“good not great” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Vieux Fort
Toronto, Canada
“good not great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Just spent a week at Coconut Bay Resort & Spa with wife and kids. The resort is average however for the price and the 5 hour flight from toronto I would have much went somewher else
When we arrived at airport three and half hours early,check in was nice and went through customs to grab a bite with family. An hour prior to flight the lady who checked us in found us in the airport and informed us we could not go because the kids passports were to expire in % months. No one told us that all passports must be valid at least 6 months prior to departure. As we went back to the check in counter the manager of the air line we were to travel on took pity on us as the kids were upset and crying and let us board. He said just play dumb and it ont be a problem.
When we arrived there was no problem and from the time we landed to the time we checked in it was about twenty minutes.
At check in we had requested adjoining rooms and I even emailed the resort 6 weeks prior to again ask for adjoining rooms.
However as we were in the family area called the slash side, we were given a room on the forth floor, ocean view but problem was there was no adjoining rooms on this floor.
The resort itself is nice with the lazy river and water slides but they are small and many kids on the resort complained it was very boring.
At night there is not much entertainment for kids and it is very boring.
The resort is in the atlantic side and there is a nice constant breeze that makes the stay in the hot sun enjoyable. The beaches arent bad, they are small and water is nice. A tad rough but nice. No complaints about the see weed as they resort keeps it very clean.
It rained every day for about 5 minutes and dried up as quick as it came.
The food is average and typical of theses resorts.
We took two adventure trips. One was the land and sea which is $120 per adult and $60 per kid. I booked this through the travel rep as she gets a commission. The price is the same at the desk but there is no commission for the travel rep.
We also went zip lining. This was very fun and the highlight of the trip.
The area is safe and town is a twenty five min. walk if you want to venture out. Tourists are treated nice.
The drive to town or your adventure trips is nausiating as the rouds are very twisty and curves every minute. Bring gravol as kids got car sick in the van both times.
Again the resort is average but I was very disappointed with the staff. I am a very generous with tips but it did not matter.
When I ran into an employee on her way home, I asked her why staff see so miserable.
She told we they try to be nice ( and I agree) but they are so understaffed that by mid morning they become grumpy trying to keep up.
The main restaurant opens at 630 pm. There is a bar across from the restaurant that people go for drinks while waiting for the restaurant to open. It is always busy and usually there was one person serving. Sometimes there was two and once three staff, but they disappear to get supplies etc... leaving one bartender sometimes two.
Again, the place isnt terrible but it isnt above average in my opinion and for the price I would have rather went back to Jamica .
We have been to various resorts in Jamica, Mexico, Cuba and I would rate this hotel in St. Lucia last on the list.
I would rate this resort a 3 maybey 3.5 star place.
Hope this helps making up your mind
The rooms are nice

Room Tip: Splas side on 4th level nicest but no adjoining rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (967)
Surrey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Very good resort for families set in idea surroundings. The resort included a mini water park which was excellent for the children and the Kids Club was a godsend for parents. Staff friendly and accommodating but could do with more bar staff in the evenings.
On the downside the food was poor in the main restaurant and the ice cream machines seldomed worked.
We were unfortunate to have a large inflow of Americans during our stay i n the first part of February and, generally, they were loud, uncouthed, ill mannered and often turned up to dinner wearing tatty shorts and tee shirts. Many of them had the head operation in America before arriving which stitches the obligatory baseball cap to their heads in a back to front position and, as a result, the cap is never removed. The dress code was never enforced for dinner in the evenings and personally I found this to be extremely annoying.The entertainment in the evening was very basic.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I stayed at Coconut Bay and we both really enjoyed it It is very close to the airport (5 mins) and you don't notice any airplane noise . We stayed in the Splash side(family side) and at first we were a bit worried about screaming kids etc but it was very quiet despite the numerous families staying at the hotel. The staff are friendly and the room was comfy and spacious. The facilities of the hotel were of a good standard. Free wifi in the lobby but the signal does dissapear frequently.
The only issue that my wife found was that since she is a vegetarian, she found that the food was not labelled and she had to guess whether she could eat particular dishes. She brought up that issue with the manager who hopefully would have taken it onboard.

We both enjoyed our stay and will definitely reccommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Couples: do not be scared about booking on the Splash side. It is close to all the facilities and yo...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Just returned today from coconut bay resort for the 3rd time. Absolutely amazing as always and keeps getting better.. Special mention to the guys that made our holiday so fab..... Anson, Jason, Neville Ritney and Samantha also Mary Anne our wonderful maid who remembers us each year as do all the entertainment team. Bar man Mac and the fab beach grill staff who always give you a warm welcome. Food amazing as always restaurant staff Mary D keep flipping those amazing omelettes , Stanney, petula for serving us all week. You guys just keep getting better. Rooms had new furniture in and the whole resort looks great. My kids never want to leave. New management team this year seem to be doing a great job . Reception staff elva and Craig you are amazing........... Other reception staff please take note........ SMILE first impressions count . Some of the rest of reception staff need a little help in customer service skills...... But the resort just keeps getting better, it's definitely the staff that make this place. We feel like part of the family particularly with the entertainment team. Followed by amazing facilities and food. What more old anyone want. See you all next year!!!! Miss you all !!

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Littlehampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

We recently returned from St Lucia's Coconut Bay Resort and Spa and we couldn't fault it in any way. Spotlessly clean, spacious, fabulous pools, beautiful ocean and the best staff we have come across on our travels which are many. Food good in the buffet and Italian, excellent in The Calabash and amazing in Silks, (Special mention for their staff, Janett, Mokisser, Ima, Owen and Jonah). From the moment you arrive from the 3 minute trip from the airport, (no plane noise in resort from the 3 planes a day in the late afternoon and early evening) it's smile, smile, smile. Greeted by drums, a rum punch and really helpful staff we knew we had made the right choice. Rooms are spacious, clean and well equipped with fridge, coffee and tea making facilites and a note pad and pen left for you to request anything else you may need that they haven't already thought of! The kids club was fantastic and our 10 year old had "the best time ever". The staff again were amazing and special thanks to Nasha from Evie and of course us. Staff make or break a hotel and Coconut Bay has got it exactly right. It was very noticable how well they worked as a team and how well they all got on together. I hope I haven't missed anyone but thanks to Melton, Cassian, Sherring, Oszy, Hidy, Mitch, Lisa, Fatta, Jade, Kayron, Mac-Lee, Bitg Ted, Mel, Kiannon, Mackeba and Small J. You are all the best and even after Sunday's terrible news you were professional and no-one would ever have known what you were all going through. We thank you for the best holiday we have every had as we raise our glasses to Wayne. Take care guys.

Room Tip: We had a ground floor room in front of the main pool, (116) excellent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Good Day Lynne and thank you for taking the time to share your experience at Coconut Bay. We are so proud of our team here at the Resort, they really are amazing and work hard each and every day to ensure all of our guest's holidays are the best possible. We hope that we will see you again very soon and we truly appreciate your condolences on the loss of one of our treasured team. Stay Warm!

Cheers
Mark
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family vacation to Coconut Bay Resort was AMAZING! My entire trip was awesome because of the amazing FLOOR staff. The front desk, food servers, bartenders, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the entertainment team who consisted of:

Carlyle - We met you on our first activity (Yoga). From that point on you did whatever you had to do to make sure myself and my girls were always smiling and having fun. You deserve a HIGH FIVE for how you interacted with all guest at the resort. Thank you for making my vacation so worthwhile. I look forward to seeing where your career heads. YOU ARE A TRUE ASSET TO COCONUT BAY RESORT!

Samantha – Thanks for teaching me some very interesting words in creole. I have used them in the USA a few times already. You made my days so much brighter with your upbeat outgoing personality.

Anson – You just about killed me during the aqua aerobics, but seeing your smile and the way you danced around during this activity made the activity so much more fun and put a smile on my face each time.

Marcelius- Oh Marcellus, not sure what to say about you. You are one of a kind my friend and the resort should be thankful they have you around. You are smooth, upbeat and really know how to work the crowd to insure we all had a great time. JOB WELL DONE YOUNG MAN!

Jamara- My girls thought you were amazing and so do I. What a smart, goal driven young woman you are. HEY GENERAL MANAGEMENT YOU HAVE A GEM HERE TREAT HER RIGHT!!!
Jason and Ritney I thought you were great too. My girls had more interaction with you both and it was pure enjoyment.

My only complaint would be that the some of the management team. The General Manager never said boo to any of my family. I would have thought he would at least ask how our trip was going. At one point I was getting coffee and he was standing side by side and never said a word. I do feel this was a bit odd.

One other issue I would address is the food quality. Buffet was ok, but not the best. If the resort could amp up the food service and quality this resort would for sure be a 5 star place. Yes, it’s a little older than most, but the quality of the staff and location makes this resort an excellent place to be. I read many reviews before traveling to Coconut Bay and I was nervous, but after my experience I WOULD SAY STAY AT THIS RESORT YOU WILL ENJOY IT. IF YOU HAVE A FAMILY THIS IS THE PLACE TO BE.
Thanks again for making our trip/family vacation AMAZING!

Stayed February 2013, Traveled with Family

Madison, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

I just returned from Coconut Bay resort in St. Lucia and it was an absolutely amazing experience. The island of St. Lucia is breathtaking and the waters were so clear and blue. I loved the beach line along our resort which I was able to take advantage by running along it during my first morning at the resort. My mother also ventured into the ocean which is unheard for her as she is deathly afraid! :-)

The food at Calabash and Silks was delicious. I especially enjoyed the shrimp appetizer that I tried at Calabash. I also enjoyed the food at the grill very much. If you are going there, try the Blackened Cajun Chicken sandwich and the chicken wings for sure! Delightful! As for the buffet, it was decent. Nothing spectacular but then again, I never expect greatness from buffet food. The almond cookies were my favorite from the buffet as well as the servers! :-)

The staff at the resort definitely made my experience that much more enjoyable and rewarding. I would like to commend Jamara and Carlyle for the work that they do and I can say that I don't think I would have had the trip that I did without them. Also, Marcellus was funny as all heck and a joy to be around as well as Ritney with his crazy personality. I also would like to say that Sherlanda provided a great service at the buffet with her happy attitude and the smile that was always on her face. I definitely went to the buffet specifically to have her serve my table.

I would also like to thank Samanfer (Samantha, not sure on the spelling) and Anson for being a joy for my mother. My mother enjoyed both of their time and activities very much and this was my mother's first big trip. Overall, it was an unforgettable experience. I will be visiting the island again very soon! My only complaint would be that Jamara would not return to the US and marry me! :-p

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!