“Second visit - hoping for a third” 5 of 5 stars

Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa
3.5 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Vieux Fort, St. Lucia   |
Ranked #1 of 5 hotels in Vieux Fort
Ottawa, Canada
“Second visit - hoping for a third”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

This is our second visit to Coconut Bay, travelling with our daughter, son-in-law and 3 grandchildren... We chose this resort again for a few reasons. It is very family oriented, close to the airport (5 minute transfer), great beach for long walks, good food, and friendly staff who are wonderful with the kids.

The check in process is very quick and efficient. There was fresh rum punch waiting for the adults, and the kids had fruit punch. We quickly got our rooms, put away the luggage, got our bathing suits on and headed for the beach.
Two nights we ate outdoors; 1 western BBQ night with country music, and the other was a Caribbean night with a steel drum band. The food was great, lots to pick from. On the days that we did not go on excursions, we ate at the outdoor beach grill for lunch which serves great pizza, wraps, salads, fish sandwiches, wings, burgers, dogs and fries. The indoor buffet for breakfast and supper was good. There were fresh fruits, salads, plenty of choices of meats/fish, potatoes/rice, and lots of deserts. There is a buffet just for the kids at their own height, where they could get their own food.

The bartenders really deserve a special mention (don’t remember names), but there was more than one who actually served the grandchildren in turn, and didn’t pass them by to take an adults order first - I know because I was watching. The kids have their own drink menu, and I think that makes them feel special.

The only thing different this year was the $250 resort credit. It was given last year as well, but this year it was spelled out in a letter how it should be spent - $50 in gift shop, $75 in spa, $75 in adventure desk etc.
In my opinion, if you are given a $250 gift, you should be the one to decide how to spend it.

Overall we were very satisfied with the service, food and cleanliness of the resort. You never know, we just might make it back next year.

** P.S. Don't forget the about the donkeys - they love apples.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

3,478 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (845)
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I had the best vacation at Coconut Bay Resort. Thanks to your FLOOR staff. The front desk, servers, bartenders, and expecially the entertainment team are AMAZING.

Carlyle- What a great manager and you can tell he enjoys what he does. He seems to be a great team leader and is really focused on guest expierence.

Jason, Ritney, Samantha, Anton are also very fun!

Marcellus- Great Guy!

Jamara- This women is amazing!!!

My only complaint would be that the some of the management team seemed "Dull". I currenlty work in Food and Beverage at a hotel and it was rather disappointing to see a management team walk around the hotel but never really seem to interact with many guests. My family personally made eye contact and walked by managers and I would have to say we never once were asked how are stay was or has been. At one point my mom was standing next to the GM at the coffee station and didn't even get a good morning..... HAVE FUN WITH YOUR TEAM AND VACATIONERS A LITTLE.... I normally would have said something but I wanted to see if this was how it was going to be the entire stay.... this may be just an opinion but it would have been nice to even see the F&B Manager walk around in the dining area to "touch" tables to see how everything was" this may help with all the food complaints the resort seems to have.

The reason I scored your resort at a 5 is because of ALL YOUR FRONT LINE STAFF!!! KUDOS TO THEM!!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

We started our two week Carribean holiday in St Lucia at this resort. It did have good and bad points but the people are the best. It was always windy at the resort, but thats the Carribean. My complaints were the food was often just warm, the veg was raw. The GOOD points were the home cooked variety of fresh bread, and tender meat, the swimming pools including the aquafit with Vernon, "you made your girls push the boundries", my lovely room maid MaryAnn who cleaned our room with such enthusiasm, to the lovely smiling Jimmi who was one of the waiters who were always interested in how you spent your day.Day trip in a taxi if you set the price is awsome, most of the attractions are not brilliant but they are cheap and maintain the economy, I would return to the Island again, because of the people. Barbados didnt live up to this Island.

Room Tip: We were in ground floor Splash room which were fine and the patio doors opened onto the lawn facing...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Mark H, General Manager at Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Good afternoon and thank you for taking the time to share your comments on your stay here at Coconut Bay. We thank you for the glowing comments on the wonderful staff members on our team they truly are the best in the business. Your comments on the temperature of some of the food items are appreciated. We strive daily to ensure we exceed all expectations and comments like yours allows for us to continue to improve in every area.

Thanks again and we hope to see you again soon.

Cheers
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I have just returned from a wonderful trip to St. Lucia and stayed at the Coconut Bay and what an absolute credit the staff are to the owner and managment, they should be very proud!

The hotel itself is divided into two distinct areas and we were stying on the Harmony side. Our room was lovely, spotlessly clean and maintained that way throughout our stay, my compliments to Housekeeping!

We sampled all the restaurants as well as the nightly menus in the main restaurant, and all the food was lovely. Great breakfast selection with lovely fresh fruit, plentiful choice for hot breakfast and great snack bar open all day long.

We did enjoy Junius at the adult pool bar, and his banter with the guests was great, and definitely encouraged lots of conversation and chatting between the guests, you may have arrived knowing only the people you travelled with but you definitely left knowing a load more, which is always fun! However I must also mention Akon and Fatta who also looked after the bar, as they were also great at keeping this bar my favourite to go! Shame it has such an early close.

I would mention all the activities the hotel offers by way of walks, exercise classes, games and fun activities, i would normally not be quite so energetic on holidays but there was so much to try it was really good.

The one huge plus was also the proximity to the airport with transfers of literally 5 minutes, what's not to love!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

I want to start off by thanking the entire resort for giving us a wonderful time!! The employees at this place are wonderful! Friendly welcoming and just plain great!!! Special people that I met were: Small J, Morgan , Junius,and Kay at the adult pool bar. Sejay at the late night beach cafe, thanks for making all off our late night requests!! Melton at the lobby bar. He was my husbands buddy. " Big Mike says Hi from Pittsburgh"!!,Jamara who does the entertainment was a cutie pie!! Javid at the pools" the pool guy", was fun to talk to. I am the "pool girl" at my house!!! There were alos tons of other who did great stuff for us but these guys were our favorites!! To start my review, our first impression was this place needs a make over, and thats what they are doing. I would of given it a three star but felt guilty doing that;).. There is a new GM from Canada that we met who is working on the spruce up and talking to Ed who is also on the management team( happens to be my new BFF Bev's friend, Lol) there are alot of exciting new things planned!! We will be back to check this out!! The food was okay. We ate at the Silk Asia place and also the Italian. My husband is Italian and we really didnt care for the food there. I loved the wings for the superbowl party and met the chef to request the receipe. I talked to a few other people who promised to get me the receipe. I didnt get it though. Hopefully someone who reads this can do this. That would be great!! Things like this are what make a difference in a 3,4 or 5 star resort!!! We ate breakfast at the buffet . They offer an adult breakfast by the pool if you dont want to hang with the kiddies. We did it once, it was ok. Speaking of the kiddies, the resort does a great job of keeping the kids and the adults only pool seperate. There is the " buffer pool" in between the kids area and the adult only pool. Great idea!! Our first day there we were in the main pool and it was really quiet. The kid pool has a water slide and a lazy river. The kids all stay there. Why if you were a kid would you go any where else!!! The kids I did see seemed very well behaved, good job parents!! I saw ,I think her name was Auntie at one evening event and she was taking care and watching her charges. When my kids were small I would of loved for her to keep an eye on them. She gives off a grandmotherly vibe! Bet she gives great hugs!! We spent all the rest of our vacation at the adult pool with our "new friends"!! My husband and I met the best people here!! Very friendly, fun and we all had alot in common. Many people though we all came as a group! I spent a week getting to know a bunch of wonderful people! You all know who you are!! Thank you guys as well!!!! I met so many people and on our last day they sang us away with the adult pool bar song and " see ya later suckers"!! How fun! The bartenders at the pool bar were great. There is a new trainee, a pretty young lady who is a bit clueless and I think she could use some hands on training with the more experienced bar tenders. Small J that is your new assignment!! LOL. Well, as I usually try to stay away from the negatives I have to say this. The whole Julius deal kind of sucked! I know there was an issue with a grumpy guest complainer. I am pretty sure he was the one guy who as we first arrived was whining to me about Julius. My husband and I said to each other why dosent he just go to another bar. That was pretty much what after talking to the rest of the guests felt also! We know he was given a week off. I think he makes this place at the adult pool come alive, and the first day after he was gone was like a tomb! Bummer! We didnt really get to know him and for that we are sad. Im not going to question the managements descision because Im sure they had reasons to do what they did but it was kind of a let down for us. Small J did come in and with his great smile get the place moving again. He is very professional and I cam see him hopefuly moving up the management ladder!! For the guest who did the complaining, shame on you! You r words and actions affected alot of people on our vacations. If you are at home and a bar is not where you feel comfortable you wouldnt go there. You should of just moved on and let the rest of us have fun! All right, moving on we will be back!! I am excited to see all the new stuff the are planning. Firepits outside the upstairs area, new updated rooms etc. Our room was ok . It had a beautiful oceanview that I am missing big time. We were on the Adult Harmaony side. Our room was not yet updated but it was bright and clean! The bed was comfortable and the pillows nice! The bathroom was set up weird! The towels are over the potty and you have to get out of shower and walk over to get them. The maid service was pretty good. Kind of inconsistant with what you had stocked in your room each day. That should probably be addressed. We just made due with what they gave us. We did leave the maids a few dollars here and there. After that we did get a few hand written notes telling us to have a great day etc... That was nice. You do get flower petels and towel art each day. Cute touch!! Speaking of tipping. You do not have to but we do. For wonderful service, we do. If you do, I bet you get even better service like we did! We say hi to everybody from the maintance workers all the way up to the managers! Be nice ,fellow guests and smile and this place will have a specail place in you hearts like it has in ours!!! I am going to end with we had a wonderful time, enjoyed all the people we met from fellow guests to the people who work here! The island is beautiful, we took an all day tour with a driver and did the sunset cruise. Both fun! We had a couples massage, nice. Needed music in the massage area but nice. We will be back in the futere and again thanks to everyone who we met and made this so far the best vacation ever, ever!! Much love and hope to see ya later SUCKERS!!!!!!

Room Tip: We had room on forth floor, 443.It hada beautiful ocean front view!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

First time to Saint Lucia and we can’t say enough about the island, resort and staff.
Everyone made us feel very welcome. Staff was cheerful and accommodating at every turn. The general manager is always mingling and making sure that guests are enjoying their visit. Our room was on the fourth floor on the Harmony side and was updated, spotless and very comfortable. I always say that a clean room and a comfortable bed are the two most important elements for an enjoyable stay and this resort did not disappoint. The housekeeper (Shirley) took great care of us and left friendly messages each day.
Although we didn’t try the swimming pools they looked very inviting. Personally, we prefer the beach and ocean for swimming. The beach was beautiful and the water was warm. We read lots about seaweed and found it to be a complete non-issue. What does accumulate is cleaned daily and is actually not seaweed at all but seagrass which is soft and easy to walk over if evident. The resort does a great job of cleaning it up with special beach grooming equipment.
The location couldn’t be more perfect with close proximity to the airport. The planes are not a disturbance at all and the trade winds really help to keep you cool.
For entertainment there is always something to do. The people of Saint Lucia are warm and friendly and really proud of their island.
If planning excursions separate from those organized by the resort I’d recommend hiring Nerv’s taxi service. Nice vehicles and professional staff.

Room Tip: Fourth floor rooms have the best view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

We had such a wonderful experience at Coconut Bay last January. Arriving at the airport I noticed that I had left my jacket at the resort. I called as soon as I got home to have it sent to me at my expense. Mr. Evans emailed to say that they did not have it and would reimburse me for it. After emailing Mr. Ingler, Mr. Gregorson and Mr. Mekeje at Coconut Bay Resort and being reassured by Mr. Gregorson and Mr. Mekeje that I would receive the reimbursement promised to me by Mr. Evans and Mr. Taylor I am still waiting 12 months later. Every e-mail has been so positive but so far nothing promised has been followed through on. :^(

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!