested by Coconut Bay's profile on TripAdvisor, but shame on me for not researching more thoroughly this aspect of my vacation I care so dearly about. I had my travel agent make a call to verify I could windsurf. "Yes, they have that available, but you'll have to pay extra for it." I didn't even trust that advice, so I had my wife make an additional call to confirm. "My husband will be bored if he can't access watersports equipment like sailboats and windsurfing boards. Are those available?" "Not sailing, but we have windsurfing and kite surfing. You'll pay extra." So, I'm not as happy about that as having it included, but I can just recalibrate what I'm expecting to pay for a good vacation. Coconut Bay's equipment rental rates, by the way, are outrageously expensive compared to value of 'free' equipment many other resorts will include in their package. You're still paying for it elsewhere, of course, but it remains soothingly hidden by their comprehensive all-inclusive rates.

No one at Coconut Bay warned us they have an off season for watersports. If you do your homework, they mention the off season on their web site. I've never encountered an off season for water sports at any other Caribbean resort, and I've ALWAYS come in the June through August 'off season.' For this trip, I arrived in late July and stayed through August 5th. When I inquired about renting a sailboard, all their equipment had already been packed away. They weren't willing to set something up to accomodate my request, even though they were still on duty until the final day of my vacation. It was not clear whether the official last day of their season was the sunday before my arrival or the sunday before my departure. We were told all of their paddleboards were broken and being sent off for repair.

In the meantime, a lot of French/ European guests had brought their own kite surfing equipment and at least a half-dozen kiters were having a fantastic time out there. Not only was I denied access to any equipment, I had to watch the French having 10 times more fun than I was. This certainly added to my frustration.

Otherwise, what can you expect here as water sports? They have four sea kayaks to be shared between a couple hundred guests. I enjoyed these and spent at least an hour a day paddling, but that's all that was available. On a few occasions I got tired of waiting for a kayak to become available and I went to the resort's gym to work out my frustrations. (The gym is pretty well equipped for the Caribbean, but half the air conditioning units were broken and it was pretty hot.) The kayaks often aren't put on the beach until 10 to 11 am. For most of our week you could borrow snorkel masks and snorkels, but not fins. This beach faces the Atlantic side and has strong winds and a lot of waves. It is not particularly good conditions for snorkeling, especially without fins. Frankly, it's not even good for beginners to learn windsurfing or sailing due to the minefields of shallow reefs and significant waves. Nearly every other resort I have stayed at has better reefs, water depths, and varieties of fish than this part of St. Lucia. (Only Aruba was worse for snorkeling, since its coastline lacked reefs near that particular resort. It had the best sailing and windsurfing conditions as compensation.) Somehow swim fins showed up on our last day, as soon as the regular watersports guys left for their vacations.

The watersports attendant who issued vests and masks spent his entire shift staring at his cell phone. I witnessed another guest get her kayak stuck up against the rocks of a breakwater within sight of his shack, and he never noticed her problem. I had to help her transfer the kayak over the rocks to the downwind side to get her on her way again. The staff is not attentive or watching out for you. This guy doesn't even help you drag the kayaks out to the water. Most resorts have a barrel full of soapy disinfectant for dunking used life vests and snorkels. You won't get that courtesy here. You're sharing the sweat and the spit of other guests unless you wash it out yourself.

Other disapppointments:

We were disappointed with the limited snorkeling off the beach, so we signed up for an off-site boat tour including snorkeling near the Pitons. We set our alarms for 6AM and rushed to get through breakfast, and were ready for the 8AM departure time. There was no one working at the activities desk yet and no transport waiting. What gives? Oh, sorry, not enough other people signed up so the trip is canceled. A competent and caring place would have called us the evening before to let us know. We felt stood up, and I really detest having to set an alarm while on vacation. We never got another opportunity to try again.

Most people wouldn't care about this, but the bartenders can't make a drink consistently. You shouldn't care too much about it either, but I ran an interesting experiment. I ordered a drink called a T.K.O. two or three times a day during my stay. When it is done well, it is a limey rum drink with an odd muddy green color and a chunk of real lime squeezed in. Done wrong, it ranges from red and candy sweet to orange and simply bitter. At least three bartenders were looking to a reference board for the ingredients although a T.K.O. is a featured drink on their suggestions board. More than half the time no lime was included. If they lack ingredients I'd rather be told the drink is not available than to get an an unbalanced concoction. I just kept ordering this mediocre drink out of morbid curiosity to see what I'd get.

Beach quality: festooned with sea grass, occasionally spotted with horse manure since entrepreneurs rent horseback rides on the beach. You'll see a massive green tractor dragging a rake around several times a day trying to keep up. Every other beach I've seen in the Carribean has better sand. Most have fewer rocks underfoot as well, and safer swimming areas with lower waves.

Teens: We brought our own, daughters aged 13 and 16. We wanted a resort big enough that they'd find peers to adventure with. We acknowledge that teens aren't necessarily keen on hanging out with their parents. The girls were bored stiff until the third day when they met a couple of teens from the UK. A significant proportion of the guests are french-speaking, and although I'm bilingual, that doesn't help my kids. The language barrier means fewer opportunities to mingle with other guests. Most children were pre-teen. My kids got more enjoyment out of meeting the brits than anything the resort itself provided. I think we got lucky in who they eventually met.

No place is all bad, and those willing to ignore ocean-oriented water adventures entirely may be quite happy at Coconut Bay. Positives about this resort:

- No motorized watersports, so it is a relatively quiet beach. If you want to jet ski, water ski, take a ride offshore to a reef for snorkeling, go paragliding, ride a banana float or wakeboard, etc., you must go elsewhere. If you don't like the drone of motors, this is the place, except for the beach-cleaning tractor and the planes from the nearby airport. (Say you get in trouble on your kayak and need help. There's also no motorboat available to rescue you.)

- Not much other development in the area. This beachfront is huge and there are no resorts to either side. It has good views to the side, up and down the beachfront, and across the water to the adjacent islands. There are some handicrafts vendors but they're rarely as persistent as at some other resorts.

- Good pools, especially if you have small kids to watch over. Most guests were not looking for ocean-oriented adventure like I was. This resort is as good as any other if your prioritiy is sitting on your butt all day. It is better equipped than most other Caribbean resorts if you like the idea of the lazy river pool and the water slides. It's what you're going to need to take advantage of if the ocean isn't what draws you to the Caribbean. Most US water parks still blow this away. Be warned that every Do Not ... sign I saw was violated by some other guest at some point. This included carrying glass into the pool, dropping food into the pool, watching young kids risk cripping injuries by diving into 3-foot deep areas, smoking where prohibited - absolutely nothing is enforced. Some people like that.

- Calabash is a good restaurant. I recommend trying to book every meal there until you've memorized its menu. The alternatives are adequate and on par with most other Caribbean resort hotels.

- Most staff was very pleasant. Whoever we worked with at the front desk areas, whether calling to confirm watersports or scheduling the side tour, seemed barely competent considering how badly those experiences turned out. The ladies at the bar or waiting tables were almost always attentive and cheerful. The male bartenders weren't as likely to give you attention or get your drinks right, but at least they were having a good time.

Room Tip: Second floor or higher rooms have a balcony with a railing. It is easier to dry your bathing suits...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
Dear Looptuna...thank you for your review regarding your stay here at Coconut Bay. I apologize that we did not meet your expectation regarding the watersports portion of our resort. We have a unique setting here on the Sothern Atlantic Coast of St Lucia. We have the most amazing trade winds 10 months a year that provide for some of the worlds best Kite Surfing and wind surfing experiences. We have professionals from around the world who train right here for months at time. As you may be aware Kite Surfing is a very difficult sport to learn and thus takes hours of lessons that our professional instructors teach during season. We attempted to keep our Surf Shack and school open an extra month becasue there were periodic days of wind however by the time your stay arrived we had shut the operation down until the beginning of October due to almost no appropriate wind days. People are still welcome to Kite surf on their own of our beach though. As far as motor sports; Coconut Bay is situated in the most beautiful Government protected area that does not allow for recreational boating or jet skiing. We believe this to be a huge asset to our laid back and casual resort atmosphere. A quick note we do have a rescue boat and Wave runner on hand for all of our customers safety.
Your commments on our beach side water sports which include Kayaking, snorkelling and paddle boarding are taken and we appreciate your input as we continue to evaluate all of our activities and improve them daily. I just returned from checking the beach and we are fully equipped with snorkelling fins as well as masks and snorkels. I apoogize if the fins were all out when you were snorkelling. We will be adding more "toys" to our inventory throughout the year and continue to look to guests like your self for further input.

Thank you again for your many positive comments and the constructive input we all appreciate it!

Cheers
Mark
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

This was by far the best holiday my family has been on! The food was outstanding and there was unlimited choices! Not only was the buffet restaurant to a very high standard, but the restaurants within the hotel were even better, especially Calabash! As soon as we arrived we were greeted very warmly and all staff were absolutely fantastic from the moment we arrived until the moment we left! The rooms were great and Pearl cleaned them perfectly every day! Honey and Leone were FANTASTIC bar tenders and make an excellent team together! They took a huge role in making our vacation even better as their personalities and liveliness made everyone around them happy! They both should be rewarded tremendously! We also noticed that the other bartender Wade was very lovely. I am lost for words as to how to describe this holiday but all I can make certain is that it was the best holiday both I and my family have been on!

Worms, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We booked our one night stay through a local agent . Firstly the price we paid was much higher than other who booked through agent abroad. Having arrived at 12 noon we were informed that entry even to reception area for LOKALS is at 3pm.Foreigners are allowed in earlier! Waited in the heat and finally arrived at reception to told that room is not ready. We finally got the room after 4:30pm.Food was a below average Buffet, Cocktails tasteless .Room was ok but shower area basic and falling apart.Reception staff especially management unfriendly. Room-safe could be carried away from the room! Overall i could say a lot more negative things. Breakfast was only thing good.

Room Tip: If you book this Hotel , then do so with request of 3rd or 4 floor. If you wish a cheap and cheerful...
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

At first glance the resort is pretty average. However, what this resort lacks in infrastructure, it makes up for it with excellent service. The resort itself is pretty much up to date. I loved my room, excluding the tiny ants that came to visit. The view from my room had a beautiful view of the Atlantic Ocean. There were at least three pools, including an adults only pool and a large, fun family pool. If you are looking for strictly romance, this is not the place. It is a very family friendly place. I was here with my boyfriend but didnt mind because we were there as part of a wedding taking place. Lastly, certainly not least, this resort is literally five minutes from the airport.

Room Tip: Request a room with an ocean view.
POS
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I visited Coconut Bay for 5 nights from July 17 2013 with my family and had a great time. We stayed on the 3rd Floor Splash Side and my kids 8, 11 and 12 year olds had great fun at the resort. They loved the Grill and the Slides, this I believe was the highlight of their trip. They looked forward to the pool each day. They did not really care for the beach since we live on an Island. The staff was very polite and friendly and did their best to make us feel welcome. Many thanks to Valencia the person who was assigned to clean our rooms for a an excellent job and going above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel special.

The resort inclusive food and drink policy is exactly that. Food from as early as 6 am and as late at 1 am. Alcoholic drinks start around 9 am and ends around 1 am. The only issue is that you have to pay an additional fee for "Premium Drinks" which includes Jack Daniels, Jonnie Walker Black Label, Grey Goose Vodka Etc. But overall the brands used in the inclusive packages are good. The cocktails were well received, my favourite was the Dirty Bananna, however the Gin and Tonic was good too.

My wife and I had a massage at the spa and was very satisfied with the service. The location of the spa could not be better. It is right on the beach. While getting the massage you can hear the waves crashing on the shore which gave a unique and serene feel to the mind. The Spa is a MUST for anyone wanting to relax.

Travelled with a large group (16) as we had more family members with us as we were celebrating 3 birthdays and two wedding anniversaries and the resort catered to our requests for seating during lunch and dinner.

We tried the French and Chinese Restaurants both were good however I personally rated the Chinese higher than the French. We ate at the Buffet most days and while they had very good lunch and Dinner the Breakfast was not so attractive after the first 2 days. The main reason is that for breakfast the menu seems to be repetitive. We all agreed that the Buffet needs to have a rotation on the breakfast Menu.

Take not that the hotel 120 Volts outlets are Europe standards and cannot accomodate standard USA 120 volt electrical devices without an adapter. We had all our electronic devices recharged at the front desk.

All in all everyone had a great time and we are looking forward to doing it again.

Room Tip: Stay on the 3rd or 4th Floors If you want a view of the Ocean and or if you want to sit in the balco...
Dunmanway, Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed at Coconut Bay from the 21st of July to the 2nd of August and, being my first holiday abroad, I don't think I could have stayed in a better place. The views were amazing, there was always something to do and the staff were some of the nicest people I've met.
The rooms were kept cool and the food was great, all in all a comfortable stay. I think what made the stay really worth while though was the attitudes of the staff. They were all so friendly and weren't afraid to have a laugh with you.
Spending a lot of time at the adult bar, I feel that Wade, Honey and Leone all made my stay at the resort as good as it could have been. I didn't feel awkward around them and they made me feel like I was at home. However, I was disappointed that Junius wasn't there as he brought a unique atmosphere to the bar. I would also like to acknowledge Jimmy, Mitch, Akon and Andrea for making my stay positive and being friendly and willing to put up with my loud Irish bursts just as well as the other three.
I think that if I was to go back to St. Lucia, I would definitely consider Coconut Bay Resort & Spa as my primary accommodation.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!