“Good value and lots of fun.” 4 of 5 stars

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Vieux Fort
Calgary
“Good value and lots of fun.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

My husband and I really enjoyed our stay at Coconut Bay Resort even though we are usually 5 star travellers. This is not a luxury resort but it was good value for what we paid and we kept our expectations in check. The food was good, staff really friendly and always willing to help. The different pools were nice so you could enjoy playing with the kids in one but enjoy some quiet time in the adult pool. The beach was lovely but the turtle grass wasn't great for swimming. We walked 15 minutes to a local beach just down the road which had the crystal clear water, white sand, no turtle grass and a really good restaurant called the Reefs. There were lots of activities (tennis, gym, kayaks, beach and pool volleyball, slides, lazy river, spa etc.) and nightly entertainment. We were never bored unless we wanted some down time.

We stayed in the Harmony section in an updated room with ocean views from the 4th floor. We found it to be quiet, clean and comfortable with good service provided by our room attendant Shirley. Our friends with children stayed in the Splash section of the resort but their rooms were not yet updated. All the rooms face the ocean but your floor will dictate your view.

The resort although 90% full did not feel busy and we only had to wait in line at the pool restaurant during lunch. We did book reservations at all the restaurants and found Calabash (Creole fusion) to be our favourite. The shrimp appetizer, crab cakes and both soups were very good. The tenderloin and fish were very good and the service was excellent. The Asian and Italian restaurants were not as good but some of our party did have a good meal. The pork at the Italian restaurant was good and the tomato basil soup was outstanding. The service provided by the staff (Yvonne at Silk) was always outstanding. At the Italian restaurant the staff even moved our table to the patio so we could enjoy the breeze. A new chef just started when we were there so I would expect there will be some changes.

There were lots of entertainment options with nightly shows and activities. Being part of a group we enjoyed dancing the night away in the night club, playing pool and partaking in the local rum (drinks are not watered down). Our friends with kids found the kids club to be great and the kids loved the freedom to play and all the activities provided. They provided each child with a photo album of pictures from their time spent at the club. We took the kids horseback riding on the beach with a local, enjoyed a day touring the sulfur springs, snorkeling at Anse Chastanet and went on the sunset cruise. Overall a really fun and relaxing stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better ocean view but lower floors are easier to run in and out of for families...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Hello Calgary! Thanks for the note on your stay. We are thrilled you enjoyed yourself here at Coconut Bay. The resort has so much to do as you pointed out...The reef is a great spot, Im sorry you didnt get to head north on our beach as it extends for 1 uninterrupted mile where the white sands and clear water are magnificant.
We hope that you can make it back for another visit here in Paradise.

3,219 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (739)
Trinidad
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My stay to coconut bay resort and spa was really good i had a great time with my family and jaccob and jason was really nice to us we took part in all the activities and won most of them this hotel is fun for a family to stay, it was clean and the room were very nice .I WILL SURELY COME BACK HERE AGAIN :)

Melville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Earlier this year my husband and I stayed a week at the Coconut Bay beach resort. We had a wonderful time although the resort was an old resort, it was clean and in good condition. We had a wonderful view from the room and we stayed on the adult side which is a wonderful option. We all love children but it was nice as an adult couple to enjoy the quiet and privacy. The food was excellent and the service was terrific. I would especially like to commend the head executive chef Adrian and his staff Janice, Macarina, Martha and Leo for a wonderful dining experience, the drink service was exceptional lead by lobby bar supervisor Donna D., Fatta and Cassina and pool bar bartender Junias. The hotel transfers to and from the resort were well organized and timely.
I would like to recognize the resort manager Selah Williams for an all around job well done.

Mike & Rochelle

Room Tip: All rooms face the beach
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Myself along with two friends recently stayed at Coconut Bay for two nights before checking into our villa rental for the remainder of our vacation. We took advantage of the free shuttle from the airport to hotel, which is literally a 10 second ride away. Upon arrival we were greeted and handed rum punch and lavender scented cool towels. We checked in and were escorted to our room. At this point it was obvious that with the exception of the lobby, the resort was quite outdated. The pictures online make it look much nicer. When we arrived at our room it looked like it hadn't been updated since the 80's (with the exception of the TV) and the smell was horrible. It was a very musty/mildew smell. We called down to the front desk and they said that they would have someone come and spray air freshener. We told them that we didn't want to just mask the problem, that it should be fixed as it isn't healthy to be breathing that in. They said that they would look into a room change and to check back with the manager in a few hours. We headed down to the pool to hang out while we waited. When we checked back with the front desk, a bell hop told us that there was a new room for us to look at. This room happened to be two doors down from our current room. When we got to the room it didn't smell at all so we decided to move over to the room. When we got back to our old room we noticed that it now had the same smell as the new room, so they apparently came in and sprayed the air freshener while we were out. We already moved our bags though, so stuck with the new room. At this point we had to go back to the lobby to see the the manager for new room keys. Our experience with her was the only unpleasant interaction that we had with an employee in our two days at the resort. When we got to the desk we let her know we'd be switching, but I informed her of the air freshener being sprayed to just cover up the problem, she just ignored me. I asked her if there was anything on the other (adult) side of the resort as they put us on the family side even though we booked a room for three adults. She said, no and that they were at 100% capacity. I asked about the following night and she gave the same answer. I can honestly say that after staying there for two nights, there was no way that they were at capacity, I'd estimate 50% maybe. We did end up meeting another employee that night who went above and beyond to try and get us to the adult side of the resort, but by the 2nd evening (right before dinner) we decided it wouldn't be worth it to move when we'd be leaving the resort shortly. The food at the grill and the buffet was average. Everything was fairly bland and trying to get salt on anything was an issue as all of the salt packets at the grill were practically melted and the shakers were all the same even though they did add rice for the humidity. The Italian restaurant was slightly above average even though they served my caesar salad with a piece of pizza from the grill on top of it like a giant crouton. The creole restaurant was excellent, although not creole. The fillet that they served with a gorgonzola cream sauce was cooked to perfection. Unlike some all-inclusive resorts, the drinks here were not watered down and plenty of different varieties of alcohol were offered. Also, something else I noted was that when the employees weren't working they were hanging out all over the resort at the restaurants, bars, etc. I don't necessarily care, I just found it odd as I've never experienced this before. There are also tons of activites going on every day which we didn't get to take part it because of our short stay, but others who we talked to who were there longer enjoyed them.

Room Tip: If you don't have children with you, request a room on the "Harmony" side of the resor...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Chicago, thank you for your review. I apologize that your first room did not meet your expectation. The humidity in the Caribbean is always a challenge. We are in the middle of a rooms upgrade and hopefully will be completed by the end of September. We are grateful that you enjoyed our restaurants and will pass along your comments to the team.
We appreciate all of our guests feedback and continue to strive to improve in all areas of our business.

Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

My wife, son and I just spent a week at Coconut Bay on the Splash family side of the Resort. Overall, the experience was good. Our fourth floor room was spacious and clean and we had a nice view of the pool and ocean. However, bathroom was small and outdated. AC in the room didn't work well and nobody came to fix when called. In room fridge not cold enough and never stocked well. The food was good, and the three specialty restaurants, especially Silk, were very good. Drinks were good, but bartending was inconsistent from bar to bar. The staff was generally very friendly and accomodating. Maid service was on typical Island Time (slow and never enough towels). Resort gets high marks from us on nightly entertainment in very nice, open-air lobby, and for availability of excursions. Airport experience was much better than other Caribbean Islands and it was only 5 minutes away. Overall, resort was clean, but a bit weathered and outdated in places. Waterpark, lazy river and paintball were fun, but not closely monitored or managed. Off-peak season, so pools and beach were pretty quiet. No Wi-Fi in room and spotty in lobby. On-site photographer available and was very good. Seemed like they could use additional staff for cleaning and maintenance. We would definitely recommend to a couple or family as a good value option, but don't expect luxury.

West Hartford, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My family and sister's family visited this resort the week of July 9th. I will first say, I will not stay at this resort again, but I will definitely visit beautiful St Lucia again, what a gorgeous island!

I gave this resort an poor score vs. a terrible score, because my kids had a fun time in the waterpark during the day. There was plenty water play for them, but their favorite was the lazy river. They spent all day going around in that thing. They were not bored and left us alone to relax poolside That is the extent of my good review.

The resort is very outdated, you see that everywhere you go, in the pool area, the rooms, the restaurant. It is in need of a renovation. If you decide to stay here, bring mosquito spray, or you will be bitten up. I read this in a reviews before I went, so I was prepared with my Off spray. We saw many people with so many bites, it was frightening. They do spray the property to try and get rid of the Mosquitos, but it works for only a short time. The main restaurant is open, so we were constantly fanning away mosquito.

The rooms were spacious, but again, very outdated. If you still decide you are staying at this resort, you must bring your bath towels because what they have in the rooms are so old, over-washed, that it feels like paper on your skin. I do hope the manager of this resort reads this - throw away those old towels and get new towels that can absorb water. Staying here is not cheap, we should expect good towels.

The food was ok, I enjoyed my meals. There was always something there for the kids. The Beach grill was ok for lunch, but the food variety was limited. It was also very slow service. If a manager is reading this - since the menu is the same at the Grill, make it self-serve, use hot pans to keep the burgers, hot dogs, and chicken warm.

The bartenders were great and fun, they did a good job entertaining the crowd, by singing and dancing. There was no entertainment after 8 pm - nothing... Boring! Nothing to do for the kids or family events.

My other gripe, is that this resort was overrun by locals. I felt the resort was like a Coco-Keys ( a water park here in the United States). Anyone can come in on a day pass. That was a turnoff for me.

I can go on and on. This is one vacation we went on, and we were ready to come home. It just was not spectacular. We stayed at Beaches in Turks and Caicos last year, and although the room was a little outdated, I felt comfortable in the room, I had good quality towels, I had great food choices, and entertainment every night. We stayed at Grand Pallidium in Jamaica the year before, and we did not want to end our vacation.

Before you book, do your research. Know what is important to you and your family, that will ensure you have a great vacation.

For us, this was just not the right place, it was alright, but for our yearly family vacation, alright is just not good enough!

Ps - we left the property and visited the volcano and waterfall, it was breathtaking and a well worth trip. That was our best day.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brown Sugar, thank you for your review on your stay here at Coconut Bay. I am glad that you enjoyed the vast majority of your stay. And yes we read every one of our guests reviews as it helps us shape our goals and objectives and our areas of strengths as well as things we need to keep improving upon.
I am sorry to hear that there were aspects of your stay that you did not enjoy. As you mentioned we do spray daily to control the mosqitos and depending on the weather we at times will have more pests than others but I can say that it is not an ongoing issue at all.
I apologize for the bath towels as we have changed out our bath towels and do not receive any complaints in this regard. We will look into this however.
The cook to order food at the beach grille is something the majority of our guests appreciate as they know it is prepared for them. We do have the self serve Coney Dog and nacho bar that I hope you were able to enjoy.
I am very disappointed that you missed out on our nightly entertainment all 7 nights of the week that begins at 7:30pm in the lobby and the various shows on the main stage, Blu Bar Stage and Peter johns Loounge - Live bands weekly on the beach and all of the shows that start at 8:30, family Karaoke, Adult only Karaoke, Weekly Adult pool party, Family talent night etc...The disic jockey also runs until past midnight 6 nights a week.
Lastly Id like to respond to the comment that the resort is overrun with locals. We allow a very small amount of locals for day passes per day. While you were here there was a fairly large group of tourists from Martinique as well as a wedding party from Trinadad.

Your coments regarding Beaches Turks and Caicos are taken as I am incredibly familiar with that property having managed there for some time. Its important to compare apples to apples as Beaches Turks and Caicos is at a price point that averages 50-75% more than Coconut Bay. We pride ourself on providing a wonderful experience for a value price.

We thank you for your comments as we continue to strive for excellence.

Boulder City, Nevada, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

First, I want to say that the staff at this hotel was incredibly hospitable and welcoming. The resort itself offers poolside fun for families. My children enjoyed the lazy river and the slides. I must confess, so did I. The actual facilities earned about 2.75 stars out of 5, in my opinion. There were some areas that needed attention. However, I am happy to report that as of this September, the resort is closed for major renovations. Therefore, anyone booked after that time, will probably experience an upgraded Coconut Bay & Resort....lucky you! You will be sure to enjoy yourself. Maryanne, our housekeeper on the Splash side of the resort was a peach! Maryanne catered to our needs and made sure we were equipped with fresh water and a clean room. All in all, Coconut Bay offers value for families on a budget. We enjoyed our time together here and would like to return someday to see the changes that are made in an effort to please guests.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!